godfather
Private

Noob questions about foraged regions, controlling a region and dealing with raiders

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:19 pm

I have some questions regarding foraged regions, controlling a region and dealing with raiders.

1.Is there anyway to “unforage” a region? Who is doing the foraging?
2.How long does my unit have to be in an enemy controlled region before the flag changes to mine? Does it matter which or how many of my units are in the territory such as cavalry etc?
3.What is the most efficient way of dealing with CSA raiding parties that make there way up north?

Captain_Orso

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:46 pm

godfather wrote:I have some questions regarding foraged regions, controlling a region and dealing with raiders.

Well, let's have a look-see.

godfather wrote:1.Is there anyway to “unforage” a region?

Click the 'continue to next turn button until' until August or so comes around :cool:

godfather wrote:Who is doing the foraging?

Foragers :w00t:

godfather wrote:2.How long does my unit have to be in an enemy controlled region before the flag changes to mine?

>50% :confused:

godfather wrote:Does it matter which or how many of my units are in the territory such as cavalry etc?

No, it's still >50% ;)

godfather wrote:3.What is the most efficient way of dealing with CSA raiding parties that make there way up north?

Kill them :mdr:

ImageImageImageImage

:blink: Wha-AA-aat?!? All my answers are correct

Okay okay, let's take those answers and Image and look for some better answers Image

;)

godfather wrote:1.Is there anyway to “unforage” a region?

Not actively. You can just wait until the next "harvest season" comes around. IIRC the only effects of a region having been completely foraged is that until the next harvesting season that region cannot again be foraged.

godfather wrote:Who is doing the foraging?

Probably small units units with very low detection ratings, such as raiders, rangers, partisans, etc. If it just appeared and you didn't see the unit doing it, then you should keep your eyes open for raiders to be hitting rail lines or trying to cut supply.

godfather wrote:2.How long does my unit have to be in an enemy controlled region before the flag changes to mine?

It depends. If you win a fairly large battle in a region in which you had very little Military Control (MC) you can expect a large jump in MC up to 100% if you have completely removed the enemy from that region. If you've just walked in with an early war cavalry or two, expect it to take a long time.

I don't know the formula, but the higher the Police Value (and Power I think), the quicker.

godfather wrote:Does it matter which or how many of my units are in the territory such as cavalry etc?

Police Value (and maybe Power) count. Having 100 militia units in a region, each with a Police Value of 0 will do nothing.

godfather wrote:3.What is the most efficient way of dealing with CSA raiding parties that make there way up north?

Kill them :mdr:

And the best way to kill units--enemy or your own--is to starve them.
  • That you need to guard depots, I should not have to tell you by now.
  • Towns that you are not garrisoning will provide raiders with supplies, not much in general, but they don't need much either.
  • Harbors are always forgotten and the very easiest way for raiders to find supplies.
Keep these guarded with at least a single militia unit and the raiders will have no place to get any supplies other than foraging, which is far from reliable.

Once all the fixed positions are guarded, spread a few cavalry and single or double infantry units behind your lines where raiders could be expected to attack. The infantry :gardavou: is for cutting off retreat and the cavalry is for running them down like dogs :dada: .

• Do not forget to use rail :hat: and river :niark: movement to be quicker than the raiders and get in front of or behind them.
  • Do not use your interceptors to repair damaged rails unless you are certain that you have driven off all of the raiders. Shift a militia garrison over to do it.

And if you catch one ... Image

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

I will give your questions a try but I don’t consider my self an expert. Some others can jump in with better answers.

1. No once a region is Pillaged it can not be foraged for supplies. This last an amount of time or a season, I don’t know the mechanics but it will reset in time.

2. Each unit has a patrol value and a policing value. Cavalry has a higher patrol value and can convert control of a region a little quicker than a single militia unit but the more units you have in a region the quicker that it will convert to your control. Also the amount of time spent in the region matters. A cavalry unit that enters on day 13 will not have as much effect as a unit entering the region on day 2 would. A large powerful stack may convert a region in only a few days while marching through it to a different region.

3. Everyone has a different idea on this one. You can send units after them or just send units to repair the rails they destroy. To kill them you usually have to surround them and attack them, keeping them sounded every turn and still they usually die from lack of supply rather than combat losses. The greater threat is that they will destroy any depots which are not garrisoned. Even if they disappear from the map they may only be hiding and will show up someplace else in a couple of turns.

If it is a small force you can sometimes ignore it. Bigger ones have to be fought.

Woops! I see the Capt. Already beat me to this! :wavey:

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”