Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Jackson's Rolling Thunder

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Jackson has the special ability of "Fast Mover". I suppose that this ability would give his Corps a boost with Marching to the Sound of the Guns. I have an additional use. As the South, I purchase three of the Coastal Artillery, all of the Columbiads and a few Siege Mortars. These batteries would normally slow an Army down to a crawl, but not with Jackson in command of their stack. In my last game, Jackson had one Division of Infantry with a sailor for the river crossing bonus, the 3 Coastal batteries, 2 Mortars and 9 Columbiads. His Corps was able to keep pace with a rebel army of 100k that crossed the Potomac in 19 days during the late winter of 1862. The Confederates then swung east in 3 days during early spring to crush the defenders of D.C. The overwhelming artillery might was instrumental in the final victory.

aariediger
Sergeant

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Not sure, but I don't think Coastal Artillery can fire in land battles. I do think they let it count towards siege rolls though, as once in a PBEM game as the South I launched a counteroffensive in the west and besieged Ft. Donaldson, but it just would not fall. I eventually captured the rail lines leading to it, and railed in a battery of coastal artillery, and finally started to score some breeches.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:43 pm

aariediger:

That is my understanding as well. The high power number from a Coastal Artillery can scare Athena off sometimes, she looks at the number without considering that the Coasties can't participate.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Nice to know. It works with just mortars and Columbiads too.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”