Ace

Ammo consuption in minor battles

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:09 pm

In my recent game, my opponent (US) attacked Mannasass in June 61 in 4 seperate columns, resulting in 4 separate battles. Next turn, I advanced with the main CSA army on Alexandria , where I had 5 separate battles with brigade sized reinforcements pouring in one by one.
This has created an unusual situations where whole ammo was spent on minor battles.

This brings up an potential exploit issue. One could organise 10 separate militas to attack well fortified place on 10 different days, in a hope defender will spend all their ammo, and plan a main invasion force on the last day of the turn. Personally, I would never do that.

My question is does a whole army needs to spend its ammo if it is attacked by a single regiment?

What are your opinions on the subject?

Pocus

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 am

I don't have an opinion, just a fact ;)

Seriously, an element only spend ammo when he fires... so no exploit there.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:14 am

Although from what I can tell a large force battling a far smaller force still does use a disproportionately large amount of ammo, it's not nearly as much as it would were they to battle a large(r) force.

Other factors that speak against this tactic:
  • Your suicide units will not necessarily even attack at such odds; sometimes yes, sometimes no. Often they will simply refuse and retreat on encountering a far superior force
  • If they do actually engage in a battle they will more than likely be destroyed. That's pretty expensive even at the cost of militia to slough off some ammo
  • Each of these minor battles, which the enemy will win without any doubt, will give the commander and his units experience. Basically, you will just be training them :neener: , which is bad for you anyway you look at it

I think your efforts are going in the wrong direction. If you are trying to root a force out it's entrenchments, first get on their supply lines (cavalry and smaller forces). This alone will make Athena and any player nervous. If they are not receiving supplies, you could make a probing attack or two to get them to use up their remaining supplies (you better be sure that your supply situation is better than his).

But in general, if you have that much freedom of movement in his rear area, depending on the situation, just bypass him and force him to come out of his entrenchments and attack you.

Ace

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 pm

Thanks guys for your answers. Captain Orso, your analysis was deep and could have not been better. :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”