marecone

Idea for battle reports

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm

I suggested this To FoF team but since they already did their game nothing happened.
It is about battle reports. About spiceing them up. It would be nice if they would be writen i form of newspaper articles.
Instead "CSA Won" you could write an aricle saying "Today Army of Mississippi won a great battle in x county. Union casultiese were high (5,000). General Forrest distinguished himself with right calls. 9th Mississippi Regiment performed outstanding and it earned itself a nick Mississippi Rifles..."
Or something like it.
Newspapers were very imoprtant back then and those papers were beautiful.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/

Please check this link and go through few numbers. Great pics, articles and some really funny adds.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Pocus

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:41 pm

We know about this great site, in fact we are using some of the graphics for our event engine and the newspapers back are used too in-game, for additional flavor.

We have an event engine which can trigger complex scripts (not complex enough for me, but it already 'knows' 150 commands).

As for your request, we really must finish the mandatory things before thinking of the additional ones. But we patched (I prefer to say updated, as most of the entries were about additional features) Birth of America ten times in this year with a lot of new content.

In the same way we will improve significantly AACW after release.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Sandra

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:48 pm

Actually there are newspapers in AACW (and in BoA), they're used for the historical events. :)

Edit :Hehe Pocus is the fastest poster in the West :nuts:

marecone

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:08 pm

Nice. It adds so much to the game. And battle reports? Will they be deifferent then BoA or no?
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

marecone

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Also, one more idea. If the names for militia and partisans and maybe regiments will be drawn randomly from some pool of names I suggest that these names are assigned to regiments after they performe well in a battle. Also if they fought well at Corinth then they could get nick Corinth rifles and such. Maybe even give this as an option to the player so he can choose beetwen few nicks for his regiment.

Option where you raise, let say, iron brigade is not so good as they earned that nick. People back then didn't just came up with cool nicks for their units. Regimets and Brigades had to earn it in battle.

If none of this will happen, I will still buy the game and I will still love it :niark:

Hidde
Sergeant

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Marecone, I have read most of your comprehensive amount of suggestions on the forum the last few days and I must say that you have several brilliant ideas.
Many of them comes close to what I've been thinking myself. Moreover, it spare me the trouble to try to formulate something similar. :coeurs:
I will bring up my pet pewee, though: statistics. Something like a page where one could follow the history of the war. How many battles that's been fought, casualties for each side, number of battles for different generals and their wins and losses. When and where a general was injured or killed...all kind of stuff.
I believe this would be great for the immersion factor. I brought this up when BOA was new and I seem to remember that Pocus was somewhat positive. :siffle:
Other things a more important, of course but I will continue to hope.

marecone

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:14 pm

Thanks Hidde. Stats would be my next suggestion :niark: . All what Hidde said plus best generals, biggest battles, ships sunk, men enlisted per state and that sort of thing.
End of the game should have all of this. I hate ineffective endings.
Maybe like a history book with few pages. Or something like it.

Pocus

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:13 pm

We would like to add a lot of stuff, and stats screens are definitively amongst the things we want... but for the release the game will be complete, but can't have everything possible, the team is simply too small.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marecone

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Pocus wrote:We would like to add a lot of stuff, and stats screens are definitively amongst the things we want... but for the release the game will be complete, but can't have everything possible, the team is simply too small.

I understand. As I said I am already sure I will buy the game. I still hope you will manage to include stats, at least in the patch.

Hidde
Sergeant

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:12 am

Thats fair enough. All good will come to him that is patient (or how you say in proper english).

Massassa

Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Hidde wrote:. All good will come to him that is patient (or how you say in proper english).

"Everything comes to him who waits", I think...

Spharv2

Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:46 pm

Massassa wrote:"Everything comes to him who waits", I think...

Or "Good things come to those who wait". "Patience is a virtue", "Keep your pants on", "Hold your horses"... :niark:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:16 pm

"Tout vient à point à qui sait attendre..."

:p apy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

marecone

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:20 am

"Onaj ko čeka, taj i dočeka!"
:p apy:
*bit of Croatian :niark:

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”