dongaron
Conscript

Division Activation

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm not sure about the mechanics of forming a division. I know, with the latest patch there's the hard-wired date, and there's the cost, but sometimes even with those criteria met it won't let me form one. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi dongaron,

First off, creating a division requires that the following resources are available:

* 10 money
* 1 conscript company
* 5 war supplies

These costs are payed when the turn is resolved.

The turn the new division is formed, the commander will suffer a penalty to his stats. If you are unable to pay the resource-cost of forming the division, the administrative penalty the commander suffers while forming the division will continue into the next turn and as long as you are unable to pay the cost (or you decide to disassemble the new division).

Procedure

To form a division, first select a general (he must be active in the current turn) and press the ‘enable divisional command’ button. Then select the units and the general to be included in the division and click the “create division” special order. You can break down a division into its constituent units at any time and without any penalty.

Well, I hope this help you. ;)

Greetings! :hat:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

picaron

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:08 am

From October, 1861 :thumbsup:

:wavey:
Sorprende al enemigo mediante la estrategia y el secreto, mediante lo inesperado y la rapidez de tus operaciones

Dulce bellum inexpertis

dongaron
Conscript

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:29 am

Ethan wrote:Hi dongaron,

First off, creating a division requires that the following resources are available:

* 10 money
* 1 conscript company
* 5 war supplies

These costs are payed when the turn is resolved.

The turn the new division is formed, the commander will suffer a penalty to his stats. If you are unable to pay the resource-cost of forming the division, the administrative penalty the commander suffers while forming the division will continue into the next turn and as long as you are unable to pay the cost (or you decide to disassemble the new division).

Procedure

To form a division, first select a general (he must be active in the current turn) and press the ‘enable divisional command’ button. Then select the units and the general to be included in the division and click the “create division” special order. You can break down a division into its constituent units at any time and without any penalty.

Well, I hope this help you. ;)

Greetings! :hat:

What constitutes an active general?

Captain_Orso

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 am

Actually its an activated leader. If the little envelope on the right side of the Unit Display is light beige, he's activated; if it's brown, we call it "having a brownie" and he is inactivated.

Also note, when you hover over the command button, create division command, a tool-tip will tell you the costs for forming a division. Also2 note, the costs in $, WSU and CC are immediately subtracted from the ledger; so the ledger reflects the correct situation. It you subsequently decide not to build a division and un-press the build division command button, your previously accrued expenses will be removed from the ledger.

[INDENT]One thing that you should consider, many times if you form a division with an activated leader, he will become inactivated, and will remain so for the remainder of the turn, even if you un-press the create division command button.[/INDENT]

Also3 note, you can re-build divisions freely as long as they are in the same region. EG you have 3 division lead by Granger, Logan and Schofield. Drop them into one stack and then click on them one at a time and press the un-combine unit button (or press <Cntl><d>). Now rearrange the units with their "new" division commanders be selecting a commander and then a unit and pressing the combine units button or pressing <Cntl><c>.

Repeat the above as often as you wish until your division are built the way you want them.

[INDENT]Tip: Because many leaders only have a 3 strategic rating, if you have a leader in mind for building a division, but none of the units have yet arrived at his location, by the time they start arriving he might have become inactivated, which will prevent you from building a division with him. To get around this, you can build a "provisional" division with him in advance with any unit(s) which may be included in a division, even just a lone militia regiment. Once the units which were planned for that division have started arriving, pop the provisional unit(s) out and put the actual units into the division as described above.[/INDENT]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Good tip, that last one, Capt Orso.

In addition to not being able to form divisions, inactive leaders can not order their troops to destroy depots. More on activation from the manual:

Each turn, each force’s commanding officer makes a test based on his strategic rating. If he fails (indicated by a brown envelope icon on the force), the leader is deemed inactivated and will suffer the following penalties:

Reduced movement (-35% speed)
Combat penalties in hostile regions (up to –35%).
Offensive posture prohibited (not applicable for admirals).

A leader, which is not activated, can represent delayed orders, over cautiousness, or even incompetence at the operational level or above.

Note: A very cautious army commander can even impact negatively the activation Check of subordinate corps commanders.

Technical Note: You may de-activate this rule in the Options Menu.

Leaderless troops are always activated, as they don’t have leaders, but suffer from movement and combat penalties (by lack of CPs). They are not prohibited from assuming offensive posture (the commanding, unknown colonel is willing to take action but is not the best man for the job).

Specifically: A Leader that is NOT Activated receives a 35% speed penalty to all movement but a combat penalty equal to enemy military control of region, to a maximum of 35%. (Not applicable to Forces in Passive Posture)
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:[INDENT]Tip: Because many leaders only have a 3 strategic rating, if you have a leader in mind for building a division, but none of the units have yet arrived at his location, by the time they start arriving he might have become inactivated, which will prevent you from building a division with him. To get around this, you can build a "provisional" division with him in advance with any unit(s) which may be included in a division, even just a lone militia regiment. Once the units which were planned for that division have started arriving, pop the provisional unit(s) out and put the actual units into the division as described above.[/INDENT]

You've caught me! That's what I do always. :cool:

[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm

picaron wrote:From October, 1861 :thumbsup:

Gracias, Picarón, se me olvidó poner lo más importante: La fecha a partir de la cual se pueden empezar a formar divisiones. :bonk: :thumbsup:

Thank you, Picaron, I forgot to indicate the most important thing: The date from which it's possible to form divisions.

You can start to form divisions from October '61.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm

gchristie wrote:Good tip, that last one, Capt Orso.

In addition to not being able to form divisions, inactive leaders can not order their troops to destroy depots. More on activation from the manual:

Each turn, each force’s commanding officer makes a test based on his strategic rating. If he fails (indicated by a brown envelope icon on the force), the leader is deemed inactivated and will suffer the following penalties:

Reduced movement (-35% speed)
Combat penalties in hostile regions (up to –35%).
Offensive posture prohibited (not applicable for admirals).

A leader, which is not activated, can represent delayed orders, over cautiousness, or even incompetence at the operational level or above.

Note: A very cautious army commander can even impact negatively the activation Check of subordinate corps commanders.

Leaderless troops are always activated, as they don’t have leaders, but suffer from movement and combat penalties (by lack of CPs). They are not prohibited from assuming offensive posture (the commanding, unknown colonel is willing to take action but is not the best man for the job).

Specifically: A Leader that is NOT Activated receives a 35% speed penalty to all movement but a combat penalty equal to enemy military control of region, to a maximum of 35%. (Not applicable to Forces in Passive Posture)

Great remarks, buddy! :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

gchristie wrote:Good tip, that last one, Capt Orso.

Does this affect the AI too, and if so, as a weak player am I better off with or without activation rule on?

Whilst I'm at it there are other settings that I find ambiguous from the viewpoint of crippling the AI. For example if I have fog of war off, that helps me see the AI units, but if it can see mine then I'm probably worse off not better off relatively (I presume there is no setting for FOW for AI only as in WW1).

Similarly the "Tele-porting" or redeployment of leaders - various settings, but the most disadvantageous to AI seems to be the third - three goes each, although I never use it on the basis you're where you are pal. None of this science fiction stuff.

I keep "Use all behaviours" off too although the tool tip says to check the box "best game experience".

Delayed commitment - which is worst for the AI?
Historical attrition?
Foreign entry?
Randomized generals? Does the AI have strategies so mixing up the stats will weaken it or strengthen it?
Give AI more time? No way you must be kidding. Perhaps I should use a slower computer if it's time based? An old 486 might slow the bastard down eh?
Aggressiveness - which is worse for AI - missing opportunities or being aggressive and imprudent?

The problem is most of you guys are so clever you want a stronger AI whereas I want a stupid, slow, nearly blind one.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Hi Taillebois,

Well, if what you want is to have a quiet AI and an easy game level, I recommend you to set the following game options:

* Activation rule: deactivated (unchecked)
* AI Ranking: private
* Naval boxes handling: 2nd check box (75%)
* Foreign Entry: disabled if you play USA side / Easy if you play CSA side
* Historical attrition: standard
* Use all behaviors: deactivated (unchecked)
* Activation bonus: easy (no bonus for AI)
* AI detect bonus: no bonus
* AI aggressiveness: low
* Give AI more time: deactivated (unchecked)
* Randomized generals: no

I think these are the most favorable game conditions.

Hope this help you. Enjoy playing! :thumbsup:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Excellent quality reply, thank you Ethan, will implement immediately.

PS
Isn't your location Gadir Cadiz? And have you played the Spanish campaign scenario in AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaigns?

Edited an hour or so and a couple of drinks later - Yay - a victory, occupied Washington and won 111 points to 5. Thanks again. Merry Christmas.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Taillebois wrote:Excellent quality reply, thank you Ethan, will implement immediately.

You're welcome, buddy. ;)

Isn't your location Gadir Cadiz? And have you played the Spanish campaign scenario in AGEOD's Napoleon's Campaigns?

Yes, I'm from Cádiz, Spain. :) The city which couldn't be taken by Napoleon. :turc:

But I don't own Napoleon's Campaigns, although it would be cool to play the Spanish campaign to defend my city again.

Regards! :wavey:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain_Orso

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 pm

All the settings that affect you affect the AI the same or possibly less. IIRC the AI has a slight advantage in Sighting with FOW turned on.

If you want to learn the game I would suggest setting all things to moderate settings. You will learn more from getting smacked heartily about the head and hindquarters than by beating up on a mentally challenged opponent.

If Athena does something which takes you completely by surprise, do not hesitate to have a look under her robes :wacko: Break out a previous turn[SUP]1)[/SUP] from your game and look at what her plan was. Look at what she can see and try to understand why she did what she did. Realize that what you did was a poor decision. Learn to recognize how you got into a weak position and try to avoid it in the future.

Think strategically; you don't have to win every battle, you have to win the important ones. Give up ground where you are weak; only put up as much resistance as is reasonable. There's no sense in letting units get destroyed for a lost cause. Pull back and regroup. Attack where the enemy is weak and hit them hard and fast.

Think about supply ALL THE TIMES. Guard your depots well, and think about Athena's. If you find one of her depots un- or weakly guarded, take it and destroy it. If she has only one depot behind her army to keep it in supply, then make an effort take it, destroy it and watch her pull back or waist away. Use your cavalry for scouting and breaking up rail lines. Athena not being able to reinforce a region quickly where you are attacking may make the difference between your winning or getting mauled. Good cavalry usage is important when playing with FOW.

Don't give up and don't be afraid to lose. The effort you put into mastering a bad situation will go a long was in learning to avoid them and putting her into the same situation.

If Athena is overwhelming you with troops then your economic strategy my be wrong. It's hard as hell trying to get out of that NM slump, when income is only trickling in and conscripts would rather sit in the taverns drinking rum and ale that reaping glory on the the battlefield. Concentrate your forces and fight the battles you can win. If you can capture a strategic location, which will raise your NM, try to coordinate it with raising money and conscripts, even if you might have to wait a couple of turns to raise them. In the long run you will have more of both than if you took the quick bargain basement.

If you are the US, put as many Transports in the Shipping Box as you can. If you are the CS put as many Brigs in the Blockade Boxes as you can.

Go for it! and have fun :thumbsup:

1) To break out a turn from a game:
  • Open your file manager.
    [INDENT]Window's file manager is the Windows Explorer, but a good third party file manager such as Total Commander will work just as well.[/INDENT]
  • Navigate to the American Civil War installation directory and open ..\ACW\Saves\.
  • Create a sub-directory below ..\ACW\Saves\ named "zzzz" without the quotes.
  • Copy all of the contents of one of the Backupxx directories of your game into your newly created sub-directory.
    [INDENT]Which you choose will depend on how far back in the game you wish to go.[/INDENT]
  • Close your file manager.
    [INDENT]It's important that your file manager does not have the "zzzz" directory, or any below it, opened.[/INDENT]
  • Start the game.
  • Open the Load Game menu and scroll to the very last game in the list. It will have the same name as the game from which you copied its files, but because the sub-directory is named "zzzz" it is at the bottom of the list, which is sorted alphabetically by the directory names.
  • Hover your mouse pointer over this game and press <Insert> to rename the game.
    [INDENT]Select a fitting name that you will remember and click the Check Box.
    Your broken-out game now has a new name including the sub-directory that you created.
    Even if you've been playing against Athena you will see her turn of that game and be able to select it for loading.
    This is because the game engine finds her move orders of that turn and doesn't know which side you are playing so you can pick either.[/INDENT]

Now you can load Athena's move of that game turn and explore it without disrupting your running game.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 am

Thanks also for that Orso. Unintended pun/rhyme there, just realised.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”