Jerzul
Captain

No battle at Manassas

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Ok, so I'm playing a PBEM and McDowell finally activated and I attacked Manassas because even McDowell is better than Little Mac.

I have two forces attacking one arriving on day 7 the other on day 11. I'm hoping with the long delay that battle would not occur until the larger force got there on day 11. Well battle didn't occur...at all. My opponent tells me that his force "Engaged the Union" on day 7 but there was no resolution and I did not have any messages on my end. So we figure maybe the battle is ongoing or something. Well, the next turn passes and still no battle. What's going on? I can post the save game if need be.

Thanks in advance!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

lodilefty

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Rule: an Army group cannot initiate an attack if ANY other friendly group is in the region.

If your "other" stack is there, it must start the battle

Somebody has to be in offense or assault posture, other than the army stack.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Jerzul
Captain

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm

lodilefty wrote:Rule: an Army group cannot initiate an attack if ANY other friendly group is in the region.

If your "other" stack is there, it must start the battle

Somebody has to be in offense or assault posture, other than the army stack.

Good to know.

Do you happen to know why that rule was implemented?
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

lodilefty

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm not sure, but many patches ago...

...possibly even since original release!!!!!

It is the rule in all AGE games except BOA, WIA and soon-to-be-released AJE as they do not use the Command Structure rules....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

caranorn

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:13 am

That rule is there to represent Armies as reserve forces. That is Corps to engage in combat and Armies to support (and draw in additional forces via ""march to the sound of the guns) their subordinate corps once engaged ...
Marc aka Caran...

Captain_Orso

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:23 pm

You should understand all the corp plus the stack with the army commander as "The Army". The stack with the army commander is the "Army Command" plus reserves.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”