nevada73
Sergeant

The Great Lakes Navy!?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 am

Anyone know how to get ships that you build (gunboats, ironclads) that appear on the Great Lakes to get out of there? I built an Illinois gunboat that appeared in Chicago and an Ohio ironclad that appeared in Cleveland. I am sure there is a way and probably already answered somewhere I am just to lazy to troll through all the threads looking. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.- Anyone ever thought of an option that allows you to move depots? Might take up a lot of rail or river transport and take the depot out of play for a few turns, but seems like a reasonable action that you could at least get your stockpiles moved at perhaps a high logistical cost. Just a thought.

With my compliments,

Jim-NC

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 am

There is a passage from the great lakes to the Pittsburgh? area (it's been awhile since I looked). If you drag your ships to the river section near Pittsburgh, you will see a movement path to the area. Once they are on the Ohio River, they can be used on the Ohio or Mississippi watershed as needed. You won't see a movement path if part of the way is blocked by ice (happens every winter). If this is the case, just wait until spring.

Note, Ocean restricted ships can't sail this way (such as the Brooklyn? I think, that has to stay in the Great Lakes).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nevada73
Sergeant

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Ah got it thanks. Ohio and Erie Canal, starts in Erie region and runs into the Allegheny on to Pittsburgh. Looks like a road from a distance. Works for riverine craft built on Lake Michigan (a la Chicago) as well. Now what to do with those gunboats that appeared in Philadelphia instead of Pittsburgh? I really need to streamline the The Standardized Union Army/Navy conscripts, war supplies, and general supplies price estimation and location requisition Department of War form (DOW Form 1). :bonk:

colonel hurst
Corporal

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:03 pm

You can also take ships that are built in Chicago and run them down the Illinois river to the Mississippi near St. Louis. Only takes a few days.

Jim-NC

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

nevada73 wrote:Ah got it thanks. Ohio and Erie Canal, starts in Erie region and runs into the Allegheny on to Pittsburgh. Looks like a road from a distance. Works for riverine craft built on Lake Michigan (a la Chicago) as well. Now what to do with those gunboats that appeared in Philadelphia instead of Pittsburgh? I really need to streamline the The Standardized Union Army/Navy conscripts, war supplies, and general supplies price estimation and location requisition Department of War form (DOW Form 1). :bonk:

Unfortunately, the game engine does not force gunboats to be in the western part of PA only. You can also sometimes build Monitors in Pittsburgh.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nevada73
Sergeant

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:34 am

How much would it cost in VP and NM to get this up and running again, lol? The Allegheny Portage Railroad.

Apparently boats were not a problem. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_Portage_Railroad

nevada73
Sergeant

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 am

You can move the gunboats/ironclads from Philly to Pittsburgh. I just dragged and dropped. Giving me 50 days travel up the coast/Hudson/Albany/Buffalo/Lake Erie/on to Pittsburgh. I will continue the drag/drop method until the War Department can actually assign me a proper general staff. Gen. Scott just sits in the garden outside all day babbling about an anaconda snake or something. :wacko:

Thanks for the help Jim-NC

Jim-NC

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:49 am

That's why we're here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

orca
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:36 am

Be careful. Unless you put in somewhere in New Jersey your gunboats are likely to take damage in the trip from Philadelphia to New York.

I don't build the Pennsylvania gunboats and ironclads. If you build the ironclads, they are almost as seaworthy as monitors, so you might as well use them in the Chesapeake. If you're going to send gunboats all the way around to the Mississippi I think it makes more sense to build brigs and send them. The brigs are a little more expensive, but they can transport an element or two, and have much better firepower than the gunboats.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”