DrPostman

Does Athena ever invade New Orleans

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:19 am

I have never seen it happen in all the times I've played the South on several difficulty
levels. I have noticed an obsession with Charleston. I can count on at least 2 if
not 3 strong attempts to take it (3 forts and it seems that Athena never gets very
mauled). What are your experiences with this?
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

marecone

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am

I usually play as Union. Athena has been much improved but old Clovis mod made her rally shine. Mod is not active any more and Clovis is gone but when it was active, it was insaine. AI was making decisions based on his changes in code and it felt like you were playing against the human. In his mod Athena hardly ever or even never made strategical mistakes and was very hard nutt tu brake.

As ACW2 will probably come out this year with many new features of wich I can't speak right now, rest assured that AI will be more to the task.
On the other side of the coin I am still amazed what Athena manages to do as ACW is very complex and there are many decisions to be made.

Just my two cents and sorry on a small offtopic.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

DrPostman

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that ACW 2 will handle things differently. Will we still
call her "Athena" though?
:laugh:

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm

In most of my games, Athena did not persue much of a naval adventure. I must say that I put a strong garrison in New Orleans, and maybe she saw that and never attacked (I always try to leave at least a division in NO vs. Athena).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:28 am

She does in my games (1 out of 5-ish....), but usually prefers to go for Charleston and/or Savannah.

Either way, the Yankee invader is usually pushed back into the sea/starved to death/both.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

DrPostman

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Even if I put a strong force in Charleston it never seems to dissuade Athena from barging past 3 forts
to land next door to the city, then besiege Ft. Sumpter with endless supply.

Most games I do no more than leave a brigade in NOLA, usually just the locked units that show up there.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

DrPostman wrote:Even if I put a strong force in Charleston it never seems to dissuade Athena from barging past 3 forts
to land next door to the city, then besiege Ft. Sumpter with endless supply.

Most games I do no more than leave a brigade in NOLA, usually just the locked units that show up there.

Yes, the barging past the forts and then letting the force starve is one of the more questionable moves by Athena.

It's only a short walk from there to Robertsonville prison for any surviving Yankee invaders, so I really don't mind.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

DrPostman

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:52 pm

MarkCSA wrote:Yes, the barging past the forts and then letting the force starve is one of the more questionable moves by Athena.
It's only a short walk from there to Robertsonville prison for any surviving Yankee invaders, so I really don't mind.

Well, I now have 2 Union divisions setting out from that region next to Charleston and heading for Anderson SC. They took one small
undefended town and I'm sure they'll at least take a couple more before I can even start to deal with them. Seems that Athena find
enough supplies though to do things like this frequently.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”