malthaussen
Sergeant

Cannot take Memphis?

Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:16 am

Playing version 1.15

This is strange, and irritating. Grant is sitting on Memphis with the Army of Tennessee, troops fully supplied, fresh, ready for action, and he is activated. Memphis has been totally breached, there are only about 8 factors of troops left inside (Grant has over 2000), and I have ordered an assault. Three turns in a row, I have ordered an assault, and no assault is forthcoming. There seems to be no reason for this. I emphasize again that Grant IS activated and his troops are at full fatigue, morale, and supply. It seems I just have to wait until fire from the besieging troops finally eliminates the garrison -- which is NOT what I planned for, and has never happened in any other city. Any idea what's up?

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:39 pm

No idea actually but what I would try is to reload the first assaults turn ,detach some troops off Grant's command, without any commander maybe even and put them on assault posture to see if they attack, thus hopefully narrowing the problem into Grant's army somewhere

malthaussen
Sergeant

Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:44 pm

It is moot at the moment, as the besieging force wiped out the garrison with gunfire this turn, and the city has changed hands. But if the problem occurs again, I'll try that. Very annoying, especially as the Army of Tennessee was needed to put out a fire elsewhere last turn and wasn't "available."

-- Mal

gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:20 pm

I think this may answer your question.

From the wiki http://www.ageod.net/aacwwiki/Manual:Army_organization#Army

"Notes: An army HQ with combat units will react quickly to support corps formations but should not be viewed as a super combat stack. It is important to note that a lone army HQ stack will never initiate combat by itself."

If you had a corps attached to Grant's army, and used the corps to assault with an active leader, you should not have a problem. Or do as Citizen X suggested, though a less efficient and riskier approach due to command penalties.

Use those two star generals as corps commanders "and keep moving on."
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

malthaussen
Sergeant

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:48 pm

That might be it, if it means that divisions stacked with the army will not attack. Lacking generals of sufficient seniority atm, I only had 1 corps attached to A. Tennessee, the rest of the units being stacked with the HQ. Will send a major general over to form a new corps, hopefully that will solve the problem.

-- Mal

Gray_Lensman

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:04 am

deleted

malthaussen
Sergeant

Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Ah, my apologies. I shall make a note of it: hardware issues in tech thread, software issues in normal thread.

-- Mal

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”