Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Movement Issue

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm trying to move to Laredo, but the numbers don't match up. The attached picture shows the issue. Note that the region says it will cost 4 days to enter the region. But the actual days required is 15 (17-2 already moved). I can't figure out why this doesn't match up. There are no leaders involved, and weather is fair everywhere on this map.

Any ideas?

Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Could be off here, but my interpretation is- 17 day total time.

This breaks down into 2 days to the jump off point, 4 days for just the Laredo region, and 11 days "off map" transit time.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:48 pm

military control USA 100 % ???

or perhaps it's considered as a offmap box ? it happens to me with a texas ranger or militia from the two regions (Temple or Cisco) travel exceed 15 days !
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 pm

willgamer wrote:Could be off here, but my interpretation is- 17 day total time.

This breaks down into 2 days to the jump off point, 4 days for just the Laredo region, and 11 days "off map" transit time.

Makes sense, but then why doesn't the region simply say 15 days? Why hide any off map stuff? I must have seen this before but if so this is the first time it seems wrong to me.
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:20 am

Now I'm just speculating as a former programmer....

I would want each region's data to mean the same thing, whether or not it is (currently) contigious to the main map or not.

Hence the label: "Number of days to enter this region (only)".

lodilefty

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Longshanks wrote:Makes sense, but then why doesn't the region simply say 15 days? Why hide any off map stuff? I must have seen this before but if so this is the first time it seems wrong to me.

That's how the game engine works [limitation]: it tells you about the in-region movement [4 days], but since the mouse is hovering over the region, it really doesn't know the path you are taking, so it doesn't include the "link" transit time. The total projected time includes the link.

You'll often see same effect at some river crossings. It's just more noticeable here because of the longer link time.

hehe, check out the 'West Coast' move times in Mud weather!!!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks, LL. I had noticed the lengthy times from Arizona to California before, but as it was box to box I didn't give it a thought. For some reason, this particular example (Laredo) just caught my eye. Thanks for the explanation!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”