Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Null Unit

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Got a "null" unit. See pic.
The attachment NullUnit.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
NullUnit.jpg
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial"]Places I've lived: 180, 314, 409, 418, 859, 1051.[/font][/size]

lodilefty

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Chaplain Lovejoy wrote:Got a "null" unit. See pic. [ATTACH=CONFIG]18042[/ATTACH]

fixed for next update!

Thanks!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:40 pm

I see a pic of a brigade with two Inf regm'ts and a cav troop, that has a PWR of 44/51.

What is a 'null' unit and why is this one?
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

soloswolf
General of the Army

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:29 pm

GraniteStater wrote:I see a pic of a brigade with two Inf regm'ts and a cav troop, that has a PWR of 44/51.

What is a 'null' unit and why is this one?

The name of the Bde. above the element window is 'NULL.' It likely read the wrong column when naming, or the null was improperly added to the list of unit names.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks, Sir Knight.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

lodilefty

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 pm

soloswolf wrote:The name of the Bde. above the element window is 'NULL.' It likely read the wrong column when naming, or the null was improperly added to the list of unit names.

Actually, it appears that the engine handles this slightly different way now: Unit Shortnames were all "NULL" since the beginning, and the engine apparently did something differently in the past....

So, now defined them in Units, and added to LocalStrings...

The price of an old game with newest engine.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 am

Isn't that text suppose to be the brigade commander's name?

lodilefty

Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am

I'm gonna guess that the unit was a 'purchased' one, which uses a different text than the 'designed-in' units placed in setups or events...

What surprises me is that this is a new thing...

..but that's life with PON, RUS, AJE upgrade spin-offs :)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

khbynum
Major

Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Does being a null unit have any effect on play? Are they still useable?

Jim-NC

Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forums khbynum. May you enjoy your stay here, the locals are very helpful.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lodilefty

Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

They are fully playable. It's only a 'flavor' thing that is missing.....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Sat May 05, 2012 1:06 pm

It's definitely a purchased unit of the type uni_USA_Bde3KY. None of those are generated from events as far as I can see.

The unit type has 8 different 'CustomNames = Lauman's Bde.|Rousseau's Bde.|W. S. Smith's Bde.|Boyle's Bde.|Van Cleve's Bde.|Price's Bde.|Harlan's Bde.|Whittaker's Bde.|' and 8 different 'Flavor Commander = Jacob G. Lauman|Lovell H. Rousseau|W. S. Smith|Jeremiah T. Boyle|Horatio P. Van Cleve|Samuel W. Price|John M. Harlan|Walter C. Whittaker|'.

It seems that the engine isn't taking the 'Flavor Commander' name from the unit type file.

With units generated through events, the 'CustomNames' and 'Flavor Commander' are defined in the script command generating the unit.

In a game that I started at 1.16 and then updated to 1.16 RC2, all of the purchased units have the 'CustomNames' used instead of the 'Flavor Commander'. It seems that the 'Flavor Commander names are not being applied.

lodilefty

Sat May 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:It's definitely a purchased unit of the type uni_USA_Bde3KY. None of those are generated from events as far as I can see.

The unit type has 8 different 'CustomNames = Lauman's Bde.|Rousseau's Bde.|W. S. Smith's Bde.|Boyle's Bde.|Van Cleve's Bde.|Price's Bde.|Harlan's Bde.|Whittaker's Bde.|' and 8 different 'Flavor Commander = Jacob G. Lauman|Lovell H. Rousseau|W. S. Smith|Jeremiah T. Boyle|Horatio P. Van Cleve|Samuel W. Price|John M. Harlan|Walter C. Whittaker|'.

It seems that the engine isn't taking the 'Flavor Commander' name from the unit type file.

With units generated through events, the 'CustomNames' and 'Flavor Commander' are defined in the script command generating the unit.

In a game that I started at 1.16 and then updated to 1.16 RC2, all of the purchased units have the 'CustomNames' used instead of the 'Flavor Commander'. It seems that the 'Flavor Commander names are not being applied.

Good catch! We'll put it on the list, but it will not be fixed for quite a while...
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”