csennett
Conscript

Cannot move Militia

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:02 pm

Hope someone can help.

Turn 2 of the Full 61 Campaign playing as CSA

Dallas has just been taken by the Union and I got the event thing that says if we retake it in 5 months we gain something or other :-)

I have a small militia force in Galveston that I want to move up north to support the Texas reaction force in doing this.

But no matter what I do they refuse to move.

No little locks on the tabs, no tooltips. When I Drag and drop the icon just zips back to Galveston with no movement shown.

What am I doing wrong ?

Plus gotta say the whole 'ERTY' keys need a lotta work. Sometimes they cycle, other times they don't. Then I reload a saved game and they do work. Then I reload it and they don't work. Playing on 1.05.

Rafiki

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:06 pm

If you hover your mouse over the units that are part of that force (each and every one), what do they say? Anything about the unit being stationary or things like that?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pdubya64
Captain

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Rafiki, I have had this one too. Sorry I wish now I had taken a screenshot.

Anyway, here is what happens.

1. The Dallas event fires and units appear in Galveston.
  2. I believe there are 2 Militia units, 1 Cav(?) and 1 Arty
  3. The 2 Militia units have a "lock" graphic next to their token on the main map (upper left corner)
  4. IIRC, the "lock" does NOT appear anywhere else though...
  5. If separated out, the Cav and Arty (or whatever they are) CAN move
  6. When I tried to move the Militia by drag and drop to outside Galveston City, you get some strange message that says something to the effect of "This unit cannot enter the terrain in question"

I completely forgot about this one until csennet mentioned it.

McNaughton

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 pm

csennett wrote:Hope someone can help.

Turn 2 of the Full 61 Campaign playing as CSA

Dallas has just been taken by the Union and I got the event thing that says if we retake it in 5 months we gain something or other :-)

I have a small militia force in Galveston that I want to move up north to support the Texas reaction force in doing this.

But no matter what I do they refuse to move.

No little locks on the tabs, no tooltips. When I Drag and drop the icon just zips back to Galveston with no movement shown.

What am I doing wrong ?

Plus gotta say the whole 'ERTY' keys need a lotta work. Sometimes they cycle, other times they don't. Then I reload a saved game and they do work. Then I reload it and they don't work. Playing on 1.05.

Are all units in the group unlocked? Even if your militia is unlocked, if you select the stack, and try to move the stack, which has just one locked unit, you cannot. If there is one locked unit, separate it from the rest (select the unlocked units, make their own stack in the territory, then move).

Rafiki

Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:39 pm

I've seen 3 different varieties of unit locking (that I can think of right now):

- Locked for X turns
- Locked till under attack
- "Stationary" (haven't seen this too much, so I'm not too knowledgeable about it)

These should behave the same. Whenever any stack contains any unit that is locked, the entire stack becomes locked, and you get the "This unit cannot enter the terrain in question"-message. (One could argue that in this case it would help to have a better message, a la "Stack contains units that are not allowed to leave their current region"; something for the "Help improve AACW"-forum?).

In any case, the best way to check this is to check the tooltip for each unit in the stack where you are wondering about this. The tooltip provides exact info about how and for how long the unit is locked, and most importantly, that it is in fact locked. Then handle it in the way McNaughton describes. :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

csennett
Conscript

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Okay all,

I separated the 4 units involved. Here they are:

2nd Texas Militia
3rd Texas Militia
11th Texas Cav
2nd Texas Arty

The 11th and 2nd can move. The 2nd/3rd cannot.

The stack tooltips on the map provide no clues but if you hover over the unit in the 'unit display' at the bottom of the screen part of the tooltip says:

"2nd Texas is a static unit (wont move out of region)"

Same for the 3rd.

Guess the moral is if a stack does not behave as you think it should hover over every unit in the tab at the bottom of the screen.

BTW The manual makes no mention of 'Static Units'

And please, call me Chris. :)

Rafiki

Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:14 pm

"Static unit", there you go :)

(I had a feeling I had the wrong word for it)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

csennett
Conscript

Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Yes but they are not locked - no padlock icon.

So are there static units dotted around the game I cannot move ? Makes sense for militia units defending the homestead I guess but the manual makes no mention of them.

Are all militia 'static' ? It would appear not.

And I have to say again the ERTY keys need some serious loving

Units pop up in the sequence when I have 'sentried' them and then they don't. Cntl S does not seem to unlock all the Sentried units.

Pretty basic stuff for a computer wargame to go to next stack.

alexander seil

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:33 pm

There's two kinds of militia, from what I can see - the State Militia (static garrisons) that are present at the beginning in many states, and the volunteers that you raise yourself and get from events. The State Militia is just static, period, not just locked in place. However, some of the militia that appears on the map at the beginning is not State Militia and can move once attacked.

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:52 am

I haven't seen "static units" before so I guess it is something of recent invention by AGEOD. But I think it is a good idea so I just work around it.
"Saw steamer, strafed same, sank same, some sight, signed smith" From "The Thousand Mile War" by Brian Garfield.

Lafrite

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 am

There is a little bug, you see the lock only when you try to move the militia, Pocus said me in a mail that he will add a tooltips in a next patch.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”