asdicus
Sergeant

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Following up from the previous post the next turn late sep 62 the extra 999 money has disappeared. Strange but at least things are back to normal now.

jack54
Brigadier General

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks to everyone that worked on this patch....I've been away from this great game for a while (playing RUS mostly). You've got me playing again...I forgot how good this game is; I just completed a move from New York to East Tennessee...so a new perpective. .....Thanks again!
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jrwsdev
Conscript

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I recently decided to give this game another try as I found a PBEM opponent. I was happy to see a patch had recenlty been released. I like that the armies get an icon as a sidebar on the right, but my question is about the mexican and british armies showing up for the USA and CSA. I know that if certain events get triggered the USA and CSA player gets those forces to use, but should they display in April 1861? It's obvious that locked armies are displayed from the first ones I get for the CSA side, but shouldn't there be another filter be in place to prevent those other factions you may never get from showing up until released?

Thanks

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:17 pm

We had a discussion about that recently, and while many would prefer not to have the Brits et.al. before they are commited, it's something one has to live with due to limited time and energy to keep tinkering with the program. Even reduced down, they sometimes mask the top end of a list of elements--is the main irk I have with it.
Small price to be paid tho' to have the refinement process and occasional patches happening. :thumbsup:
Mosby: "General, you ever heard of Mosby?"
Gen. Stoughton: "Yes have you caught him!?"
Mosby: "He has caught you."

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:16 pm

At the moment the choices seem to be put up with unused leader flags appearing on the side of your viewing area, or disable the flags entirely.

I really can't stand seeing Mexican and British general flags cluttering up my field of vision when they aren't involved in the war, and that's why I chose to disable the flags entirely. If you want to go that route there are threads that discuss how to do it in both the AACW and WIA sections of this forum.

I actually rather like the idea of seeing the shortcut flags on the side of my screen, but I'd want to be able to specify on a turn by turn basis which leaders show up there. Without an editing function I prefer to skip the flags altogether. It's too bad, but the flags are less important than some of the other things that need to be addressed, so I can live without them.

Killjoy12
Private

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:32 am

Are the scenarios in Scenarios 1.15 Oct_20_10.zip compatible with 1.16?

jrwsdev
Conscript

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks for the tip. I found the forum discussion and disabled the army shortcuts.

Stauffenberg
General

Confederate Naval dynamics skewed

Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 pm

It's May 1863 and I have Semmes & Co. just arrived in the Atlantic Shipping Box. While I send individual raiders to that box separately, I group them with Semmes to take advantage of his sea raider attributes. He left his seek and destroy to refuel and arm because he was depleted during the winter--which was to be expected. In the full flush of spring, resupplied @ 100%, he is sent back out... His fleet left Charleston 2 turns ago with a transport for supplies. Skewed Effects:

1) 3 turns after leaving a major port fully supplied, WITH a transport supply ship. all ships are at very low cohesion (24/63 typically). They have not engaged in any combat with US warships, just raiding their transports.

2) In previous versions Semmes would bag so much money as well as WS (usually).
In 1.16 it is money only, never any WS. Is this WAD? I doubt it. It's a killer for the South in this game because much was invested in Semme's efforts. Money is fine, but it's WS he is after.

Captain_Orso

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey Stauffenberg my friend :wavey: ,

It been noted is several threads that the cost of moving fleets has gone up in patch level 1.16. This mostly takes place in poor weather, but not only. The larger the fleet, the greater the chance of some elements in that fleet taking hits through Wear-N-Tear™ while moving plus losing cohesion. The longer the fleet is moving outside the Boxes it will be losing cohesion. So if your fleet is plotted to sail through stormy weather it takes the Double-Whammy™ of taking hits through Wear-N-Tear™ plus being in motion for longer because of the weather and the cohesion loss through hits. It's a downward spiral. Early winter and spring are the stormy seasons: they can reek havoc on your fleets.

A tip, when you Drag-N-Drop™ your fleet from harbor to one of the Boxes, if it takes more than between 19 and 24 days, it is plotted to sail through bad weather. It would be advisable to wait a turn or 2 until the weather has settled. You can check the weather along your plotted path like this every turn at no cost. If the weather is bad, just cancel the plot.

The game will BTW if possible calculate the quickest route to the target location regardless of length. I've had fleets returning from the Atlantic Blockade Box plot over the Saint Lawrence to New England and then down the coast to New York City to avoid heavy storms in the Atlantic.

Stauffenberg
General

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:23 pm

OK I accept the word of Muad'ib, this is WAD and I am glad to hear it, even though it is to my detriment. :cursing:

An adjustment in fleet formations and orders has been put into effect.

I'll post some issues relating to the new extra large CSS submersible blockade runners at a later date. :cool:

But for now, a big mystery question that remains:
Do transports still operate as supply ships in that naval zone. If so, do they have to be stacked with benefiting ships? Is it worth sending them at all?
I probably missed notes or posts on that, do bear with me.

Gatling
Corporal

Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Some questions about unit details panel changes in patch 1.16.
First I must say I skipped all the release candidates and jumped from 1.15 directly to 1.16 ie the changes could have been introduced for a while!

At the bottom of unit details panel cost per element are given now and I can't figure exactely what information they are all given:

For generals :
- you get a cost in VP and moral. When do these cost apply? Are they the cost applicable when you promoted a less ranked general?
For units :
- you also get VP cost. Is this the lost of VP if this unit is destroyed?
- Since now I have always seen moral cost = 0 for unit. Can this cost be greater than 0? If yes when do you pay this cost?
- Is this WAD that only the "money" cost is given for units and that "conscript" and "war supply" are are omitted?

I also notice sometimes new figures after money, CS and WS in the planned balance in the ledger (recruitment or economy pages). According to the name they are related to rail road and ship but are not same as the transport capacities given at the top of the display. What are these figures standing for?

Thanks in advance for your advices!
Cheers
Gatling

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:07 am

Gatling wrote:Some questions about unit details panel changes in patch 1.16.
First I must say I skipped all the release candidates and jumped from 1.15 directly to 1.16 ie the changes could have been introduced for a while!

At the bottom of unit details panel cost per element are given now and I can't figure exactely what information they are all given:

For generals :
- you get a cost in VP and moral. When do these cost apply? Are they the cost applicable when you promoted a less ranked general?
For units :
- you also get VP cost. Is this the lost of VP if this unit is destroyed?
- Since now I have always seen moral cost = 0 for unit. Can this cost be greater than 0? If yes when do you pay this cost?
- Is this WAD that only the "money" cost is given for units and that "conscript" and "war supply" are are omitted?

I also notice sometimes new figures after money, CS and WS in the planned balance in the ledger (recruitment or economy pages). According to the name they are related to rail road and ship but are not same as the transport capacities given at the top of the display. What are these figures standing for?

Cheers
Gatling

Welcome to our Forums, Gatling! :)

You're correct! VP cost is the loss, if the unit is destroyed.
CS and WS are "Conscripts" and "War Supplies".
Aphrodite Mae

Captain_Orso

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:31 am

Gatling wrote:8<

I think the 'Morale' may be a value that is only used in other games that use the same engine and may have nothing to do with the NM (National Morale) in AACW.

Gatling wrote:- Is this WAD that only the "money" cost is given for units and that "conscript" and "war supply" are are omitted?

Since you cannot built single elements the question is basically moot. To see what a 'unit' costs look in the Reinforcements Ledger. That's actually the only thing that matters.

Gatling wrote:I also notice sometimes new figures after money, CS and WS in the planned balance in the ledger (recruitment or economy pages). According to the name they are related to rail road and ship but are not same as the transport capacities given at the top of the display. What are these figures standing for?

Cheers
Gatling

The resources you see on the 'black board' at the top of your screen are the amounts of each at the beginning of the turn. The Transportation Assets & Capacity board to the left will change when you plot units to use rail and river movement. The wide chalk board will remain the same. To see what the approximate results of your turns planning, you have to look at the specific ledger. For Money, Conscripts and WS it is simplest to look at the Reinforcements or Replacements ledgers. They both hold the same values blow the pigeonholes.

What is not noted here are:

Ships repairs - they cost the same as that portion of the ship costs to build. So if a steam frigate with 20 hit points takes 10 HP damage and it costs $21 and 15WS to build, those 10 HP will cost $10.5 and 7.5WS to repair that damage. The halves are rounded up or down randomly. HP cost no conscripts to repair.

Rail repairs - IIRC cost $10/10WS per region.

Creating a Division Commander - Costs some Money, WS and 1 conscript company. How much Money and WS I don't remember exactly, about 10 each I think. If you have plotted building units etc so that there is no reserve left in the same turn that you build a division, then the division's commander will have all of his ratings lowered by 2 each until the cost is paid.

Repairing ships is done last and if you run out if Money and WS, only as much as you have Money and WS for will be repaired.

So if you are trying to repair rails, create a division or repair ships you will have to leave enough of your resources to cover those expenses.

Gatling
Corporal

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:45 am

Hi Captain Orso,

Thanks for your thorough answer.

Since you cannot built single elements the question is basically moot. To see what a 'unit' costs look in the Reinforcements Ledger. That's actually the only thing that matters.

In the unit detail panel the informations (combat value, abilities, ...) are given for each single element of the unit. Thus I would except that the new feature give the cost in money, conscript points and war supply for the replacement of this kind of single element ie the same informations that you find in Replacement Ledger and I was wondering why only money cost is given. Like it is now, I don't see any advantage to have this partial information in unit detail panel. This is why I thought, I perhaps don't understand what this money cost here stand for.

The resources you see on the 'black board' at the top of your screen are the amounts of each at the beginning of the turn. The Transportation Assets & Capacity board to the left will change when you plot units to use rail and river movement. The wide chalk board will remain the same. To see what the approximate results of your turns planning, you have to look at the specific ledger. For Money, Conscripts and WS it is simplest to look at the Reinforcements or Replacements ledgers.

OK, I know that. I see that my question was not clear. During a turn planning I had for the planned balance in the Reinforcement and Replacement ledger two other figures in addition to Money Conscript and WS. The french name of these figures could perhaps be translated with "Rail depot" and "Shipyard" in english. After the turn resolution the two figures disappeared. As the value differed from the 'black board' value of transport capacities I could not understand what these figures represent in the game.
OK! Not sure that It's now clear what I'm looking for! I think I'd better do a screen shot the next time I see these figures and post the question again. My english is too bad to make it clear what I mean; image will surely helps!

Ships repairs - they cost the same as that portion of the ship costs to build. So if a steam frigate with 20 hit points takes 10 HP damage and it costs $21 and 15WS to build, those 10 HP will cost $10.5 and 7.5WS to repair that damage. The halves are rounded up or down randomly. HP cost no conscripts to repair.

Thanks for that. I didn't know how the cost for ship repairs were calculated

Cheers
Gatling

Jim-NC

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Those might be how much rail and riverine transport you are using for the turn. Without a picture, it is hard to tell.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”