Jacek
Major

Wounded generals

Wed May 30, 2007 2:04 pm

I know there aren't too many generals in AACW from the start of the campign, but once some of them are wounded they lick their wounds in one turn and are good to go once again. They should at least be locked in some hospital for an extra turn or two to heal.

gbs
Colonel

Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Agree.

rickd79
Colonel

Wed May 30, 2007 2:41 pm

A variable amount of turns would be great......

For instance a concussion might result in the general being available the next turn (Think Heth at Gettysburg).

Amputations and other severe injuries could result in anything from a couple of turns to 6-9 months (Think Ewell after 2nd Bull Run Campaign).

gbs
Colonel

Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Yes I believe he was fitted with a special saddle so he could ride with one leg. Tough guy that Ewell.

anarchyintheuk
Lieutenant

Wed May 30, 2007 5:06 pm

I think Hood wins in the "most appendages lost" category.

caranorn

Wed May 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Just to note that AACW (and BOA) wounds only seem to occur when a unit is destroyed and it's leader is relocated to a nearby town. I don't think there is an actual process to wound leaders in the games.
Marc aka Caran...

LMUBill
Lieutenant

Wed May 30, 2007 10:52 pm

anarchyintheuk wrote:I think Hood wins in the "most appendages lost" category.

He is the "Black Knight" of the ACW. :siffle:

pasternakski
Colonel

Thu May 31, 2007 12:05 am

LMUBill wrote:He is the "Black Knight" of the ACW. :siffle:

Had worse...

runyan99

Thu May 31, 2007 4:25 am

caranorn wrote:Just to note that AACW (and BOA) wounds only seem to occur when a unit is destroyed and it's leader is relocated to a nearby town. I don't think there is an actual process to wound leaders in the games.

Quite right.

However, I think that 'locking' a general for a random number of turns who has been wounded in such a manner is a quality idea. It would be an appropriate penalty for losing the general's force, while still returning the leader to play later.

Jacek
Major

Thu May 31, 2007 5:52 am

I know nothing 'bout programming, but I think it could be a quick fix, jut let the generals "rest" for some turns, that's all.

gbs
Colonel

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:46 pm

I bring this back up just to give it some more air time. I to would like to see wounded Generals locked in a city for some period depending on the severity of the injury. It seems that the severity could be determined by some random roll. For example, superficial wounds could be activated the very next turn whereas the loss of a limb might require being locked for at least 4 turns (2 months).
I don't know how hard this would be to do but it would provide a bit more richness to the game. Can you imagine if Lee were in Charlottsville recovering for 4 turns. It would require the temporary adjustment of your whole command structure. :niark: Just my 2 cents.

Stonewall

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:23 pm

This proposal has all sorts of problems that I would personally not have to deal with. There is no in-game system of promotions. So, if your Army commander is wounded and locked away in some random town, what happens if you have no 3-star generals available to command tha army? IRL, someone would have stepped in and took over, but the game mechanics provide no opportunity for this. With no army commander, you have no corps and your army becomes a mass of 35% command penalty stacks ripe for destruction by a competant opponent.

Assume a leader has serious wounds and is out of action for 12 months. Who gets promoted in his place? Like army commanders, there is no promotion system whereby a wounded leader is replaced. Divisional commander goes down and nobody replaces him. Not very realistic, IMHO.

I suppose my point is that while the idea is a neat one in terms of adding some flavor to an already very pallateable game, to add this one last taste requires a lot more coding that one would think.

Just my 2 cents.

McNaughton

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:39 pm

I suppose that could be a problem, but it is such a rare occurance as to be virtually a non-issue. The mechanics in place place leaders in command of armies (i.e., 3 star generals) to have a substantially lower chance of getting killed or wounded in an action. I doubt it would come to a point where you are completley lacking a 3 star commander as all of yours have been strategically killed off/wounded (as the union, in 1861 you start with 3 in the East!). In principal I do agree here, but, in practise, I think it has a very low chance of ever happening to put it low on priorities.

gbs
Colonel

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:45 pm

Stonewall and McNaughton, I appreciate your comments. I certainly don't know zip about coding. I just see a longer resting period for wounded leaders as a slight boost to realism. But having said that, I love the game as it is also.

Pocus

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:43 am

this has been done for the next update. As McNaughton says, the chances of an army commander receiving a wound is nearing zero and can only happen if the HQ stack itself is badly mauled.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jacek
Major

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:50 am

Stonewall wrote:This proposal has all sorts of problems that I would personally not have to deal with. There is no in-game system of promotions. So, if your Army commander is wounded and locked away in some random town, what happens if you have no 3-star generals available to command tha army? IRL, someone would have stepped in and took over, but the game mechanics provide no opportunity for this. With no army commander, you have no corps and your army becomes a mass of 35% command penalty stacks ripe for destruction by a competant opponent.

Yeah, but what happens if your HQ is destroyed completely in a battle and your army commander thanks to his evasion points licks his wounds three regions away from the battlefield. Isn't it the same situation? Your chain of command is totally destroyed- no army, no corps( espaecially if you don't have an Army HQ replacement). You bulid a new one, but for several turns all yours stacks operate with comabt penalties.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”