blackbird
Sergeant

Please help troubleshoot!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:54 am

We two newbies are trying to play our first PBEM and can't get past turn two.
The host(Whitman-USA) sent me(CSA) the .TRN file. It opened properly. I executed my turn and sent the host back the .ORD file.

He opened it, watched the results, and executed his turn.
He then sent me back what I presume to be my .TRN file(although for some reason, it is not showing a .TRN file extension name), but it will NOT open, nor is it even recognised or displayed in the in game load/saved game window.
Because I am new to this and definitely NOT a computer expert, I can only guess at what is occurring. So, please correct me where I am mistaken and help me to find an answer.

We have tried this twice and are getting frustrated. Could my PC, running Vista, be renaming the file and thus confusing the AGEOD software? Could the host have saved the turn under a different name and that be the conflict? Clearly in the screenshot provided there is some strange name discrepancy between the saved game files.

In the background of the screenshot, you will see the instructions for PBEM cut and pasted from a thread on how to execute PBEM. Unfortunately, the directions haven't helped in this situation :(
Attachments
renamed.jpg

arsan

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:55 am

Hi!
i'm not a PBEM expert at all :bonk: but it seems Whitman manually renamed his file which will cause the game to not recognize it as the next turn in the ongoing PBEM.
He should have let the file with the name the game automatically create for it... :confused:
I think you can rename the game folder (to Blackvird vs withman PBEM or what ever) but never modify the backup folders you will find inside or the .trn and .ord files names.
As its juts turn 2, probably it would be better to start anew :)
Cheers!

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 pm

The file name extension is there alright (as you can see in the "type" column); you simply have blocked your windows OS from showing known extensions. Change that setting and you will see it.

If you create a subfolder in your "saves" folder that has the exact same name as the .trn file before the "~" and put the file there, then you should be able to open and play it.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

blackbird
Sergeant

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

arsan wrote:Hi!
i'm not a PBEM expert at all :bonk: but it seems Whitman manually renamed his file which will cause the game to not recognize it as the next turn in the ongoing PBEM.
He should have let the file with the name the game automatically create for it... :confused:
I think you can rename the game folder (to Blackvird vs withman PBEM or what ever) but never modify the backup folders you will find inside or the .trn and .ord files names.
As its juts turn 2, probably it would be better to start anew :)
Cheers!

--We're on our second attempt already. I've invested many hours at this point in planning and executing turns that we have just thrown away. On top of that, add the several hours of troubleshooting. I love this game, but I think that you can sense that I am deeply frustrated at this point. I'm going to give up on PBEM if I can't get it to work in the next day or two. :(

Heldenkaiser wrote:The file name extension is there alright (as you can see in the "type" column); you simply have blocked your windows OS from showing known extensions. Change that setting and you will see it.
--Please see attached 'extension' screenshot and tell me if I've understood you properly.

If you create a subfolder in your "saves" folder that has the exact same name as the .trn file before the "~" and put the file there, then you should be able to open and play it.

--Okay, I've done that and still can't open it :(
I am still confused as to why my Vista OS? or email provider? insists on placing those '%20' symbols in place of the spaces that the host placed in the file name. I believe that Whitman named the file 'Whitman v Brad' However, somewhere between him uploading the file and my downloading the file, it turns into what is shown in the downloads folder screenshot ''Whitman%20v%20Brad'
Could this be the issue? I've tried opening it with the crazy modified name and ALSO by renaming it back to its appropriate name, but with no success. Would it work if we were to start over and use a simple name, without spaces, such as 'PBEM?'
Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the frustration!
Attachments
savedTRNfile.jpg
savesfolder.jpg
DLfolder.jpg
extension.jpg

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 pm

blackbird wrote:Could this be the issue? I've tried opening it with the crazy modified name and ALSO by renaming it back to its appropriate name, but with no success. Would it work if we were to start over and use a simple name, without spaces, such as 'PBEM?'

Spaces are hardly ever a good idea in file names. Works within some protected environments but tends to kill in transfers. If you need spaces, use the underscore ("_") instead.

Don't give up on PBEM. It's so worthwhile. I have played hundreds of turns on AACW, BOA, WIA and NCP without a glitch.

If you like, we can exchange a few PBEM files (without actually playing, just so you can get used to the PBEM sequence). Drop me a line at heldenkaiser /AT/ gmx /DOT/ net or send a PM.
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:41 pm

blackbird wrote: am still confused as to why my Vista OS? or email provider? insists on placing those '%20' symbols in place of the spaces that the host placed in the file name.

Just on a tech note, the 20 is ANSI hexadecimal code (decimal 32) for a space.

In other words, as noted above, spaces can be bad news in a file name, and in this case the space was rejected and replaced by displaying the underlying computer code. :bonk:

blackbird
Sergeant

Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Spaces are hardly ever a good idea in file names. Works within some protected environments but tends to kill in transfers. If you need spaces, use the underscore ("_") instead.

Don't give up on PBEM. It's so worthwhile. I have played hundreds of turns on AACW, BOA, WIA and NCP without a glitch.

If you like, we can exchange a few PBEM files (without actually playing, just so you can get used to the PBEM sequence). Drop me a line at heldenkaiser /AT/ gmx /DOT/ net or send a PM.

--Wow, that would be great! PM on the way.

blackbird
Sergeant

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 pm

willgamer wrote:Just on a tech note, the 20 is ANSI hexadecimal code (decimal 32) for a space.

In other words, as noted above, spaces can be bad news in a file name, and in this case the space was rejected and replaced by displaying the underlying computer code. :bonk:

That's about what I figured. I am also guessing that due to the name change the game can't recognise it as a continuation of that saved game even though I changed the name back to its original. My guess is that that change that I make is only superficial, ie. just in the Windows Vista GUI, not deep down on that code level of which you speak. Just a guess ;)

Jim-NC

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:14 pm

You could try changing the names of the files involved. For example, when Whitman saves your sent ord file to his directory, he can rename it (to remove the %20, and replace with a space). I am guessing that your orders from turn 1 did not make it to him (or are sitting there unused). He probably executed with Athena taking over your side. IIRC, when that happens, there is no .trn file for the non hosting side (they are placed under the AI turns). This would mean, that no file to send. Also, he would not have used your orders. Have him look at his backup folder, and see if your old file is there. If he renames, it should work, and create a .trn file for both sides. (No guarentees).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blackbird
Sergeant

Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Jim-NC wrote:You could try changing the names of the files involved. For example, when Whitman saves your sent ord file to his directory, he can rename it (to remove the %20, and replace with a space). I am guessing that your orders from turn 1 did not make it to him (or are sitting there unused). He probably executed with Athena taking over your side. IIRC, when that happens, there is no .trn file for the non hosting side (they are placed under the AI turns). This would mean, that no file to send. Also, he would not have used your orders. Have him look at his backup folder, and see if your old file is there. If he renames, it should work, and create a .trn file for both sides. (No guarentees).

--That makes a lot of sense. I do think that he got to see my orders based on the email feedback that I received from him when he sent the dud .TRN file, and not Athena's orders(unless we are on some scary parallel thought process plane). I like the idea of him manipulating the .ORD file that I sent and correcting the file name. We'll experiment with that! Thanks :thumbsup:

Gray_Lensman

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 pm

deleted

Whitman
Private

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Brad, I did not change the name. We restarted a new game. Remember, this first game (turn) you threw the CSA kitchen sink at me in Alexandria. In the second game (turn) you jumped over the Potomac and somehow pounded DC.

Anyway, I know zero about computers, but that thing about not using spaces in the name, that sounds possible.

If you have not given up on me yet, you can Host or I can. But I will NEVER put spaces in the names anymore..,

This FORUM is really incredible. Thank you everyone.

blackbird
Sergeant

Update

Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:43 pm

We are up and running thanks to everybody and their help, especially Heldenkaiser for giving special attention to our problem. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”