Another Update

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Charlesonmission (CSA) v Durk (USA)
awaiting E Jun 62 orders
138 NM v 61 NM
54 VP/turn v 31 VP/turn (from cities)
1387 v 743 total VPs
60,266 v 103,022 combat losses
I just took over this game while the original host (DeGuerra) is out of town for a month. So, I'm presenting the state of affairs as I begin hosting.
Charles has taken a commanding presence on most fronts, as the scores show. He owns most of Kentucky, with Louisville a "shared" region (Sidney Johnston v Keyes). Grant is nearby in Montgomery Tennessee, but with weak units and subject to substantial nearby forces. Parke blocks the rails for the Yanks from B. Green to Louisville with three divisions, but the initiative is with the Rebs in the border state.

The Missouri situation is even grimmer for the Union. The rebs own ALL of Missouri south of the big river, even St. Louis, although the forces might be evenly matched otherwise. Sibley has even taken the Rockies, and Arizona flies the Stars and Bars. These are big gains, worth WS, GS, conscripts, new units and VPs.

As far as sea invasions go, there's a weak Union position at St. Augustine, Florida, but its future is dim with Bragg bearing down on it.

However, the CSA's position in Virginia (where, let's face it, things REALLY count) is far from certain. There the Yanks hold Winchester/Harper's Ferry and Alexandria, facing Rebs in Strasburg and Manassas. The Yanks also hold the peninsula, Ft. Monroe AND Norfolk. But hold it ... there are also a bunch of Yanks in and around Richmond - four or more divisions under Kearny and others, although Richmond is still barely in Rebel hands. Lee's army is close, but it's only one division although others are close enough to rail in. It avails little to gain the West only to lose Richmond!

So, while the CSA seems to be dominant, it's way too soon to call the game. We're entering the phase where the Yanks get better generals and more troops, so anything can happen.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Affairs in our game haven't heated up much. I lost Manassas early on and abandoned the valley, on the other hand repelled Grant at Island 10. Fronts have not moved much since in eíther theatre. Only in the last turns my opponent is moving. Coming with more troops onto Island 10 under Pope and Grant nearby and most noteably heading with two great corps up the Peninsula from Ft Monroe towards, Richmond. It is there where we fought our first great battle and Jackson got repelled by the Yankee conquerors. My worthy opponent brought Thomas from the West and prepared well his trenches in quite a hurry, arming them with Gatlings. Ouch! He is now tightening his iron grip around the Confederate capital.
It is long since I last saw such a determined yet cold blooded bluecoat commander.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:06 am

Thanks for the update CitizenX. What turn are you on? If you're in 1863 what is your current VP total for each side?

Durk

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 am

Altaris (USA) v Newman5 (CSA)

It is early December, turn 17
NM (USA) 98 (CSA) 101
VP From cities USA 46 CSA 38
VP totals USA 699 CSA 732
Combat losses USA 9,809 CSA 14,387

Altaris has a commanding lead in most theaters, while Newman5 is sustaining his Morale and Victory Point position.

Richmond has opposing forces in three surrounding areas.

The Union is besieging Norfolk and Baton Rouge.

Mobile, Escambra and New Orleans are Union occupied.

The Union forces hold Fts Henry and Donelson and are poised on the north side of the Cumberland.; while holding Gibson, Tenn and Feyetteville, Ak.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

We Have Our First Winner!

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Congrats to Charlesonmission (CSA), who won by lowering Durk's (USA) NM to 40 as of the beginning of the E Sept 62 turn in their current game!

This is a game that I picked up from the host DeGuerra, who left for a scheduled vacation just a few days ago. So, thanks to DeGuerra for doing all the work, and leaving me the exciting ending to host!

Here is a summary of the last few turns:

Results of E Jun 62 turn:
June 1, 1862 - The Day of Battles!
June 1, 1862 - S Johnston Defeats Union Forces, But Cannot Take Louisville! Over 5,800 Casualties!
June 1, 1862 - J Johnston Rescues McCulloch's Corps; Grant Falls Back; Heavy Rebel Losses!
June 1, 1862 - Lee Pushes Kearny, Dix South to Relieve Richmond! Over 3,100 Lost! President Davis Praises Lee's Defense of the Capitol
Rebel Forts Bombard Union Fleets on the Cumberland!
June 6, 1862 The Second Day of Battles!
June 6, 1862 Bragg Recaptures St. Augustine Without a Fight!
June 6, 1862 Jackson Repels Yanks at Winchester! Stonewall's Army Takes Heavy Losses and Falls Back! 9,000 Casualties!
June 6, 1862 Whipple, Hamilton Assault Fredericksburg! Union Repelled with Heavy Losses!
3 NM changed hands in battles this turn.

Results of L Jun 62 turn:
Bloody June Continues! Thousands Killed and Wounded Across Virginia and Kentucky!
7 NM Exchanged!
June 16, 1862 Johnston Takes Louisville by Coup! Remaining Garrison Defeated!
June 17, 1862 Grant Defeats Polk in Tennessee! Inflicts Twice as Many Casualties! Lincoln Declares "Find Out What He's Drinking and Send a Barrel to All My Other Generals!"
June 20, 1862 Lee Repulsed in Tappahannock! "Bloody Lee" Loses More Men But Eliminates 11 Union Regiments! Artillery Key in Victory! Davis Praises Lee and Alexander!
June 22, 1862 Crittenden's Division Abandons St. Joseph, MO! Bloomington Only Missouri City Still in Union Hands!
June 24, 1862 Porter's Entire Force Taken Prisoner at Lexington Missouri! No Confederate Losses! Porter Escapes!
June 24, 1862 Jackson, Holmes Rout Yanks at Winchester! 2,700 Prisoners! Heavy Union Losses! Davis Praises Jackson, Hill for their Actions!
June 28, 1862! Lyons Hits Rebs on Mississippi But is Defeated! Triple Losses!
June 30, 1862 Johnston Holds Louisville Against Rosecrans! 3,500 Casualities!

Results of E Jul 62 turn:
Third Turn the Bloodiest! The Carnage Continues! 20,000+ Lost
Too Many Battles to Report Them All! 10 NM Changes Hands!!! Union Nears Collapse! Foreign Intervention Close!
Multiple Fights in Illinois! Cairo Remains in Union Hands! Lyons Takes Heavy Losses!
Polk Holds Ft. Henry! Grant, Pope Take Heavy Losses!
Rosecrans Stands Toe to Toe with S Johnston Who Holds Louisville!
Longstreet, Ewell and A Hill Hold Richmond! Heavy Union Losses! Davis: "Heroes of the Confederacy, All!"
Van Dorn in Iowa!

Results of L Jul 62 Turn:
losses continued, but I didn't keep notes on this turn

Results of E Aug 62 turn:
Carnage Continues But Union Holds On!
Grant Takes Bowling Green Kentucky!
Battles Rage over Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Florida and Virginia!
Union Loses Cincinnati!
Yanks Lose 31 Regiments Captured or Destroyed!
Foreign Intervention Inches Closer! (at 93)

Results of L Aug 62 (final turn):
[SIZE="5"]SPECIAL EDITION!
Charleston Mirror[/size]

[SIZE="6"]WAR OVER![/size]

Aug 25, 1862
A series of Confederate victories, led by Whiting's defense of Wilmington on August 21, over Rickett's invasion force which was defeated and capture en masse, a loss of 8,700 men, 3,500 horses and 70 cannons (and 7 NM) has led to an end of hostilities.

Yesterday, Generals Lee and McDowell met at Sully Plantation, near Fairfax, VA, a home of a cousin of Lee's, where a truce is signed to take place on all fronts effective today, to be followed by terms for an armistice and withdrawal elsewhere. Union troops are to begin leaving their positions on September 1 to return northwards.

Lincoln concedes the war is lost, and prepares to resign, faced by impeachment proceedings in the House, and the resignation of much of his cabinet.

Richmond celebrates in the streets and in the churches. Northern cities mostly quiet, as mothers and widows mourn their dead.

Kentucky, Missouri will be in CSA! Fate of Kansas, Maryland, Uncertain! Western Virginia to be Repatriated into the Commonwealth!

Jefferson Davis summarized the feelings of all Southerners when he said from Richmond's White House: "Our Second War of Independence is Over. The Confederate States of America is now a nation. God Save Us All!"

Image[/IMG]

Altaris

Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Wow... congrats to Charles!

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:57 pm

They have 9 times as many casualties as we have through E Nov. I think that might be the bloodiest match in the tournament. At least on a per turn basis. Congrats to Charles.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Congratulations to both of you! A contest between two great sportsmen! :)

War against Durk is never boring (and usually very bloody). :D

charlesonmission

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks to everyone for the comments and Durk for the game. On my side, it was a really interesting game as Durk had at one point 5 fronts in Virginia. Also, we fought many field battles without the big entrenchments like happened in the actual ACW. This of course led to the increased casualties. Also worth noting, the much talked about "disembark" option can be dangerous if it is used going into a location that is in FoW. Just before the attack, a brigade had just finished in Wilmington which along with the local units and an extra battery was enough to stop a division from establishing a strong beachhead. In my test against the AI, I lost 2 divisions on a similar attack on Ft. Monroe.

Best wishes to all!

Charles

OneArmedMexican wrote:Congratulations to both of you! A contest between two great sportsmen! :)

War against Durk is never boring (and usually very bloody). :D

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Big Update for Rudolf v Blindsniper

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:57 pm

This has turned into an interesting, competitive game. Here is the latest update, from about four game-months of play during the Spring and Summer of 1862. -Longshanks

UPDATES
Rudolf (USA) v Blindsniper (CSA)
awaiting E Aug 62 orders
76 NM v 115 NM (+7/+4 since last report)
36 VP/turn v 50 VP/turn (from cities) (37 v 49 last report)
1054 v 1295 total VPs (714 v 931 last report)
86,253 v 84,051 combat losses (32,078 v 26,763 last report)
POW: 9300 USA prisoners, 9800 CSA prisoners

E Apr 62 Results
Union Defeated at Alexandria! ( ... twice)
Union Turns Back Reb Assault on Bowling Green!
Big change in NM (unfortunately I didn't record this!)

L Apr 62 Results
Price Takes Jefferson City Without a Fight!

E May 62 Results
Rebs Take Back Ft. Pulaski!
Union Invades Williamsburg! Capture an Army HQ! (worth 2 NM! wow!) Lincoln Praises Hooker!
[Note: this establishes a key position, as Lee's army is besieging Ft. Monroe. Hooker's position plays across the next several turns, as the two players spar for dominance on the peninsula.]

L May 62 Results
May 17, 1862 Lee Pounds Butler But Ft. Monroe Holds! 6,600 lost! +2 CSA NM!
May 19, 1862 Lyons Booted from Lake, Tennessee! Fort at Island#10 Holds But Is Besieged! 3,800 Lost! +1 USA NM! [note: one these odd battles which you lose, but gain NM]

E Jun 62 Results
June 4, 1862 - Grant Defeats Polk at Clarksville Tennessee! +1NM for USA! Combined Losses over 5,000! Thomas' Action Cited by Lincoln!
June 6, 1862 - J Johnston Retakes Island #10! Lyons Moved Into Arkansas! Hoke's Actions Cited!
June 10, 1862 - Battle of Williamsburg is Union Victory! Longstreet's Attack Fails with CSA Losses Over 7,000! +3 USA NM!
[Note: On this turn, the USA begins picking up NM steam. Several key generals have rec'd promotions. Blindsniper (CSA) still has the edge, but it's starting to fray ....]

L Jun 62 Results
June - Epic Battles Continue!
Stonewall Jackson Holds F'burg Against Kearny with Heavy Losses on Both Sides! +1 CSA NM Over 12,000 Casualties Total!
Hooker Stops "Bloody Lee" Cold at Five Forks [Williamsburg]! Lee Loses over 6,800! +3 USA NM!
Grant Defeats Forrest at Fort Donelson! Four CSA Regiments Taken Prisoners! +2 USA NM Lincoln: " I Can't Spare Him! He Fights!"
Polk Takes St. Joseph Missouri! Union Garrison Wiped Out! +1 CSA NM
[Note: an oddity here ... Kearny loses and gets a commendation and Hooker wins (big!) and gets chastised! Grant gets his third star! My newspaper "headlines" often call RELee "Bloody Lee" because it is my observation that his battles nearly always cost the CSA more losses than if led by, say, Longstreet or especially Jackson. Your results may vary.]

E July 62 Results
July 4, 1862 - Grant Holds in Tennessee! Forney's Force Repelled! Over 4,600 Casualties Combined! +2 USA NM
July 5, 1862 - Shields Defeats Lee on Peninsula! Lee Loses Four Regiments as 1,000 Prisoners Taken! Are the Rebels Trapped?
July 8, 1862 - Longstreet Surprises, then Defeats Hooker at Williamsburg! 900 Prisoners Taken! Heavy Rebel Losses Over 6,200 Mitigate Victory! Davis Praises Longstreet Nonetheless!
July 8, 1862 - Van Dorn Routed in Missouri! Barnes Liberates Bloomington!
July 8, 1862 - Price and Rebels Take Fort Leavenworth in Kansas!
July 13, 1862 - Carnage on the Rappahannock! Foster Loses over 10,000 and 14 Regiments in Great Disaster Against Stonewall! 3,400 Yanks Taken Prisoners! Brilliant Positioning of Holmes' and Magruder's Artillery Ravages Bluebellies as They Crossed the River! +7 CSA NM! Davis Praises Actions!

[Note: I do believe that a +7 battle is the biggest single result of the tourney so far ..... this is where the game stands at the moment:
Northern Virginia: Union controls Harper's Ferry and Winchester with no known CSA forces nearby. Union controls Alexandria and Manassas, as well as Stafford.
VA Peninsula: Strange moves. See map. Hooker retreats out of W'burg into the region where Longstreet moved out of to attack him! Then, Hooker is set to auto-move back into W'burg. Net result is no more entrenchments. Meanwhile Shields moves out of Ft. Monroe to attack Lee in Hampton, and Lee retreats ... wait for it ... into the Ft. Monroe region! (not into the fort which is still USA). So, Shield and Lee swap places. This makes several turns now that Lee has been "trapped" on the peninsula and so is presumably very low on supplies and ammo (but I haven't looked to see).

Kentucky. Grant controls Ft. Donelson which is hotly contested. Thomas controls Clarksville and the Army of the Potomac, under Fremont, controls Bowling Green. Rebels own Paducah and Columbus, as well as Prestonsburg. Everything else is Union.
Missouri/Arkansas. There is a campaign along the Black River in Arkansas between Lyons and Bragg. It's mix and match in Missouri, with the Union controlling St. Louis, Jeff City and Lexington, and the Confeds controlling Rolla, and Ft. Leavenworth and points south.
As you can see from the losses listed above, the game has gotten bloodier. Not Charlesonmission v Durk bloody, but up there!

L July 62 Results
New York Herald
Lee's Starving Army Nearly Eliminated! [+6 USA NM]
July 23, 1862 - Newport News, Virginia - Desperate to save his starving army, Rebel General Lee attempted a final forced-march breakout through the USA army led by General Shields on the peninsula in Virginia. He did not succeed, and most of his army was taken prisoner (5,600*). What was left fell back into the area near Ft. Monroe, where it awaits its fate. In the battle, Lee's Gen. Ruggles was killed, and there are rumors of others being wounded. Nearly all the losses occurred on the approach to the union lines, as the Yankee artillery fire was withering across a narrow strait of land. Many white flags appeared, and several rebel units surrendered en masse. Confederate regiments lost include:
• 4 elite infantry
• 12 line infantry
• 1 conscript infantry
• 4 light/sharpshooter/militia infantry
• 3 cavalry
• 2 12-lb artillery
Some prisoners said they had not eaten in two days, nor did they have the accoutrements of war. "We ain't had no cartridges in weeks. How you supposed to fight wit'out no cartridges, I'd like to know?" said one Johnny Reb. The presence of large numbers of Union naval vessels all around the peninsula precluded the hope of any retreat or supply by sea.

The President praised General Shields for his defense. "In recent weeks General Shields, General Humphreys and their men have shown us their fine and true nature, first on the attack, and now on the defense. We thank them for their perspicacity and bravery. I am sure we will see General Shields' contributions continue on an even higher level," indicating the likelihood of a promotion for Gen. Shields.

*Note: The battle report showed Lee with considerably fewer men. Such discrepancies are common due to the "flavor" nature of numbers on battle reports. Incidentally, the losses were worth about 122 VPs to the Union.

Grant Destroys Rebel Fort
Dover, Tennessee - General Grant destroyed the remnants of Forts Henry and Donelson before moving out to rest and refit his men. The presence of large rebel land and river forces made holding the position no longer tenable, according to our reporters. Captured rebel guns were taken as well.

[img][IMG]http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/7972/leesdemiseruvbs.jpg[/img][/IMG]

Prospects: What a difference one turn makes! From the depths of the losses of Fredricksburg, the Union pays back in the fullest measure on the peninsula to Marse Roberts, who will be known as "Bloody Lee" throughout the rest of this war, -7NM and +6NM respectively. In Kentucky, the Union has destroyed the key fort guarding the approaches to Nashville, and thus central Tennessee, but has fallen back to regroup and refit. Neither side will yield in Missouri, where maneuver and commitment of new forces seems to be the keys.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm

In answering an earlier question I report my game being in Early July 62. The current VP gap is only 9 points in my favour now. Mostly due to my terrible mistake of not positioning a supply wagon in Island 10, thus recieving an unchecked surrender event that had cost me 68 VP.
Those of you youngsters who dont believe that this can happen, benefit from the old man's errors. It can happen. Funny how at the end of the manual you forgot what you learned in the beginning. I actually forgot why I was always putting a supply wagon in my forts. Now I remember.
This put me in the awkward position to take initiative. I thus sent Robert Lee to take back Manassas, a task in which he brilliantly succeeded.
In Tennessee I correctly anticipated Pope and Grant sandwiching Smith at Humboldt, which brought me to the conclusion that it might be smart to deprive Smith off Grants grip and get him entirely off the Union screen. Humboldt is now abandoned.

Other then that nothing happened although I have it in the waters that greater moves in bahalf of the Union are imminent.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:33 am

And already over. I transmitted the wrong ord-files. The one where I checked for how far my corps could move in the current turn yesterday, instead of my actual orders from today. Result was devastating, at which point I conceded. My compliments go to my opponent.

charlesonmission

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:38 am

Wow, sounds like there are some great games out there!

Altaris

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes, the Citizen X (CSA) vs Seraphim (USA) match has ended with Citizen X conceding defeat to Seraphim. It seems Citizen X accidentally posted orders where he had been plotting movements to determine time of arrivals.

The end result was not pretty. Lee marched his whole army against a very fortified Union position at Alexandria, and over the course of several battles, roughly 50K CSA soldiers were lost to relatively few USA losses. The USA gained a little over 500 VP from this exchange and NM changed about 30 points in each direction (can't remember exact values, but after the battles it was around 70 for CSA and 130 for USA). Pretty much game over for CSA, particularly with this being in northern Virginia.

We discussed a replay, especially considering that the outcome was obviously not intended, but Seraphim was not in favor of one. With this being a tournament, I think it was the right call.

A shame to see this one end this way, it was extremely close in points before this fiasco. I do think the USA was well on its way to winning, but it's hard to tell what will happen in 1862 when the CSA gets the ANV going.

Congrats to Seraphim on his win. Longshanks, you can go ahead and post results on this one if you like.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Altaris wrote:Yes, the Citizen X (CSA) vs Seraphim (USA) match has ended with Citizen X conceding defeat to Seraphim. It seems Citizen X accidentally posted orders where he had been plotting movements to determine time of arrivals.

The end result was not pretty. Lee marched his whole army against a very fortified Union position at Alexandria, and over the course of several battles, roughly 50K CSA soldiers were lost to relatively few USA losses. The USA gained a little over 500 VP from this exchange and NM changed about 30 points in each direction (can't remember exact values, but after the battles it was around 70 for CSA and 130 for USA). Pretty much game over for CSA, particularly with this being in northern Virginia.

We discussed a replay, especially considering that the outcome was obviously not intended, but Seraphim was not in favor of one. With this being a tournament, I think it was the right call.

A shame to see this one end this way, it was extremely close in points before this fiasco. I do think the USA was well on its way to winning, but it's hard to tell what will happen in 1862 when the CSA gets the ANV going.

Congrats to Seraphim on his win. Longshanks, you can go ahead and post results on this one if you like.

Please post (or email me) the date of the last turn and the final VP count, along with the other info on the final objectives screen (you may just want to screenshot that). Thanks, and congrats to Seraphim! I expect CitizenX will be heard from again very soon in the Second Round!

Altaris

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:10 am

Here is screenshot of the final score in Citizen X vs Seraphim game. Turn was Late July 1862. All scores (NM, VP, Casualties, Cities) were very close (very slight CSA advantage) before this past turn, so this doesn't really reflect how most of the game went.

Longshanks, let me know if you want me to host any new matchups, I'll have time free to do it now that this one is over.

[ATTACH]17023[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EOG.jpg

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Game Update 1 of 4 Pat Cleburne v G Christie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Pat Cleburne (CSA) v GChristie (USA)
awaiting L Jan 62 orders
118 NM v 99 NM
48 VP/turn v 38 VP/turn (from cities)
964 v 610 total VPs
20,940 v 16,701 combat losses

Summary: Good players, but one of my slowest moving games. Perhaps they'll pick up the pace! Anyway, there's been some action lately, starting with the first turn! The NM gap is relatively close, and the USA has avoided unnecessary combat losses, so this game promises to be a close one. GChristie is playing cautiously. Pat has taken a risk or two which did not pay off, but it's early and no lasting harm has come of it.

E Sep 61 results
Union Takes Kentucky! Lexington Falls!
Bowling Green Barely Holds On!
Columbus Taken!
Forts on Tennessee and Cumberland Besieged!

L Sep 61 Results
Polk Retakes Western Kentucky!
Johnston Relieves Bowling Green!
Union Puts to Sea!

E Oct 61 Results
Clarksburg Kentucky Holds Against Union!
Gunboats Fight on the Mississippi!
Hooker Surprises, Takes Wilmington NC! [ one of a series of 'disembark' invasions that we're starting to see, although this one was under the old rules ]

L Oct 61 Results
quiet turn ....

E Nov 61 Results
another quiet turn ....

L Nov 61 Results
Headlines of the Raleigh Whig:

Stonewall Pushes Yanks to the Edge of the Sea!
Nov 29, 1861 - Wilmington - Stonewall Jackson arrived from Virginia to expel Yankee invader Gen. Hooker and his men in a sharp battle south of Wilmington. Hooker's forces made their retreat along the strait to Ft. Fisher, which remains in our hands. Gen. Jackson assembled a strong force of 8,492 men and 30 cannons, and deployed them against Hooker's 4,499 men and 8 cannons. Losses of both sides were between 850-900 men.

E Dec 61 Results
Hooker Holds On at Fort Fisher! Jackson Presses Attack with Under 400 Lost on Each Side!
Mansfield Takes Winchester Virginia!

L Dec 61 Results
Wilmington Forts Pound Union Fleet! (68 hits to 4)
Jackson and Smith Nip at Hooker! Yanks Lose 707 to Rebs 369 and are Trapped Between Ft. Fisher and Wilmington!
[ otherwise, pretty quiet ]

E Jan 62 Results
Hooker Escapes from Fort Fisher!
Hooker and his remaining force escaped from the straits outside of Fort Fisher, a fraction of its former might, but otherwise intact. However the Union paid a dear price: the loss of the USS Ottawa, Sabine, Portsmouth, Jamestown and DeSota, all lost to gunfire from Fort Fisher and Fort Caswell outside of Wilmington. Gen. Jackson's forces arrived just a day too late to engage Hooker's Yanks one last time.

All quiet in Kentucky and Missouri, as well as northern Virginia.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Game Update 2 of 4 Rudolf v Blindsniper

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:11 pm

awaiting L Nov 62 orders
96 NM v 104 NM (+27 for the US v -8 for the CS since last turn!!!)
38 VP/turn v 47 VP/turn (compared to 37 VP/turn v 49 VP/turn last report)
1472 v 1574 total VPs (the gap is now 102, compared to 217 in L Jul 62)
100,732 v 108,202 combat losses (compared to 32,078 v 26,763 in L Jul 62)

Summary: This is one of the more active games with respect to the use of troops, as you can see from the combat losses stat. Rudolf is active with his navy, as you will read below. Missouri has been an active front, as has Kentucky.

E Aug 62 results
Hooker, Union Head to Norfolk

L Aug 62 results
Hooker Presses on Norfolk! City Seems Sure to Fall!

Last Remnants of CSA in Ft. Monroe Flee Up the Peninsula!

Sherman Marches Across "Land Between the Rivers"! Two Generals Die in Battle of Henry Ferry Ship Action! (note: strange battle... the "battle" of Henry Ferry ... Gen. Hoke died for the CSA, Gen. Marston died for the Union, although no battle was ever actually fought - there is no Battle Report. Not sure what happened there, I assume it had to do with the river crossing.)

August 29, 1862 - Sherman Takes Columbus KY! Rebel Fleet Barely Escapes! Union Takes 200 Prisoners!

August 29, 1862 - Sumner's 15,000 Defeat Van Dorn's 6,300 at Springfield Missouri! Each side loses over 1,200 men! Union Takes 500 Prisoners!
Sheridan Chases Bragg Out of Black River Valley in Southern Missouri!

E Sept 62 results
Longstreet's Attempt to Clear the Peninsula of Bluebellies Fails! Rebels Lose 6,765 at Hampton to the Union's 1,568! +2 USA NM! Davis Praises Longstreet's "Gallantry against the Enemy!" Shields Reprimanded! [Yet another battle clearly won by one side, with the praise and blame being ass-backwards! Interestingly, Shields is now a 3-3-3 with four stars experience.]

Price Beats Curtis to Jefferson City! Stand Watie's Indian Attack on Curtis Delayed Him, and the Indians Were Eliminated! [0 NM]

Lee Moves Towards Relief of Norfolk! Franklin's Corps Retreats from Suffolk Rather than Fight Bloody Lee!

L Sept 62 results
CSA Navy Moves into Cape Girardeau!
Sherman's Boats Hit Hard by Rebel Guns! Island#10 Guns Blast Away as Sherman Leaves Kentucky!
Franklin Takes Edenton NC! Rebel Cav Retreats Before Large Union Force!
Sheridan Takes Rolla!
Sioux Uprising Put Down! Remaining Indians Flee!
Price Abandons Jefferson City and Disappears into the Wilderness! Curtis Moves in to Occupy Missouri's Capitol!

E Oct 62 Results
Norfolk Surrenders to USA! +1 US NM
Buchanan Evicts Yanks from Reelfoot Lake!

L Oct 62 Results
Kearny Falls Back as Jackson Moves from Fredricksburg to Force Union Out of Supply Path in Louisa!
Union's Franklin Launches Bold Move up Roanoke River and Cross-Country to Capture Goldsboro Depot!
USA's Hamilton Moves to Williamsburg Unopposed!

E Nov 62 Results
[SIZE="6"]Jackson Moves North!!! Battles Abound![/size]
two stories from Harper's Weekly
November 4, 1862 - Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia - As Gen. Stonewall Jackson began moving his forces from Louisa north across the Rappahannock, he was confronted by the Yankees under Gen. Kearny moving in from Albemarle to the west to try for Fredericksburg. The Yank's 21,500 were no match for Stonewall, who turned his 30,000 around like a top and lit into them as they moved near [ PWR = 1578 v 2143 ]. Murderous cannon and musket fire accounted for most of the casualties, as both sides were in for the attack! After a brief final assault, Kearny pulled his troops back, having lost 2 regimental flags [ and -2 US NM ].

November 11, 1862 - Fairfax Court House, Virginia - Gen. Stonewall Jackson's men, fresh from a victory over the Yanks at Spotsylvania Court House, moved quickly north to catch the Yanks unprepared on the approach to Alexandria, the last stop before the North's capital city. Jackson met Grant, the new Yankee general from the West, who gave more than he got, as Jackson's men, now reduced to about 26,500 regulars faced 31,400 fresh, well-entrenched Union troops [ PWR = 1335 v 2477 ]. Determined to break the Yanks as they had a few days before, Jackson ordered his troops forward. With a great haunting yell, his men moved forward into the prepared positions, stopping to fire their rifles as they advanced. Today, the gods of war wore blue. Fire from the union ramparts turned the ground red as line after line of rebels fell ... in all four regiments were destroyed, mostly from Gen. Smith's division. When told that his men had reached the union lines but had expended their ammunition, Gen. Jackson said to his aide, "Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet!" and the line moved forward. Yet it was not to be. The fighting at the entrenchments was brief, as cavalry under Bee and Stuart expended themselves along with the infantry. Nine more regimental flags were lost. Seeing destruction of his entire army could occur, Jackson withdrew to Stafford, with Magruder earning praise for covering the withdrawal.
Losses for the day were 7,518 for the rebs and 2,752 for the Yanks [ +6 US NM ].
Lincoln was quick to praise Grant and his officers: "Generals Grant, Meade and Reno, and men like them, will win this war for our cause." But a better description came from a union soldier who said, when an artillery shell burst mere yards from the great General, "Ulysses don't scare worth a damn."

Yanks Blow Depot in Goldsboro, Pull Out! Ewell Arrives Too Late to Stop the
Destruction!

Quiet in Missouri and Kentucky as Forces Build Up and Move to Winter Quarters!

note to you both: A very interesting turn. Kearny is defeated, but his effort weakened Jackson enough to allow Grant a big win. It's also unusual to see both sides move into an area in Offensive mode and get a fight, as Kearny and Jackson did. What a show!

Image[/URL]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Game Update 3 of 4 MoniKerr v GabrielK

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm

MoniKerr (USA) vs GabrielK (CSA)
Awaiting E Feb 62 orders
72 v 109 NM (-11/+1 since last report
34 vp/turn v 52 vp/turn (from cities) (+2/+2 since last report)
441 v 771 total VPs (compared to 337 v 491 last report)
38,038 v 45,052 combat losses (compared to 21,742 v 27,481 last report)

Summary: This game had a lot of action through October of 1861, but slowed down quite a lot during the winter. Several unusual moves in this game: Longstreet in Missouri, Jackson in Pennsylvania. What will Spring bring?

E Oct 61 results
Longstreet Defeats Union at St. Louis! Sumner Wounded! City Besieged! (Halleck lost 2,215, nearly 10 times what Longstreet lost)
Outnumbered Nearly 2-1 Beauregard Takes Strasburg!
McClellan Takes Command of Army of Potomac! President Concerned over Course of the War!
Stonewall Moves West to Gettysburg from Lancaster!
Grant Moves into Tennessee!
Riverboat Warfare! Cannon-fire on the Mississippi!

L Oct Results
A Time of Battles!
October 16, 1861 J. Johnston Hits Alexandria, Repulsed by McClellan! Over 7,500 Casualties!
October 16, 1861 Over 9,000 Combined Lost as Halleck Holds at St. Louis! Longstreet Falls Back to Illinois! Price Holds the River Crossing! Davis Praises Longstreet as "The Lance of the Confederacy!"
Cairo Shore Guns Pound Rebel Ships!
October 22, 1861 Grant Takes Columbus by Storm! Lincoln Says "Find Out What's He's Drinking, and Send a Barrel to All My Other Generals!"
October 22, 1861 Union Gunboats Clear the Tennessee River by Ft. Henry!
October 24, 1861 Stonewall Returns in Triumph from Maryland, Whipping More Union Troops
October 29, 1861 McClelland Pursues Johnston to Manassas But Is Thrown Back with Heavy Losses! +1NM to CSA!
Winter Comes Early!

E Nov 61 Results
USA's Shields Wipes Out Last Rebel Brigade in Pennsylvania! +1NM!
(mostly a quiet turn!)

L Nov 61 Results
quiet turn... some skirmishes along the Missouri River ... moving into winter quarters

E Dec 61 results
St. Joseph Garrison Surrenders to CSA! +1 CSA NM
Runyon Takes Springfield Missouri! 200 prisoners! Runyon Praised by Lincoln!

L Dec 61 results
Grant Attacks Island#10 but Falls Back! Lincoln Praises Him and Blenker! Note: Lucky you! Great way to get Grant to 3 stars!
Most Armies Fall Back into Prepared Positions for Winter!

E Jan 62 results
Kearny Chases Longstreet Away from Springfield Missouri! note: this might be the furthest West I've ever seen Longstreet!

L Jan 62 results
quiet turn.... except for the mighty building of armies and navies!!!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Game Update 4 of 4 Charlesonmission v Seraphim

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 pm

OUR FIRST ROUND TWO GAME!
Charlesonmission (USA) v Seraphim (CSA)
awaiting L Oct 61 orders
85 NM v 100 NM
37 VP/turn v 48 VP/turn (from cities)
364 v 467 total VPs
20,853 v 26,154 combat losses

Summary: Charles and Seraphim lit into this game like they were on a timer, cranking out turn after turn daily! They're already heading into late Fall, 1861. Lots of action in this game too! Charles came out aggressive and, as you will read below, has upset any CSA timetable for build-up and initiative. There was a big SURPRISE! on the E Aug turn too that both players had to deal with. I'm really looking forward to the fight and conclusion of this game!

let's pick it up with the ....

L May 61 results
no battles
McCulloch Occupies Loudon VA!

E Jun 61 results
Union Takes Jefferson City, Rolla in Missouri!
Fort Monroe Pounds Rebel Fleet! (note: Ft Monroe sank the CSA frigate. I wish the game would report such matters. I expect someone might NOTICE A SHIP IS MISSING!!!! Sorry!)
McCulloch Abandons Loudon for the Shenandoah!
Big Rebel, Yankee Armies Free to Move Now!

L Jun 61 results
quiet turn of manuever

E Jul 61 results
Union Takes Norfolk! Milroy Routs Floyd's Troops, Takes City by Storm! Yanks Lose 2,500 to Rebs 1,000! [ Charles is using the "new" disembark ability smartly to catch the CSA off guard! He had scouted the city already with ships and the troops in Ft. Monroe and so was not too likely to be surprised himself. ]
J Johnston Repulsed in Surprise Attack Against Harper's Ferry! Blenker's Men Hold at the Ramparts! 2,200 Yanks, 2,700 Rebs Lost!
note: No NM exchanged in these battles, somewhat surprisingly.

L July 61 results
Rebel Army of Potomac Defeated at Norfolk! +2 Union NM

From the Richmond Dispatch:

July 30, 1861, Norfolk - Gen. PTG Beauregard railed the entire Army of the Potomac from its positions in Manassas to Norfolk to retake the key port city from Union Gen. Milroy's expeditionary force, hoping to catch it disorganized. The forces were very evenly matched, each with just over 20,000 men and 71 cannons. [ However, the effective combat value was more like 740 v 310, CSA to USA! ] Milroy's force held favorable ground and poured heavy fire on our approaching troops, resplendent in their butternut coats. The Southerners stormed the ramparts, but failed to break the invaders. Soon, our boys fell back and continued to Suffolk to regroup. Losses were 3,013 for the South and 1,506 for the North. No regimental flags were captured.

from Harper's Weekly:
Lyons Repelled at Springfield! Price Holds Against Sustained Attacks!
July 31, 1861 Springfield Missouri - Gen. Lyons sent his men to dislodge Gen. Price's rebels out of this key town in Southern Missouri, but Price and his men held through a series of attacks lasting throughout the last week of the month. By the end of the month, Lyons' men were exhausted, and fell back to Erie Missouri to regroup. Throughout the FIVE battles, Union losses were 4,457, while Rebel Loses were 2,090! (no NM was exchanged!)
Polk Races to Rolla! Occupies the City after Dash from Charleston, Missouri!

E Aug 61 Results
from the Kentucky Daily Journal
[SIZE="5"]Kentucky Joins the Confederacy![/size]
August 1 - Lexington Kentucky - In a surprise move, war hawks from Lexington and the western and southeastern parts of the State passed through a resolution in the State Legislature to Secede from the Union after Northern sympathizers walked out of legislative session in protest of even the mere consideration of secession. Governor Beriah Magoffin immediately signed the bill, making it law. Both sides are scrambling to arm the populace and our fate is now not only in God's hands, it is in the hands of the Sons of the Bluegrass that hold the most rifles. The commonwealth is divided; how can we stand?

Keyes Lands at Wilmington! 200 Prisoners Taken! 500 CSA Lost! Army of the Potomac Arrives Too Late to Defend Major Port! [Charles has again used the disembark feature to surprise the CSA! ]

two stories from Harper's Weekly:
Lyons Resumes Campaign to Take Springfield! 1400 Rebs and 200 Rifles Captured! +3 US NM
August 11 - Springfield Missouri - Lyons moved with 20,000+ men from Eire to fight Price once again. [note: odd report for Lyons that "because of low cohesion we tried not to engage the enemy" because the next line is the battle report!] Unleashing savage fire from his batteries, followed by an assault, Lyons caused over 4,000 casualties to Price while taking 1,300. Battle flags from six regiments were taken as well. "He's a crackerjack, no doubt! We'll see great things from him!" said Lincoln.

Price Strikes Back in Missouri! +1 CSA NM
August 14 - Springfield Missouri - Gen. Price received reinforcement and counterattacked Gen. Sumner's troops before they could dig in, three days after the first battle. Tables were turned in this battle, with the Yanks losing 1,800 men and three regimental battle flags to Price's 830 men. As we approach the middle of August, Price remains entrenched outside of Springfield, with Lyons' men staring him down.

Rebs Besiege Fort Pickens!

L Aug 61 Results
Winchester VA Falls to Yanks!
Lexington KY Falls to Yanks!
Yanks Defend Paducah Kentucky Successfully!

Notes on the War
by Philton P. Peaseblossom, Correspondent for Harper's Weekly
The sudden and unexpected entry of previously neutral Kentucky has clearly caught both sides unprepared. The commitment of forces in Missouri and along the Atlantic Coast has meant few troops were allocated for action in the "Dark and Bloody Ground" of the Bluegrass State - but this is sure to come! "United We Stand" is the commonwealth's motto, and it can be assumed that "divided we will become the next big battleground of the war." But who is best prepared to equip and send forces there soonest? Will new generals arise to grasp the laurels of victory?

E Sep 61 Results
Lyons Hits Springfield Hard But Price Holds! 5,135 Rebs Lost, 2,890 Yanks! Rebel Forces from Rolla Transferred to Springfield Under Gen. G. Smith! [0 NM ]
Magruder Takes Tucson, Arizona Territories! Yanks Lose 1,599, Rebs Lose 676! +1 CSA NM! [Seraphim shows that he indeed has initiative! ]
Yanks Reinforce Fort Pickens!
Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina Quiet Except for Maneuvers!

L Sep 61 Results
from the Charleston Mercury
Keyes and the Yanks Hold Wilmington Against Determined Assault! [+3 US NM ]
September 1, 1861 - Wilmington - The 13,000 Union forces entrenched at Wilmington withstood an all-out assault of 31,000 patriots today [PWR= 449 v 1192]. Our boys suffered 5,781 casualties, while the defenders lost 2,490. The approach through the swamp against a fixed foe told the tale - three regiments were lost to intense Yankee fire. After a brief assault on the ramparts, Gen. Beauregard withdrew his forces to regroup. The Yanks took 800 prisoners and captured 100 rifles. Lincoln praised Keyes for "his masterful defense of a key Southern port." The Yankee fleet ran the gauntlet of rebel forts to sail into Wilmington after the battle, but its purpose is unknown.

Yanks Move South under Blenker from Winchester into the Shenandoah!

Sidney Johnston Takes Over in Bowling Green, While Yankees Move Troops under Wood from Louisville to Face Them!

Missouri Quiet as Rebs Withdraw from Rolla!

E Oct 61 Results
up next!

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:34 am

Very nice report.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

charlesonmission

Thank you Longshanks

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 am

Longshanks,

Thank you so much for your effort into this. This is a splendid experience and has really brought out a new dimension of the game for me.

Charles

Durk

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 am

Durk wrote:Altaris (USA) v Newman5 (CSA)

It is early December, turn 17
NM (USA) 98 (CSA) 101
VP From cities USA 46 CSA 38
VP totals USA 699 CSA 732
Combat losses USA 9,809 CSA 14,387

Altaris has a commanding lead in most theaters, while Newman5 is sustaining his Morale and Victory Point position.

Richmond has opposing forces in three surrounding areas.

The Union is besieging Norfolk and Baton Rouge.

Mobile, Escambra and New Orleans are Union occupied.

The Union forces hold Fts Henry and Donelson and are poised on the north side of the Cumberland.; while holding Gibson, Tenn and Feyetteville, Ak.

This game ends with Altaris commanding the South. With the loss of Richmond, Newman5 surrenders.
Attachments
Alteris vs Newman5.jpg

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Congrats to Altaris! To Newman5, take heart! You can take your revenge out on another opponent in the next round! Thanks to Durk for hosting this game!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Update 1 of 4

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Update 1 of 4
Pat Cleburne (CSA) v GChristie (USA)
awaiting E Apr 62 orders
125 NM v 82 NM (at start of 1862 it was 118 NM v 99 NM)
46 VP/turn v 40 VP/turn from cities (was 48 VP/turn v 38)
1186 v 690 total VPs (was 964 v 610)
42,225 v 46899 combat losses (was 20,940 v 16,701)
Union has 3300 confederate prisoners while the CSA has 2700 Yankees in prison.

After many quiet months, the fighting erupted in early 1862, and the South won most of the big fights in Virginia, leaving the Union to sweep up smaller victories in more distant combat theatres. With over a year to go, this game is far, far from over, but Gen. Cleburne has built a nice cushion of a lead that Gen. Christie will have to work hard to eliminate.

L Jan 62 Results - quiet

E Feb 62 Results
Burnsides Invades Galveston!
Milroy, Blenker Cross the James to Take Suffolk and Besiege Norfolk!

L Feb 62 Results
[SIZE="4"]Massive Winter Battle at Manassas![/size]
Feb 28, 1862 - Manassas - 30,000 Union men under Berry moved into Fauquier County VA and met 17,000 men under Gen. Longstreet [ PWR = 1285 v 1102 ]. Longstreet lost 2,337 men to Berry's 6,580 [218 hits to US v 78 to CSA ]. Longstreet used his entrenchments and firing lines to his advantage, while Berry and his men had to cope with inclement weather while on the move. Nevertheless, Runyon provided excellent cover to allow federal troops to disengage and was commended. The area remains in confederate hands, but Berry has not yet retreated.

Union Takes Tuscon and Galveston in the West! Miles Moves Into Arizona with Large Force! Burnside Completes Invasion of Coastal Texas!

CSA's Smith Moves to Retake Suffolk!

Grant Moves to Paducah to Face A.S. Johnston in Columbus! Are Combatants Digging In or Preparing for Attacks?

E Mar 62 Results
[SIZE="4"]Carnage in Northern Virginia! Huge Battles at Broad Run and Fairfax![/size]

Special to Harper's Weekly
by Uriah Samuel Abercombie

March 2, 1862 - Hamilton's Corps found itself south of Manassas after last week's battle there, and Stonewall Jackson's men wasted no time in moving north to re-engage them, attempting to trap the federals between the entrenchments of Manassas and the Rappahannock. They met near a stretch of land through which flowed the stream to the west and south of the railroad junction, Broad Run, soon to run red. This was one of the largest battles of the war so far, with 42,600 unionists and 33,700 secessionists. While Hamilton began his renewed assault on Longstreet, he was surprised by a vicious and swift riposte from Jackson, to Hamilton's rear. When the day was done, Hamilton had lost nearly a quarter of his force, 9,800, with the CSA losing 4,600. Hamilton managed to disengage and swing to the north and east, along the pikes that lead back to Fairfax. Amazingly, his retreat preserved the integrity of his forces and the retreat was orderly, if dispirited. [ PWR = 2155 US v 1875 CS; +5 CSA NM ]

However, he was unable to retreat, thanks to the fortuitous movement of Holmes Corps, which Beauregard ordered north along the raillines from Fredericksburg to Manassas and then on to Fairfax! Holmes' arrival on March 11 exploited the clear path along the railline into Fairfax, with Berry out of the way since the previous battle. Holmes arrived at McDowell's outer entrenchments, which were along a ridge near Centerville. There, about 13,000 rebels shouted their war-whoops and lit into 25,800 federals. [ PWR 989 CS v 946 US ] His arrival coincided with the inflow of Berry's disorganized men, which confused the Union defense. The result was comparatively smaller losses, about 1,500 each side, and Holmes took 200 cavalrymen prisoner.

At this point McDowell lost his nerve, as Holmes had formed a wedge between his lines and Berry's. The next day, March 12, Ewell attacked, attempting to flank McDowell's men along the Fairfax Pike that leads to Washington. McDowell, fearing that the rebels would move into the capital, fell back there himself, losing 2,100 men of a rearguard brigade, 600 taken prisoner. Berry was left to fend for himself and he managed to fall back into Prince William County, north of Manassas.

President Davis lauded the actions of Holmes and his division commander Gen. Ewell, who pierced the Union corps' lines of command to form the wedge. Winder (from Longstreets Corps) and Whiting (from Jackson's Corps) were also praised for their roles in the first battle.

Johnston Stops Grant!
March 6 - Grant moved 21,000 men south to take the port of Columbus from A.S. Johnston and his 19,000 men. Grant lost 4,400 men and the Southerners lost 2,700, mostly from the CSA Marines, which was decimated. Elsewhere in Kentucky, Gen. Butterfield and the federals occupied Prestonsburg.

News from Texas!
Union fighting in Texas told a different story than that of Virginia and Kentucky.
Burnside moved rapidly inland, and chased the rebels away from Houston, taking two regimental flags [ 0 NM ]. The arrival of Gen. Sibley's forces caused Burnside to pull back into Galveston, however. Further south, Asboth took Matagorda. Both generals were commended by President Lincoln.

Results of L Mar 62
[SIZE="4"]Holmes, Jackson, Longstreet Defeat Union at Manassas![/size]
March 16 - Sudley Springs VA - Union troops under Berry escaped north out of Prince William County [Faquier on the map] to Leesburg as the confederates continue to exploit victories from earlier in the month. The three leading corps of the Army of the Potomac pushed Berry's 20,175 men out with 3,567, at a cost of 3,859 out of their own 46,211. [ PWR = 2137 CS v 838 US ]. [ 0 NM ]

[SIZE="4"]Rebels Assault, Take Alexandria![/size]
March 19 - Alexandria - Gen. Jackson and Whiting arrived at the forefront of a confederate column and stormed Alexandria, eliminating the garrison and capturing 800 men and 100 rifles. Union losses were 1,783, while the rebels lost 1,599. Davis praised the alacrity of these two generals. [ +1 CS NM ]

Union Takes Key Port on the Rivers in Tennessee
March 25 - Gen. Thomas led his men down through the "land between the rivers" to capture the key junction at the former site of two abandoned [destroyed] confederate forts. The Tennessee River is now presumably open to Alabama, while the Cumberland River leads to Nashville.

Forney Relieves Norfolk!
March 25 - A confederate corps under Gen. Forney hit union troops under Gen. Milroy as they were investing the City of Norfolk. The 25,788 men in gray lost 984 combatants as they sent 12,452 bluebellies running, less 461 of their comrades.

Results of E Apr 62
(waiting)

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Update 2 of 4

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Update 2 of 4

awaiting E Apr 63 orders
86 NM v 108 NM (was 96 NM v 104 NM in L Nov 62, the last update)
41 VP/turn v 45 VP/turn (compared to 38 VP/turn v 47 VP/turn last report)
1879 v 2093 total VPs (compared to 1472 v 1574 in L Nov 62)
100,732 v 108,202 combat losses (compared to 32,078 v 26,763 in L Jul 62)
The Union has 13,300 confederate prisoners, to the CSA's 15,500.
SUMMARY: This is a hotly contested game that will likely go down to the wire. Rudolf has begun his effort to close the gap in VPs, but Blindsniper is opposing him at nearly every spot. Lots of action in this game, and fun to watch. This one will almost certainly be won on VPs as neither side has made enough mistakes to allow a NM victory to occur.

L Nov 62 Results
no report

E Dec 62 Results
Note: Now THAT'S a turn!

Dec 5, 1862 - Gallatin Tennessee - Thomas' and Pope's Corps hold off a spirited attack by Edward Johnson's Corps just outside of Gallatin TN, near Nashville. The 32,238 union men under Fremont's army relied on superior firepower to inflict 5,519 losses from 23,451, while suffering 2,275 of their own. [ +2 US NM ]

Dec 9, 1862 - Fredericksburg - Troops from Keyes' corps, moving north from Hanover, VA, caught Stonewall Jackson's men by surprise, turned them and forced a withdrawal by the rebs. The 58,498 union men inflicted 1836 losses on the 18,501 rebels, destroyed 22 cannons, and captured 300 men and 200 rifles, while losing 5,089 men of their own. However, Gen. Jackson declined to get trapped in F'burg and he pulled his men south to Louisa instead. Jackson lost three regiments in the fight. In spite of his performance under dire straits, Davis sent him a telegram lamenting the loss of Fredericksburg. Jackson is reported to have used it to wipe mud off his boots. [ PWR 3770 v 1098; 0 NM changed ]

Dec 11, 1862 - Petersburg - After Gen. Lee received word that Hooker had left Suffolk marching West at the first of the month, Lee loaded his troops in Richmond for movement to Petersburg to reinforce the garrison there and protect Richmond's southern flank. His 14,474 men arrived just in time to hand Hooker's 17,004 a sharp defeat in which 3013 rebs were lost to the yank's 4,996. Lee and Hood were commended. Lee captured 1400 men and 200 rifles. [ +3 CSA NM ]

McCulloch Sneaks Through the Lines, Captures Rolla without a Fight!

L Dec 62 Results
[SIZE="4"]HARPER'S WEEKLY
SPECIAL EDITION![/size]

Our correspondent reports on the latest from Virginia! Does it mean the war is entering its Final Phase?
by
Uriah Samuel Abercrombie

Day After Christmas - Charlottesville Virginia - Gen. U.S. Grant, along with Gen. Reno and Gen. Slocum, moved across the river from Orange, Virginia, and into Charlottesville, the ancestral home of Thomas Jefferson and the Commonwealth's University of Virginia, and took the Confederate defenders by surprise, with a stunning victory. CSA Gen. Holmes' 3,378 troops [ PWR = 200 ] had settled into winter quarters and enjoyed a Christmas Day when the Yankees attacked in the cold dawn on the day after the confederates' celebrations. Catching them unready, Grant's 10,738 [ PWR = 955 ] men unloaded volley after volley as they entered into the confederate lines, and with a final "HUZZAH" they broke the remainder of the rebel line. The rebels lost their entire force, seven regiments, while the Union lost less than 600 men. The bluecoats captured 1500 men and 200 rifles. All three Union commanders were praised by the President. [ +2 US NM ]

The Union's lines now span uninterrupted across the middle of Virginia, from the estuary of the Rappahannock to the hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with no rebel forces north of that line. Both Norfolk and Ft. Monroe are in federalist hands, and there are several raiding parties moving at will across Southern Virginia. Does this mean that the South's ability to wage war in the Old Dominion is failing? Can the Virginians continue to throw away regiment after regiment without inflicting twice the loss on their enemy? This correspondent does not see how, but only Providence can tell. Perhaps the war will be over by Christmas, but not this year.

E Jan 1863 Results
Rebels Defeated at Gallatin!
Confederate forces under E Johnson again tried an assault against entrenched Federal forces in Gallatin Tennessee with similar results to the attack a month earlier. The rebels lost 4,489 men from the force of 18,217 sent, compared to 1,353 of the 30,888 on the Union side. [ PWR = 996 v 2050 ]. Thomas Corps did the bulk of the fighting on the Union side, and their stout defense caused the rebels to rout and fall back into Clarksville. [ +2 US NM ]

Many Ships Sunk in Confederate Victory on the Mississippi River! [ 0 NM ]

Lyons Clears Indian Warriors out of Missouri! Praised by Lincoln!

L Jan 1863 results
Battle of Garysburg (North Carolina)
Jan 28 1863 - Hooker moved 17,500 men and 189 cannon from Suffolk to take this vital railroad depot and link to the rest of the CSA. Confederate Gen. Ewell stopped him, but lost 3,136 of his 5,790 men in doing so. Hooker lost 2,890.

Belle Boyd Flirts with US Grant!

12 Turns Left!

E Feb 63 results
Lee Blocks Hooker's Path Out! Two Battles Fought! [ 0 NM ]
Feb 7 - Having had his way with Garysburg, Hooker began a long march eastwards, only to bump into Gen. Stuart's cavalry in Chowan VA. A brief skirmish resulted with minor losses, and Hooker drove Stuart away, and continued his march toward Suffolk.

Feb 12 - However, Gen. Lee had railed into Suffolk after he received Stuart's report. Both armies were on the attack, and met outside Suffolk. Hooker lost about 800 men and Lee lost 500 and a regiment of cavalry. Hooker had to give up on Suffolk, and fell back into Waverly to the west as the first half of the month ended.

Elsewhere...Pope moves from Bowling Green to take Clarksville TN.

11 turns to go!

L Feb 63 results:
Hooker Escapes to Edenton! Defeats Stuart's Screening Cavalry on the Way! [ 0 NM ]

Schenk, Hancock Take Lynchburg! [ 0 NM ]

Mitchell's Union Cavalry Takes Henry Ferry Ports! Tennessee River Now Open to Alabama! Cumberland River Open to Nashville! [ 0 NM ]

E Mar 63 results:
9 turns left!

Lee Fights Hooker in Edenton North Carolina!
March 8, 1863 - Lee's 19,828 men marched toward the port of Edenton in hopes of catching Franklin's troops there, but the Union General surprised Lee, and his 27,919 men sent Lee packing back into Suffolk. Lee lost 3,228 while Franklin lost 3,720. [0 NM]

Van Dorn Takes Lexington Missouri! Rebs Moving North in Missouri!

Longstreet's Army of the West Heads Toward Springfield!

Union's Mitchell Sails Down Tennessee River to Shiloh near Pittsburg Landing!

Union Fleet Sails Ricketts into Jacksonsville!

Pemberton Retakes Lynchburg for Confederacy!

L Mar 63 Results:
two small battles - one in Kansas, one south of Jacksonville FL

Yankees Move on All Fronts! Cavalry and other units pour down the Tennessee into many regions in Western and Central Tennessee and Northern Alabama!

Lee Leaves Suffolk! Pulls People to Prepared Positions in Petersburg!

8 turns left!!!

E APr 63 results
waiting for this turn

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Update 3 of 4

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 pm

Update 3 of 4

Charlesonmission (USA) v Seraphim (CSA)
awaiting L Jan 62 orders
92 NM v 101 NM (was 85 NM v 100 NM)
37 v 47 VP/turn from cities (was 37 v 48 VP/turn)
522 v 702 total VPs (was 364 v 467)
31,458 v 34,734 combat losses (was 20,853 v 26,154)
This game continues at a blistering pace which is especially remarkable in that we cover 10 times zones among the two players and the moderator. Charles has kept the initiative, largely via his use of the Union navy and invasions. Kentucky is stable, with CSA owning Columbus and Bowling Green and the nearby river forts, but the USA has all the rest. However in the West, the initiative is hotly contested, with the CSA owning Kansas, but the USA owning Fayetteville, but not Springfield! Someone is going to lose a bunch of regiments there sooner or later. On the East coast, Charles has a corps in Savannah with no CSA near, a corps in Wilmington with a weak CSA Division nearby, and he's taken back Norfolk, Columbia, and Chowan! The CSA holds Manassas, but the Union owns the Shenandoah all the way down to Augusta, just NW of Charlottesville. See the situation maps. Both sides went Full Mobilization in E Jan 62 and those forces have started appearing and will continue to do so, and they will shape the game during the Spring and Summer.

E Oct 61 Results
from the Charleston Mercury:

Yankees Fail at Charlottesville!
Oct 11 1861 - Charlottesville - If Gen. Blenker descended from the Shenandoah in hopes of catching the confederates unawares in Thomas Jefferson's home area, he was sadly disappointed, as Gen. Huger and his 8,200 men were ready for him, and provided the 13,500 "guests" the Unwelcome mat. [PWR = 339 USA v 433 CSA ]. Blenker's men lost four regimental flags, three in the approach via withering fire and one in the assault. Blenker's force fell back into Augusta. [ +2 CSA NM ]

Yankee Fleet Barely Escapes Wilmington!
The guns at the CSA's forts fired repeatedly on the Union fleet as it left Wilmington. The fleet took 102 hits, while returning only five. Ship losses are unknown.

L Oct 61 results:
Schurz Routed at Smithville!
Oct 26 1861 - Union forces moving into Smithville in North Carolina were attempting to expand their beachhead at Wilmington, but were repelled by Jackson's men. Jackson had moved rapidly from Beauregard's army north of Wilmington to swing around and catch the Yanks by surprise. The Union lost over 1,000 men (of 1,747), including 200 taken prisoner, while the CSA lost under 100 (of 10,000). A union regimental flag was captured in the surrender. Davis praised Jackson for his quick action. [ 0 NM ]

Grant Fails!
Oct 26 1861 - Columbus Kentucky - US Gen. Grant moved south from Paducah attempting to take the port of Columbus on the Mississippi River, but failed as Gen. Polk's men held firm. Grant lost 1,722, while Polk lost 707. Forces were fairly evenly matched at around 10,000 each. [ 0 NM ]

E Nov 61 results:
+ 8 US NM This Turn! (6 from events and 2 from battles)

Hamilton Storms Into Savannah! Shock and Awe! Rebs Routed, but Losses About the Same!

Polk, Johnston Fail to Coordinate Attack on Grant in Paducah; They were Defeated in Detail! (+1 US NM followed by another +1 US NM ]

Mansfield Takes Swan Quarter!

L Nov 61 Results:
Union Takes Fort Fisher! 500 lost on each side; 0 NM - Keyes Commended!
Lyons Takes Fayetteville in Arkansas! large force takes city by storm - Lyons Commended! CSA Blows the Depot before Surrendering!
Union Takes Clarksburg KY!
Van Dorn Attacks Ft. Leavenworth! Wins Battle But Fails to Take the City!

E Dec 61 Results
no battles, however ....

Trent Affair Escalates! +10 US NM; +35 FI ! [comment: seems to me this has really helped the US. FI was already less than zero, so the +35 didn't really hurt. But the +10 NM is a HUGE bonus at this stage of the game. Future actions may lead to additional increase in FI and perhaps intervention, and then we'll look back on this and say "it was the beginning of the end" but for now, it looks like a nice event for the USA.]

L Dec 61 results
Mobilization Time (if you want to) !

Fort Fisher Destroyed!

Union Assault on Fort Pulaski Fails! [ 0 NM ]

Hooker Takes Edenton! (the same exact move happened in another game today as well! Only THAT game is in 1863!!)

E Jan 1862 results
quiet turn of maneuvering and reinforcing ... except that both sides opted for Full Mobilization! It's on!

L Jan 62 results
waiting

IN THE EAST

ALONG THE EAST COAST

IN THE TRANS-MISSISSIPPI

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Update 4 of 4

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Update 4 of 4

MoniKerr (USA) vs GabrielK (CSA)
Awaiting E Mar 62 orders
76 v 111 NM (compared to 72 v 109 NM since last report)
32 v 52 VP/turn for cities (compared to 34 vp/turn v 52 vp since last report)
518 v 875 total VPs (compared to 441 v 771 last report)
38,833 v 48,712 combat losses (compared to 38,038 v 45,052 last report)
Union holds 5,400 confederate prisoners compared to CSA's 3,300.

SUMMARY: The Union has the initiative in many places, but Virginia is not one of those, as GabrielK has recently launched a second invasion of Maryland/Pennsylvania. Grant, however, has moved into southern Tennessee and seems poised to head either west toward Memphis, south into Mississippi, or East toward Chattanooga, as he owns the Tennessee River. The US is behind on NM and VPs, and will have to concentrate on improving both in order to win. But there are many paths to THAT end!

E Feb 62 results
One big battle, Grant v Sidney Johnston at Humboldt Tennessee (home of the annual Strawberry Festival!!) US Army of the Tennessee with 47,000 men moved in and fought CSA Army of the Tennessee with 25,600 [ PWR = 3055 v 1540 ]. Grant lost ZERO men, and caused 2,367 losses, with 1000 men and 100 rifles captured. 5 CSA regiments wiped out.

Grant's Luck was 52, but Johnston's luck was 96!!!! Go figure.

Results of L Feb 62 Turn:
US Grant Takes Humboldt! Moves into Jackson Tennessee! Memphis, Corinth Threatened! [ 0 NM ]

as reported in the Richmond Dispatch:
Johnston, Jackson and Holmes Invade Maryland!
Feb 28, 1862 - Frederick Maryland - Singing "Maryland, My Maryland" 48,000 rebel troops of the Army of the Shenandoah marched into Frederick, Maryland, in a great crusade to free their brothers from the shackles of the Union invaders. These brave boys in gray met the 25,234 bluebellies under McDowell across the river crossing at Point of Rocks, Maryland and sent him running east. Losses were light for each side: about 740 each. {PWR = 1795 CSA v 1079 USA -- 0 NM ]

Results of E Mar 62 turn:
waiting

Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:01 pm

As always you are doing a great job!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks for the sticky, LL!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”