Taillebois
General of the Army

Sid Meier's Gettysburg - works on windows 8 ! For ACW old timers only.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:46 pm

For any of you old timers who may remember it - I've just tried and got it to work under Windows 8.

Run cmd - to get dos prompt then run setup.exe on the CD (My drive was E :)

Download the XP compatibility patch - find this on web - it seems to be not on Firaxis site now.

Set Lee.exe to run in XP compatibility

You need the CD to run all the scenarios and the full game, but without the CD you can still play about six scenarios.

Good enough for a quick blast - I found normal speed worked best for me.

I know it's not AACW - but I wouldn't have AACW if it wasn't for this classic old game.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am

Loved that game growing up. There's the Scourge of War series, which I guess is sort of the spiritual successor to the Sid Meier's games.

But I'm still waiting and hoping that one of these days some developer will make a great strategic civil war game that includes a dynamic 3D tactical battle engine that will allow the player to fight out the battles that happen from movement on the campaign map... one day it will happen.

I remember reinstalling SMG on a Win 7 system with the XP patch and it worked too. First DOS box and now XP patches. God I hate O/S upgrades. It's like a new car, as soon as you buy it and take it home there's an even newer and shinier one that comes out and makes yours obsolete.

Durk

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:45 am

You remind me of my own favorite dos game, Frank Hunter's American Civil War. Delightful game at the strategic level, still available in a free download. Windows 7 and 8 have allowed some old gems like Hunter's wonderful game to see new life. Boomer, I totally understand your analogy to a new car, since when could you open the hood and do something useful?
Will our new and anxiously awaited update to Ageod's classic ACW game allow us to experience the thrill of opening these old chestnuts? Yes, of course. I am an eternal optimist.

Justus2
Conscript

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:20 am

Durk wrote:You remind me of my own favorite dos game, Frank Hunter's American Civil War. Delightful game at the strategic level, still available in a free download. Windows 7 and 8 have allowed some old gems like Hunter's wonderful game to see new life. Boomer, I totally understand your analogy to a new car, since when could you open the hood and do something useful?
Will our new and anxiously awaited update to Ageod's classic ACW game allow us to experience the thrill of opening these old chestnuts? Yes, of course. I am an eternal optimist.

I loved the Frank Hunter ACW, played that for years. Had a long-running PBEM with an American who had moved to Spain, great memories.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:36 am

I think I heard a rumor recently that Frank Hunter was working on a new version of his game. Some of the guys over at the Matrix Games forum were talking about it. Who knows, that might be one of those old rumors that get kicked around forever. Be nice to see though. Hunter did so much with so little with that engine. Hell, the whole game download is only like 6 megs. That's a lot of fun in a small package right there.

gekkoguy82
Major

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Frank Hunter's ACW is what got me really really interested computer wargaming :cool: I remember buying my boxed copy at EB Games many moons ago.

Classic.

Durk

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:41 am

Wow, would that be great if Frank Hunter's game were updated and back in circulation. Thanks for the rumours and testimonials.

steer
Civilian

Question

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:59 am

Taillebois wrote:For any of you old timers who may remember it - I've just tried and got it to work under Windows 8.

Run cmd - to get dos prompt then run setup.exe on the CD (My drive was E :)

Download the XP compatibility patch - find this on web - it seems to be not on Firaxis site now.

Set Lee.exe to run in XP compatibility

You need the CD to run all the scenarios and the full game, but without the CD you can still play about six scenarios.

Good enough for a quick blast - I found normal speed worked best for me.

I know it's not AACW - but I wouldn't have AACW if it wasn't for this classic old game.

I tried to follow the directions you gave including downloading the XP compatibility patch. The title screen comes up but when I hit "Proceed" nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:16 am

I'm travelling in Spain at the moment and don't have my win 8 laptop with me. And I'm not really a PC pro person - I just tried and found Gettysburg worked for me.

If you got the title screen - the one with about four or five red bars of options - I think I then pressed "Play a scenario" and it came up with the twenty or so to choose from.

If it becomes too much aggro it is probably just better to buy an old XP laptop from a garage sale for a few bucks.

FastAttack56
Civilian

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:12 am

It would be just as cool if someone was able to pick up where Sierra left off with CWGII and my namesake Fast Attack. Great games which just went by the wayside when Sierra just quit ...being...
Anyway, I also got SMG to work on 8.

richfed

Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Boomer wrote:Loved that game growing up. There's the Scourge of War series, which I guess is sort of the spiritual successor to the Sid Meier's games.

But I'm still waiting and hoping that one of these days some developer will make a great strategic civil war game that includes a dynamic 3D tactical battle engine that will allow the player to fight out the battles that happen from movement on the campaign map... one day it will happen.

I remember reinstalling SMG on a Win 7 system with the XP patch and it worked too. First DOS box and now XP patches. God I hate O/S upgrades. It's like a new car, as soon as you buy it and take it home there's an even newer and shinier one that comes out and makes yours obsolete.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg is much more like the Sid Meier's. Try it. Pretty good!
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:15 pm

richfed wrote:Ultimate General: Gettysburg is much more like the Sid Meier's. Try it. Pretty good!

You are absolutley right. But there is something missing that i can´t really put my finger on that was in the original and not in Ultimate General.
And by the way they are working on a new Ultimate General Game :)

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:15 pm

I still play this game regularly. The random games are quick, exciting, and the AI puts up a really good fight! Works fine on Windows 10.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”