GenJackson
Private

Forced March

Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 pm

I recently have seen the "Forced March" button appear on some of my stacks. Can someone define what this does? Thanks!

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Forced March, if successful, makes a force move faster, but at the cost of losing more cohesion. Not sure exactly how much faster, but I know it works better for light units (cavalry, raiders, etc.)
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mickey3D

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:17 am

You'll see the success percentage of forced march by moving your mouse over the button.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:37 am

As an added note, "Forced March" should be used sparingly if at all. The only time I use this order is when I want my cavalry scouts behind enemy lines to skedaddle back to friendly territory ASAP in the face of impending danger. Due to the loss of cohesion, I never issue this order to troops if there's any possibility they'll come into contact with the enemy - no point shaving a couple days off their travel time if they're going to be routed when they get there. The only exception would be if a forced march was the only way to be certain of getting my forces to a strategically indispensible, tactically defensible position (e.g behind a river) BEFORE the enemy arrives, but this sort of situation has not yet come up in any of my games.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 am

Forced March is only available for an activated commander. If you take an activated stack and issue a movement order, it will show how many days are necessary for this move. If you then click Forced March, it will re-estimate the number of days required. I think you may have to deselect the stack or something before re-selecting to see the new times.

PS I also use FM during Winter to move forces from town to town.
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks for the handy tips Cromagnon, that's good to know. I've been wondering if there was any way to see the difference in movement times.

PS: forced march through snow, that sounds like a good time. I can picture them being lured with promises of hot cocoa and roasted marshmallows when they get to town :feu:

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:19 am

PS: forced march through snow, that sounds like a good time. I can picture them being lured with promises of hot cocoa and roasted marshmallows when they get to town :feu:

It's that or freeze; I doubt they'd say "or else spend a supply phase out here in the cold, which would cause us to take several hits." Also the rear guard knows which way to by following the trail of bloody snow.

"I fights mit Sigel"

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:19 am

Also the rear guard knows which way to by following the trail of bloody snow.

Heh, that and the misplaced frostbitten toes? I'd laugh, but that sort of thing actually happened - they really would leave a trail of bloody snow for a lack of proper footwear. Grisly stuff. I'm not sure if I'd rather freeze to death or die of heatstroke though...
:cuit:

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am

John Sedgwick wrote:I'm not sure if I'd rather freeze to death or die of heatstroke though...
:cuit:

Freeze. Heatstroke is pretty miserable; freezing is mostly cold and unconsciousness.

"I fights mit Sigel"

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm

freezing is mostly cold and unconsciousness.
I used to think so, until I experienced second-degree frostbite - it burns like hell! You're right though, based on what I know of heatstroke, I still think I'd rather freeze to death.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:I used to think so, until I experienced second-degree frostbite - it burns like hell! You're right though, based on what I know of heatstroke, I still think I'd rather freeze to death.

Definitely poll material.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm

John Sedgwick wrote:I used to think so, until I experienced second-degree frostbite - it burns like hell! You're right though, based on what I know of heatstroke, I still think I'd rather freeze to death.

Well, you survived. If you'd just frozen straight to death like a sensible conscript, you wouldn't have had to deal with the pain. To die from heat stroke, you have to deal with thirst and delirium.

Having anatomized some folk, I'd say that those who retrieve your body would prefer it be frozen versus baked. When was the last time your freezer smelled like much of anything?

"I fights mit Sigel"

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:29 am

A Revolutionary War reenactor tells me that marching in weather that's "too cold" is preferable to marching in weather that's "too hot."

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am

Cromagnonman wrote:Well, you survived. If you'd just frozen straight to death like a sensible conscript, you wouldn't have had to deal with the pain. To die from heat stroke, you have to deal with thirst and delirium.

Having anatomized some folk, I'd say that those who retrieve your body would prefer it be frozen versus baked. When was the last time your freezer smelled like much of anything?

This thread has definitely taken a wrong turn, and should be allowed to cool down before it gets too hot. ;)
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sieben
Private

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:27 am

In winter I can always put on enough clothing to stay warm. In summer I can't always take off enough to stay cool.

The Devil make me post this.
A soldier has a hard life, and but little consideration.
Robert E. Lee, 1855, in a letter to his wife.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 am

When was the last time your freezer smelled like much of anything?

When we lost power for two days and forgot about a heap of venison in the basement freezer! Point taken :neener:

It seems the general consensus is that being too cold is preferable to being too hot. I must say I agree wholeheartedly, but then I'm practically cold-blooded - anything over 20 degrees celsius is too hot for me! I can't imagine what it must have been like for some northerners in the deep south. I would've died of sunstroke for sure, if the dysentery didn't get me first :bonk:

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 am

I hate the cold. Give me Heatstroke. Everyone else would have liquefied from the supernova before I get heatstroke anyway. Judging from most of the internet conversations I've seen I'm in the minority, but I love 100 degree days. I can't imagine marching 10 miles in the snow with no shoes. I'd be on the first ambulance to the rear.

Mickey3D

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 am

Despite my avatar image I prefer warm weather (around 25 degree Celsius) : building snowman in winter is just fun if you have a warm place nearby. :feu: ;)

My army experience of the cold is that it is no fun to have to wait hours in the cold (you know this stupid guard duty...) and you really suffer when you forget your gloves or are ill equipped and have to work in the snow :eek:

I Agree with Jim-NC, this thread is definitively going out of control :D

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

Tryng to conduct operations in pronounced cold is a royal pain, speaking from experience. In hot places, you can strip down to skivvies & your rifle, if need be (monsoons and sandstorms aside). I hated February drill, everything's all messed up, you can't read instruments, all you want to do is stay warm, you can't leave anything in the snow, it's just a royal pain. January drill was inside in the armory (civil disturbance training, aka Knocking Heads on Command).
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Fingolfin
Corporal

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Well, since I work in a refrigerated warehouse... I'd say cold is good as long as you don't stand still :neener:
« Mon Dieu, Sire, je n'ai vraiment rien fait pour cela, c'est quelque chose d'inexplicable que j'ai en moi et qui porte malheur aux gouvernements qui me négligent. » Talleyrand à Louis XVIII, le 1er Mai 1814

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I hate the cold. Give me Heatstroke. Everyone else would have liquefied from the supernova before I get heatstroke anyway. Judging from most of the internet conversations I've seen I'm in the minority, but I love 100 degree days. I can't imagine marching 10 miles in the snow with no shoes. I'd be on the first ambulance to the rear.

Pat, if you like the heat try visiting southern Spain, Andalucia, Sevilla specifically, in the month of July at 1 p.m. and maybe change your mind... You'll want to be the snowman of Mickey3D´s avatar :D :cuit:

PS: Does anyone know what was this thread? :mdr: :mdr:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 pm

PS: Does anyone know what was this thread?

I think it was about being forced to do something... forced to stay on topic? No, clearly it wasn't that... forced to volunteer? No, that's an oxymoron... forced to eat snow cones? I think that was the one. Something about crushed-ice treats.

Redeemer
Major

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:34 am

John Sedgwick wrote:As an added note, "Forced March" should be used sparingly if at all. The only time I use this order is when I want my cavalry scouts behind enemy lines to skedaddle back to friendly territory ASAP in the face of impending danger. Due to the loss of cohesion, I never issue this order to troops if there's any possibility they'll come into contact with the enemy - no point shaving a couple days off their travel time if they're going to be routed when they get there. The only exception would be if a forced march was the only way to be certain of getting my forces to a strategically indispensible, tactically defensible position (e.g behind a river) BEFORE the enemy arrives, but this sort of situation has not yet come up in any of my games.

I have use it for an unexpected dash to a capital or other strategic target when an opponent thought it unreachable normally and left it ripe for the picking.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:01 am

Redeemer wrote:I have use it for an unexpected dash to a capital or other strategic target when an opponent thought it unreachable normally and left it ripe for the picking.

Yeah, there are certain situations where you just gotta get there first

"I fights mit Sigel"

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”