malthaussen
Sergeant

Why can't I build a fort?

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm sitting in a region where I have 100% control. I have 4 artillery elements and 12 supply elements in a stack with a leader. There is nothing in the region but a railroad. Why can I not build a fort? Yes, the leader is activated.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

Jim-NC

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:14 pm

There could be several reasons for it. Please post your save game for me/others to analyze, and we may be able to find a problem.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Berge20
Sergeant

Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Forts have to be built in a region with a town

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 am

Also, the artillery elements must be of artillery brigades. Elements from mixed brigades won't do.

Lucasiewicz
Private

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 pm

So, how and when can you build forts then these days?

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Lucasiewicz wrote:So, how and when can you build forts then these days?

Hi Lucasiewicz! :)

Check out here...

http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Fort

Regards! ;) :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 pm

malthaussen wrote:I'm sitting in a region where I have 100% control. I have 4 artillery elements and 12 supply elements in a stack with a leader. There is nothing in the region but a railroad. Why can I not build a fort? Yes, the leader is activated.

-- Mal

I think there must be a city (of any level) in the region to build it. If I'm wrong someone correct me. Thanks. ;)
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gchristie
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Seems pretty clear from the wiki that you need a town of some level to build a fort.

"The following requirements must be fulfilled in order to build a permanent fort:

* You must have 4 supply wagon elements and 4 artillery elements gathered in a region.
* The elements must have at least 50% strength.
* The units cannot be in a stack led by an inactive general.
* You must have at least 51% military control of the region in question.
* There must be a city (of any level) in the region. "

The fort will have the name of the highest ranking general in the region.

You can build a depot in regions without a city, provided all other requirements for building depots are in effect.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

malthaussen
Sergeant

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:46 pm

That "city" requirement is kind of silly. There is no "city" where Forts Henry and Donalson are, and lots of coastal forts were built where there were no cities. Not to mention places like Fort Laramie. :)

From the standpoint of realism, it seems strange. If pre-war forts were built anywhere the Army's little heart desired, the combatants of the Civil War should have the same privilege.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

Gray_Lensman

Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm

deleted

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm

malthaussen wrote:That "city" requirement is kind of silly. There is no "city" where Forts Henry and Donalson are, and lots of coastal forts were built where there were no cities. Not to mention places like Fort Laramie. :)

From the standpoint of realism, it seems strange. If pre-war forts were built anywhere the Army's little heart desired, the combatants of the Civil War should have the same privilege.

-- Mal

The forts are indeed a somewhat limited element in AACW. On the one hand, the big brick bastions like Monroe, Sumter, Pulaski, Jefferson, and Pickens were built over many years and at great expense, but mounted scores of protected guns for both seaward and landward defense. Other forts, like Henry or Clark, were thrown up in a few months at the beginning of the war, often mounting only a dozen older cannon and quite vulnerable. However, these are treated the same, and only their infantry complements (due to to nationality) differentiate the 'Gibraltar of the Chesapeake' from forts that were reduced by a few hours of bombardment by wooden ships.

Henry and Donelson, built over a couple months in 1861, are likely the most obvious wartime forts. However, Henry was basically a waste, while Donelson was sited around the town of Dover. Perhaps Henry/Donelson would aesthetically be better represented in-game by the level-1 city of Dover that becomes fortified in late July '61 by event. Similar events could create the majority of the small coastal fortifications the South commissioned during the war. For instance, Fort Clark might be a static militia regiment and artillery battery at level 4 or 5 entrenchment.

These alterations are beyond what is necessary, though they might add some realism and provide for a more historical coastal campaign. I'm pretty sure that no one has captured Fort Clark in 2 days by landing a militia brigade supported by 5 steamers, a frigate, and a blockade ship. Maybe material for an interested modder with more time than I have. Anyhow, I hope I've helped you understand why the ante bellum forts can exist outside towns, and why you can't build them during the game.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”