blackknight
Conscript

Newbie battle scenario questions

Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi all-

RUS player now playing ACW. I have played a lot of the short scenarios and one eastern theater campaign so far. I'm enjoying myself but I have a few questions:

-Is it possible for either side to win the Bull Run scenario, or is this an historical simulator thing showing the futility of the situation? I cannot win it as either side.

-Gettysburg victory conditions: The intro says the Union player wins if they hold Gettysburg at the end, but I have held it throughout, won 49 vps-16, and had the game call it a stalemate. What's that all about?

Thanks,

Brian

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm

The battle scenarios are really just quick adventures. They show you the OOB and relative force dispositions and let you fight a battle or 2. The real meat of the game is in the GC or other big scenarios.

The game calls most results stalemates if there isn't a sudden death due to National Morale. I make up my own victory conditions most of the time.

blackknight
Conscript

Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 pm

It's weird that the game states one victory condition and then doesn't recognize it. I just played Gettysburg and managed to surround and then destroy Lee's army. Final score 379 to 4 for me. The game calls that a stalemate. I find that silly.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 pm

You and I both know that's a victory. I don't think it would really be that hard to fix, but I doubt it will make it into 1.16. I always found victory screens anti-climactic after long campaigns personally.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:02 pm

I agree with Pat: the scenarios are just appetizers, with the Campaign w/kentucky as the Main Course. After playing that for tens of hours, the last thing that will matter is that victory screen. And triple that feeling against if you played against a human player. A live opponent will teach you the game the fastest, after you have the basics from the AI. The AI can also help you hone certain "moves" like how to invade Kentucky, how to defend Washington DC, and so on.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”