Garuda
Private

Opening Moves

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:26 pm

I've had AACW on my shelf for a while but finally got round to installing last night.

Started a full campaign game as Union and straight away was at a loss as to what to do. It appears I have a few generals but no brigades. I clicked next turn and waited..and again. When I enacted a draft I suddenly had the option to build units which I queued up, but 'free' units also started appearing too. Would they have turned up anyway?

Anyhow, after being a bit overwhelmed as to what I should be doing could some kind soul please post up the sorts of things you do for the first few moves (as Union or CSA) to give me a guide as to how to get my game up and going?

Thanks.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The AAR section is a great place to learn from experienced players the many dos and don'ts of this great game. The AARs written by Banks and Soundoff are particularly helpful, though they were written prior to the legacy patch v1.15. Although there have been quite a few changes with the legacy patch the AARs provide a good starting point.

It is a complex game, but I encourage you to hang in there as the time spent learning the game will be rewarded many times over, especially when you venture into PBEM.

Regards,
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Mickey3D

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Garuda wrote:I've had AACW on my shelf for a while but finally got round to installing last night.

That's the right move :thumbsup:

Started a full campaign game as Union and straight away was at a loss as to what to do. It appears I have a few generals but no brigades. I clicked next turn and waited..and again. When I enacted a draft I suddenly had the option to build units which I queued up, but 'free' units also started appearing too. Would they have turned up anyway?

That's right, the first few turns, north player hasn't much to do.

What you call "free" units (e.g. army in Alexandria, troops in Washington, force in western virginia, cities garrison) appear through events so, yes, they will appear whatever you do.

Anyhow, after being a bit overwhelmed as to what I should be doing could some kind soul please post up the sorts of things you do for the first few moves (as Union or CSA) to give me a guide as to how to get my game up and going?

Do you want us to unveil all our secret winning strategies ? ;)

It's difficult to give a definitive list of things to do but here are a few questions that you'll have to answer in the first turns :

- When should you first call for volunteers and draft ? Obviously when your National Moral is at highest : so don't use these options as soon as they are available, wait for some events that will raise your NM (I don't have their names in mind but after a few games you'll know them).

- Which call for volunteers/draft options are you going to use ? The ones giving you the highest number of conscripts but with a higher cost in NM and VP or lower ones ?

- Missouri (Union) : Are you going to be defensive by holding St-Louis or offensive with Fort Smith (Arkansas) as objective ? This will have an impact on the forces you want to deploy there. If you want to be offensive then you'll have to be very agressive to prevent confederate player from blowing up depots in Missouri (true against human player, I don't think Athena is fond of scorched earth strategy).

- West (Union) : Secure Cairo. Begin building your invasion force.

- East (Union) : Manassas will be an important objective : failing to secure it will make you loose 10 NM (with patch 1.15). Develop a strategy to seize and hold it against counterattack.

- East (Union) : What are you going to do at Harper's Ferry : are you ready to loose it or do you want to strengthen the position to avoid southern threat on Maryland ?

- Plan some replacements for your units (rule of thumb : 10% of deployed units but no more than 15).

- When you receive the first union generals in Washington, begin to dispatch some of them to Missouri and western theatres of war. Do the same with some supply wagons.

- It's not a task I would do in the first turns but be ready to improve you railroad and river transport capcacity later in the game.

You can also find a wealth of information here.

sbr
Corporal

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Mickey3D wrote:That's the right move :thumbsup:

That's right, the first few turns, north player hasn't much to do.

What you call "free" units (e.g. army in Alexandria, troops in Washington, force in western virginia, cities garrison) appear through events so, yes, they will appear whatever you do.

Do you want us to unveil all our secret winning strategies ? ;)

It's difficult to give a definitive list of things to do but here are a few questions that you'll have to answer in the first turns :

- When should you first call for volunteers and draft ? Obviously when your National Moral is at highest : so don't use these options as soon as they are available, wait for some events that will raise your NM (I don't have their names in mind but after a few games you'll know them).

- Which call for volunteers/draft options are you going to use ? The ones giving you the highest number of conscripts but with a higher cost in NM and VP or lower ones ?

- Missouri : Are you going to be defensive by holding St-Louis or offensive with Fort Smith (Arkansas) as objective ? This will have in impact on the forces you want to deploy there. If you want to be offensive then you'll have to be very agressive to prevent confederate player from blowing up depots in Missouri.

- West : Secure Cairo. Begin building your invasion force.

- East : Manassas will be an important objective : failing to secure it will make you loose 10 NM. Developp a strategy to seize and hold it against counterattack.

- East : What are you going to do at Harper's Ferry : are you ready to loose it or do you want to strengthen the position to avoid southern threat on Maryland ?

- Plan some replacements for your units (rule of thumb : 10% of deployed units but no more than 15).

- When you receive the first union generals in Washington, begin to dispatch some of them to Missouri and western theatres of war. Do the same with some supply wagons.

- It's not a task I would do in the first turns but be ready to improve you railroad and river transport capcacity later in the game.

You can also find a wealth of information here.

Nice. I am in the same boat as Garuda and this looks pretty helpful.

Mickey3D

Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:49 pm

I forget this one :

- East : Buy some new cavalry units and use them as scout to gain information on your opponent deployment. They can also destroy railroad to slow its build up.

Garuda
Private

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks Mickey,

This is really useful stuff to help get my game underway.

sbr wrote:Nice. I am in the same boat as Garuda and this looks pretty helpful.

Lets hope our boat isn't sinking. :neener:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Play a game (PBEM) with sbr!! Good for both of you. t

sbr
Corporal

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 pm

tagwyn wrote:Play a game (PBEM) with sbr!! Good for both of you. t

While I would be interested at some point it might be a bit early as I haven't even pushed the End Turn button in a real game yet. :mdr:

Mickey3D

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Some of the units you receive through events are "pinned" (they can't move). But most of them will be free after some time. So don't forget to look at the messages board after each turn to know which units are ready to receive your orders.

Garuda
Private

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:51 pm

tagwyn wrote:Play a game (PBEM) with sbr!! Good for both of you. t

Unfortunately I have no internet access at home. I only have chance to peruse the forums during my dinner hour at work.

Mickey3D

Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:48 am

As Union player begin to organize your blocade strategy :

- Don't forget that your fleets in the blocade boxes will suffer from fights and weather so you have to keep some relieving ships.
- Have one or several transport ship(s) with your blocade fleets to allow them to stay longer in the blocade boxes.
- Do you want to use brown water blocade (Typically Richmond) ?
- Some players build a depot in one of the two forts in the Florida keys to ease resupply of their ships in the Gulf of Mexico.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:47 pm

#1 rule: it's mainly about logistics.

Do everything you can to protect and enhance your logistical infrastructure.

Do everything you can to degrade your opponent's logistical infrastructure.

ImperatorMJ
Conscript

Sat May 15, 2010 7:55 pm

I designate "dumping cities" for units that I build, with the ultimate intention of building armies beginning there. I usually only do two to start out, but it might well be smarter to do more -- I use Alexandria in the East and New Albany or Cincinnati in the West. I build a bunch of units in Illinois at my first opportunity to give to Lyons once he unfreezes (in St. Louis). I gather them in Cairo and send him downriver to Fort 10, which he can take the moment he arrives if set at all-out. Then you're free to send him to Memphis or Forts Henry and Donelson.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”