Ace

Sharpshooter speed

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 am

I noticed, at least it seems to me that the game doesn't calculate sharpshooter speed correctly.
I am posting two images to prove it, one with lone sharpshooter moving and one with militia moving.
Sharpshooter is unusually slow.
The save game can be posted as requested.

Captain_Orso

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 am

I would have to see exactly which units those were to get their models and their status to see cohesion etc. Probably the simplest would be if you posted the game-save without the replay files.

Ace

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:56 am

Here it is. Just a minute.[ATTACH]19701[/ATTACH]

By the way, how do you post pictures which van be seen in post (AAR style)?

Captain_Orso

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Sorry, but I can't do much with password protected files :blink: You'll have to send me a PM with your password.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Ace wrote:By the way, how do you post pictures which van be seen in post (AAR style)?

Hi Ace,

Take a look here.

Greetings! :wavey:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:06 pm

Remember to look at both the SS and Militia for "at home" bonus and/or "away from home" malus.

Being outside the home area gives a movement penalty, among others...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Ace

Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:25 pm

lodilefty wrote:Remember to look at both the SS and Militia for "at home" bonus and/or "away from home" malus.

Being outside the home area gives a movement penalty, among others...

So sharpshooters get out of state penalty? I thought only militia have that?

What other units get that penalty?

Captain_Orso

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:17 pm

From what I've seen while researching for this thread Question about sharpshooters at least some Sharpshooters start out with a kind of militia status. The only way that I've been able to see if an SS-Unit has this trait is by looking at its Discipline attribute. If it has discipline 7, it is militia-SS. If it has discipline 10 it is 'first-line-SS'.

Lodi, what I don't understand are 2 things. I saw SS outside of their state that had Discipline 10, which would indicate to me that they had upgraded from militia to 1st-Line, but I have no idea how they could do this. I've not been able to find any event that would upgrade them like with real-militia and cavalry. How does this happen?

Looking through the Unit Detail of the above SS-unit, every attribute is identical to what is in the model file except the Discipline is 7 on the Unit Detail instead of the 10 from the model file. Since Movement Type and Speed Coefficient are the same on both the Unit Detail and the model, they should both move the same whether the unit is milita-SS or 1st-Line-SS. The militia-unit from above also has Movement Type = MedFoot (Medium Foot) but Speed Coefficient 100 instead of the SS' 110. Shouldn't that make the SS actually quicker than militia?

The only logical thing that I can think of the might make militia unit arrive quicker in its destination would be that it was already moving to that region from the previous turn. Could that be the case Ace?

Ace

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 am

No, that is not the case. They were both in same stack, sitting in Springfield. In fact, this is not the first time I saw this, I just didnt mentioned it in the forum.

I experimented a little more. The militia faster than sharpshooter was Missouri militia in its home state (it takes her 6 days to enter a region as with most other line infantry, I checked). Another militia in the same stack was Arkansas militia. It takes her 10 days to enter a region (longer than sharpshooter - it takes them 9 days).

This brings us to conclusion, there really is out of state penalty for sharpshooters.
As always, one answer gives us two questions.

1) Why is out of state penalty given to sharpshooters. I thought they were elite units attached to main armies, not just militias attached to home states.

2) If movement penalty is so large, why would anyone create a division with sharpshooter, if it slows division so much (35 %).

Captain_Orso

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Ace, I can only confirm that Sharpshooters can have a kind of militia status. If they are outside of their State of Origin and their Discipline goes to 7 from the 10 that they have in their model. None of the other attributes listed in their Unit Detail change. I've also discovered that they lose this militia status if they are integrated into a division.

Reynold's Corp is in Branchville SC. In this corp is Reno's Division containing Gallagher's Bde. from Pennsylvania, which consists of 2 infantry regiments and a sharpshooter regiment. Opening the Unit Detail of the sharpshooter regiment shows that it's Discipline is 10.

But if you completely remove the brigade from the division and the division stack its Discipline suddenly drops to 7.

If you put an independent sharpshooter into a division, on the next turn you will note that its Discipline has risen from 7 to 10. So this works a little like the mechanics of putting a leader in command of a division or attaching a corp to an army. The full benefits are only available on the next turn.

Where this difference in Discipline plays a role in movement I have no idea, I haven't been able to find a reference to it.

Something else I noticed is that the Pennsylvania brigades have a mistake in the unit. When being built they get 2 inf. element and 1 sharpshooter element

Code: Select all

212USA_Infantry Bde (PA).uni
ModelType0 = $mdl_USA_Inf2|2
ModelType1 = $mdl_USA_Shp2|1

But if you look at the Family Types they only have 1 inf. element, which means that you cannot combine these units with a general, unless they lose an element first. See also the illustration directly above.

Code: Select all

212USA_Infantry Bde (PA).uni
FamilyType0 = $famLeader|1
FamilyType1 = $famLine|1
FamilyType2 = $famSkirmisher|1

Ace

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Captain_Orso, thanks. You have been very helpfull. This game is so beautifull. When you think you know it from head to toes, it surprises you.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”