Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 13, 2011 2:00 am

The Art of War... What a great book! :w00t: ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pocus

Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 am

Chaplain Lovejoy wrote:As the U.S., I like to keep a "rapid-response force" sitting on a rail line somewhere in Pennsylvania. It can move quickly to defend any of my very lightly defended cities nearby. They're lightly defended because "He who tries to be strong everywhere will be strong nowhere." (Sun Tzu?)

Frederick II also used this quote I believe. But don't quote me on that :neener:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Kind of similar. . . . In the game I'm playing, the South sent a huge army right up through the Shennadoah (spelling?) and marched right up to New York with a pretty large army. Well It sat there and sat there trying to capture NY. . . . I eventually surrounded it with different little groups, and then moved them all in.
It was a blood bath. . . . poor Army didn't have much left by that point.

It caught me off guard though. . . .

colonel hurst
Corporal

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Playing as the CSA I was quite happy that Athena used Grant as garrison commander at Cairo for almost two years allowing me to build a line of forts from Memphis to Knoxville establishing a strong line of defense along the south bank of the Tennessee River. I was also able to hold Nashville until mid '64 when I decided it was time to destroy the depots and rail lines in mid-Tennessee and get behind the forts I had built.

I held on to Paducah all the way through with a one division corps entrenched in a fort holding a piece of coastal artillery.

Eventually Grant showed up near Fort Smith with two small division that I swept aside with a three full division corps under J.B. Hood.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Athena can be a bit, er, thick, sometimes. Are you using the latest update? The AI seems a bit better.

I can guarantee you you'll never see Grant used that way in a PBEM game! He'll be stepping on your coattails asap, usually with his "little friend" Lyons and Sherman.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 pm

Pocus wrote:Frederick II also used this quote I believe. But don't quote me on that :neener:

The fun part is trying to figure out what language he said it in. It's often quoted in German, but I'm pretty sure he said it in French. The (probably) apocryphal quote about only using German to speak to his horses comes to mind.

So my guess is that it's "Qui defend partout defend nulle part" (sorry about the missing accents).

Another fun thing to do is to look at who's quotes get mis-attributed to (if that's even a word) and figure out why.

George McClellan
Captain
Location: " If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!"

Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Reposted for the weirdness of the situation. :bonk:
Athena attacks (Richmond) with one unit (Which is Belle Boyd)
The lack of FOW clearly indicates the also here: factor
Yet she attacks.
George McClellan is locked in Cincinati until Lincoln admits he's a baboon.Image

Pocus

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:19 pm

She must have been caught while trying to spy I guess. Or perhaps she believes that 35.000 men in the same spot have some potential. For what, it is you to decide!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Captain_Orso

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 pm

After a quick reprieve for changing garments, of course she attacked ;)

Oh that Bell :love:

Confederate
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Let's see:

I had PGT in Manassas and he was at lvl4 entrenchment and had like 800pwr. The next turn, the Union sent an army against PGT, which was now lvl5 entrenchment with some reinforcements, so he now had 850pwr.

Then the Union attacked.

It was like suicide. I outnumbered them 2-1 and was entrenched.

Turns out they had over 3,000 casualties and I had like 250.
- Confederate

Captain_Orso

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 pm

ummmm .. sounds like Cold Harbor :non:

Confederate
Lieutenant

The Best Year for the Confederate's

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:33 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:ummmm .. sounds like Cold Harbor :non:

Yeah, it was devastating for them. After winning, their morale went down like 5nm and mine went up 4 :w00t:

And, plus, they had three armies in VA, but I had sent some raiders and Johnston's army to wreck havoc in the Shenedoah, so PGT easily went over and took Washington with hardly a fight. There was 4 units stationed there but none really had an effect because PGT had more than 17.

Also, this all happened in 1861 :D

I captured DC sometime in November 1861 and then continued to capture Baltimore which then ended the game because Union morale plunged. It was over by February 1862 :thumbsup:

Athena must've have been sick :bonk:
- Confederate

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”