Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

1862 War in the West only scenario supply questions.

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:06 pm

OK I am brand new to AACW, but so far enjoying it, its a little easier on my old laptop than WIA is. Enough so to make it more playable so I am now trying to figure this game out.

Ok I read the supply stuff, and kind of get how the whole map is a supply distribution system (how well it works depends upon, control, infrastructure, weather), and sources push supply to magnets.

And I also get in order to have oceanic supply you need transports in the "shipping box".

The thing that I am curious about is how to I got about Oceanic supply in the Western Scenario where the shippiong box is unplayable? (There is no shipping box in the Gulf, just a blockade box.)

I got the blockade fleets early and then get the Farragut Fleet and Butlers Invasion force.

And its apparently easy for the south to cut off Fort Pickens supply, (However they get supply which I don't have a clue) Because Fort Pickens is withering away because of no supply.

So Other than making sure Grant gets all the way to mouth of the Mississsippi (or has a stright line supply route to somewhere else close) how is Fort Pickens and eventually Butler going to stay hooked into the supply network?

Vera Cruz doesn't appear to be a magnet either, it has 0/0 supply stocks.

Is there someone to do this I am missing?

Does the blocakade box work for both in this case?

Do I have to "game" this some way because I don't have access to the shipping box?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:44 pm

An excellent question. I wish I could answer it.

It could be 'built-in' - that scenario is ony 25 Turns.

Can someone help this gentleman, please?
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Hmm. Having loaded it up, it appears that you will not have ocean supply in this scenario. Maybe you should sail Farragut & friends all the way to Memphis. Sorry guy. I'm surprised no one has noticed this before and altered the scenario setup.

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:27 pm

No hey guys, its cool, at least I know. I was beginning to think I missed something simple being a n00b to this game and all.

The other issue of course is the blockade fleet which eventually will need supply (25 turn scenario, and ships are usually good for 16-18 turns before they have to be cycled back to "stock up"), I suppose I could sail them up river as well but that seems kind of gamey.

And Fort Pickens (south Alabama coast) eventually ran out of supply, it seemed to start having issues after I cycled the blocakde fleet in total trying to find a place to stock up again. Thats what made me think maybe the blockade box worked for both. But also at that time a single CSA militia was in the next land tile, so I don't know if that cut my supply or not. And if no oceanic supply occurs, how did it get supply the first 15 turns or so?

It makes me think something is going on, maybe there was a huge stock of stuff in the fort at first and it slowly used it up, Im not sure.

But if a scenario fix is in order those are the three issues to look at I would think.

-Blockade fleet

-Fort Pickens

-Farragut and Butler

To bad because I assumed this would be a more enjoyable playing the Union scenario since this time period in the east was basically a disaster for the Union.

Ill try a different scenario, no biggie :)

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Fort Pickens at the beginning of the scenario is 8/2 supply.

And its brown all around me in the south as I suspected in the supply view map.

Jim-NC

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 pm

The scenario is different from others due to the reasons you list. The best rememdy is to take N.O. with Butler. (N.O. produces a ton of supply each turn - I don't remember the exact amount, but it is over 100 GS each turn). After taking N.O., capture the river forts (St. Phillip and Jackson), and now supply will flow from N.O. to Ft. Pickens via your riverine supply points.

Forts in and of themselves sometimes generate supply, but do request it. So Ft. Pickens wants supply, but doesn't generate any/enough. Normally, it gets supplied via the sea network (you would have to capture the adjacent towns to get supply the normal way).

If you want to know how much supply N.O. generates, start a game as the CSA.

Bottom line, capture N.O. with Butler, then the river forts. N.O. generates enough to feed your blockade fleets as well.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Jim-NC wrote:The scenario is different from others due to the reasons you list. The best rememdy is to take N.O. with Butler. (N.O. produces a ton of supply each turn - I don't remember the exact amount, but it is over 100 GS each turn). After taking N.O., capture the river forts (St. Phillip and Jackson), and now supply will flow from N.O. to Ft. Pickens via your riverine supply points.

Forts in and of themselves sometimes generate supply, but do request it. So Ft. Pickens wants supply, but doesn't generate any/enough. Normally, it gets supplied via the sea network (you would have to capture the adjacent towns to get supply the normal way).

If you want to know how much supply N.O. generates, start a game as the CSA.

Bottom line, capture N.O. with Butler, then the river forts. N.O. generates enough to feed your blockade fleets as well.

Have you done that in this scenario? If so how. The force butler has is rather small, and rapidly runs out of supply. I guess you would have to know when he shows up, and make sure you controlled the river down to that point or I guess land and assault the next turn, and hope Butler isn't sitting on his arse like usual ;)

Ill look into it.

Jim-NC

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm

As soon as Butler shows up, I sent him up the river to assault New Orleans. He was able to take it before all his supplies disappeared. The link below is from the 2nd tournament, with the union (me) attacking New Orleans. In this game, the CSA moved an Army to defend it. I was able to push the army out, and capture the city. I did get my head handed to me in that game (but that is a different story).

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15595
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:45 pm

So basically land him and hope for the best.

It seemed to work for you :D

Dam, I wish I wasn't at work right now so I could try it :)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Daniel_Morgan wrote:So basically land him and hope for the best.

It seemed to work for you :D

Dam, I wish I wasn't at work right now so I could try it :)

Your priorities need to be examined ;)
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]

-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES

(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:20 pm

GraniteStater wrote:Your priorities need to be examined ;)

Most I interact with agree I have issues ;)

bigus
General

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Daniel_Morgan wrote:OK I am brand new to AACW, but so far enjoying it, its a little easier on my old laptop than WIA is. Enough so to make it more playable so I am now trying to figure this game out.

Ok I read the supply stuff, and kind of get how the whole map is a supply distribution system (how well it works depends upon, control, infrastructure, weather), and sources push supply to magnets.

And I also get in order to have oceanic supply you need transports in the "shipping box".

The thing that I am curious about is how to I got about Oceanic supply in the Western Scenario where the shippiong box is unplayable? (There is no shipping box in the Gulf, just a blockade box.)

I got the blockade fleets early and then get the Farragut Fleet and Butlers Invasion force.

And its apparently easy for the south to cut off Fort Pickens supply, (However they get supply which I don't have a clue) Because Fort Pickens is withering away because of no supply.

So Other than making sure Grant gets all the way to mouth of the Mississsippi (or has a stright line supply route to somewhere else close) how is Fort Pickens and eventually Butler going to stay hooked into the supply network?

Vera Cruz doesn't appear to be a magnet either, it has 0/0 supply stocks.

Is there someone to do this I am missing?

Does the blocakade box work for both in this case?

Do I have to "game" this some way because I don't have access to the shipping box?

The "Official" West scenario has not been updated for some time.
When I originally altered this scenerio I did not include transports in the shipping box. This is probably the version you are playing.
This has been changed in an updated "modded" West senario that you can find here......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12129

You can extract and copy over just the West scenario but remember to copy both the .scn and the .sct files or you won't see the transports.

The newer version does include ocean supply that arrives when the Butler force arrives.
Scenarios for AACW (1.15)[CENTER][/CENTER]

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Corps and Army Commanders

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:22 pm

wrong thread

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”