Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:05 am

Are we lucky or what?

Thank you, majesty! <bows>

Aphrodite Mae

Do it!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:42 am

You're welcome, Longshanks! My pleasure, truly. :)

deguerra wrote:hmmm...I have neither the confidence nor the time to actually partake...

Gentlemen, if you share Deguerra's apprehensions, I respectfully suggest that you find the time! :)

The first PBEM game I ever played was in Daxil's 2008/2009 tournament. Men, it changed my world! It was unquestionably the coolest thing I'd ever experienced, as a wargamer.

It was nerve-wracking; it was thrilling; and I was checking my email 50 times a day! :D
Gentlemen, I'm not kidding when I say that I will remember that experience, for the rest of my life! :)

Here's the thing, guys: I am not a strong gamer. I lost my game. Sure, that was a little disappointing, but you know what? It didn't really matter. It was the experience of it all. I just can't say enough about how much fun it was!

Don't be afraid, guys! I'm a teeny-tiny woman, and yet I did it!
You big strong gentlemen can do it, too! :cool:

Rudolf
Conscript

Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:05 am

Sounds like fun.

I'll play if I can figure out how to upgrade to the latest patch. Currently running 1.15.

Regards,
Kevin

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:41 am

As a native Kentuckian, I'll have to help you Rudolf. But fortunately upgrading and replacing files is no harder than removing your own wisdom teeth, or those of a pit bull on steroids, so we'll figure it out.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:55 am

Longshanks wrote:As a native Kentuckian, I'll have to help you Rudolf. But fortunately upgrading and replacing files is no harder than removing your own wisdom teeth, or those of a pit bull on steroids, so we'll figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbUGL0umzk0

The Road to Kaintuck!

Rudolf
Conscript

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:21 am

Well, Longshanks it looks like Kentucky is going to be well represented in this tourny, both competing and hosting.

As to upgrading... I have downloaded the lastest RC and made a copy of my AACW folder as I want to have both the last offical patch and the beta. My understanding is that I must unzip this file into the ACW folder in the game files. Is this correct?

@ General Cleburne... Johnny Cash and Kentucky are both very dear to my heart. Now if I only had some Pappy on the rocks I could call it a night.

deguerra
Major

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 am

Rudolf wrote:As to upgrading... I have downloaded the lastest RC and made a copy of my AACW folder as I want to have both the last offical patch and the beta. My understanding is that I must unzip this file into the ACW folder in the game files. Is this correct?

Almost but not quite. When you unzip the file, all you get is one file called patch_AACW_v1.16_rc7.exe. Simply double-click that file, point it to your main AACW folder when it asks for a directory, and it will be installed automatically.

There is one additional file which Lodilefty linked to above. In the case of that one, the procedure is to unzip it into the ACW\GameData\Units folder.

:thumbsup:

Seraphim
Corporal

Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:36 am

Count me in.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 am

As being wished for I have notified this tournament to the public in the German HQ.

http://www.si-games.com/forums/showthread.php?p=754360#post754360

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:27 am

Aphrodite Mae wrote:You're welcome, Longshanks! My pleasure, truly. :)

Gentlemen, if you share Deguerra's apprehensions, I respectfully suggest that you find the time! :)

The first PBEM game I ever played was in Daxil's 2008/2009 tournament. Men, it changed my world! It was unquestionably the coolest thing I'd ever experienced, as a wargamer.

It was nerve-wracking; it was thrilling; and I was checking my email 50 times a day! :D
Gentlemen, I'm not kidding when I say that I will remember that experience, for the rest of my life! :)

Here's the thing, guys: I am not a strong gamer. I lost my game. Sure, that was a little disappointing, but you know what? It didn't really matter. It was the experience of it all. I just can't say enough about how much fun it was!

Here's a link to my "famous" AAR! :) General Mae's Debacle
Check it out, and you'll see how much fun it can be!

Don't be afraid, guys! I'm a teeny-tiny woman, and yet I did it!
You big strong gentlemen can do it, too! :cool:

Interesting, Your Majesty.
It means you will partake in this here? :thumbsup:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Rudolf wrote:Well, Longshanks it looks like Kentucky is going to be well represented in this tourny, both competing and hosting.

As to upgrading... I have downloaded the lastest RC and made a copy of my AACW folder as I want to have both the last offical patch and the beta. My understanding is that I must unzip this file into the ACW folder in the game files. Is this correct?

@ General Cleburne... Johnny Cash and Kentucky are both very dear to my heart. Now if I only had some Pappy on the rocks I could call it a night.

When I first read the first sentence, I assumed you were talking about the NCAA men's basketball tourney! :mdr:

Stauffenberg
General

Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:13 pm

Longshanks wrote:Actually, you won't have to host, as I'll be doing all that. All you have to do is send me your ORD files!

So, can I count you as "in"?

Sure, let's cross the river and game it out in the shade of that tree.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Assuming Rudolf and Seraphim join in as indicated, we'll have 9 participants. Seeing that the list may soon overtake my ability to keep up, I'm drawing the limit at 10.

So that mean's one spot left, and I'm not talking "Spot" as in a Dalmatian.

Who will it be? :blink: :blink: :blink:

[Might could squeeze in two more (to 12) if I get several helpers for game hosts/referees. 12 is the absolute limit tho.]

I expect to present the brackets and tourney instructions this Saturday. I'll start a new thread for that. En Guarde!

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

If the great Manstein would join that would be super. To my knowledge he remains undefeated in tourney play. As he is Spanish (I believe) my hope is that this tourney is also posted in the Spanish forum.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:28 pm

gchristie wrote:If the great Manstein would join that would be super. To my knowledge he remains undefeated in tourney play. As he is Spanish (I believe) my hope is that this tourney is also posted in the Spanish forum.

Ethan, if you're reading along, can you post there please?

Aphrodite Mae

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Citizen X wrote:Interesting, Your Majesty.
It means you will partake in this here? :thumbsup:

I want to, bigtime! But I simply can't keep up with the "turn a day" requirements. We don't have highspeed internet, at the "palace". (We live waaaaaay out in the "boonies", and dial up is the only option available.) So, I have to go to WiFi hotspots, in order to post.

In order to participate, I would have to
1) drive many miles to a WiFi hotspot
2) download my turn
3) race home and hastily consider my move
4) drive back to a WiFi hotspot to upload it

I ask for no favors or special exceptions, and wouldn't accept them if offered since that's not fair to anyone else!
But... just as soon as we once again have highspeed internet access at home, then you can be assured that you guys will once again have a sweet little doormat to stomp across, on your way to the next round! :D

Stauffenberg wrote:Sure, let's cross the river and game it out in the shade of that tree.

:mdr:

Hmmm... my queenly prescience is telling me that someone among the gentlemen here is feeling a distinct lack of confidence...
...can't... quite... discern... who...

Good luck, gentlemen! :p ompom:

Altaris

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 pm

I would definitely be interested, I could easily do a turn a day in two games. I'd also be more than happy to run turns, I've hosted games via Dropbox for ACW before. I can be host for several games if you need me to (doesn't take long to run turns).

Let me know if there's still room!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 am

Okay, we're up to 10, and I have some co-hosts lined up. (Thank you!)

So, we're good to expand the field to 12, if we get two more by Saturday, first come, first served. Anyone else can be on the waiting list if I have a pre-start dropout.

Thanks all!

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:42 am

Longshanks wrote:Okay, we're up to 10, and I have some co-hosts lined up. (Thank you!)

So, we're good to expand the field to 12, if we get two more by Saturday, first come, first served. Anyone else can be on the waiting list if I have a pre-start dropout.

Thanks all!

Spoke too soon sorry, have to bow out alas.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:42 pm

No problem, Stauffenberg; better before the tourney starts than in the middle of a game!

That leaves us with 9. Hope to get at least one more by Saturday, or better, three more.

Deguerra. Altaris and Durk will be helping with the host duties, so thanks to them!

Blind Sniper
Sergeant

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Longshanks,

if you want I'm willing to host the game too, I think is a good way to learn by experienced players.

Stauffenberg
General

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Aphrodite Mae wrote:

Hmmm... my queenly prescience is telling me that someone among the gentlemen here is feeling a distinct lack of confidence...
...can't... quite... discern... who...

Good luck, gentlemen!

I'll attempt to get there fastest with the mostest in the near future Mae to quell this unfounded rumour. ;)

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

One Spot Still Open!!!

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Alas, real life called and GraniteStater had to back out.

But good news for those of you who wanted a chance: that means there's a spot open!

You need to be running 1.16RC7 with the add-on artillery files that escaped the upgrade, and commit to at least two games (run consecutively), but that's it!

Let us know as soon as possible!

charlesonmission

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Longshanks, I thought you already had an alternate, maybe mentioned in the other tread below???

Charles

Longshanks wrote:Alas, real life called and GraniteStater had to back out.

But good news for those of you who wanted a chance: that means there's a spot open!

You need to be running 1.16RC7 with the add-on artillery files that escaped the upgrade, and commit to at least two games (run consecutively), but that's it!

Let us know as soon as possible!

FelixZ
Major

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Charles,

I'm using a Mac, so the match would have to be played with 1.15 along with gentlemen rules to account for 1.16;s changes. Up to Longshanks to allow a match under these conditions.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:36 pm

One issue hasnt been addressed yet. How about the division build cap issue? Alteration of files allowed? And if, how shall the figures look like?

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Citizen X wrote:One issue hasnt been addressed yet. How about the division build cap issue? Alteration of files allowed? And if, how shall the figures look like?

Does this address your questions?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=23543

How to modify the Maximum Quantity of Divisions that can be formed.
1. Open Windows Explore
2. Navigate to your installation directory ( default: AGEod's American Civil War)
3. Navigate to \ACW\Events
4. Using NotePad or some other text editor, open the event file with the same name as the scenario you wish to change. (ex: 1861 April w-KY Campaign.sct)
5. Search the file for evt_nam_CSA_DivisionFormation
6. Edit the last number in the line SetCombiUnits = 0;0;30 to the new value. (max 999)
7. Search the file for evt_nam_USA_DivisionFormation
8. Edit the last number in the line SetCombiUnits = 0;0;60to the new value. (max 999)
9. Save the file and close the editor.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:49 pm

We're not modding the files in the tourney. If rc8 changes the limit we will too, otherwise we stick with the limits.

lodilefty

Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Longshanks wrote:We're not modding the files in the tourney. If rc8 changes the limit we will too, otherwise we stick with the limits.

RC8 will not change the limits....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Longshanks wrote:We're not modding the files in the tourney. If rc8 changes the limit we will too, otherwise we stick with the limits.

I brought it up because it happened to me for the first time that I couldnt build more than 20 divisions or so (in another PBEM).

Just wanted to know how we gonna handle this known issue.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”