Whitman
Private

Units on Trains

Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

I was wondering in AACW (not real life battles) if you have a stack in a Defensive stance that you train-in and it arrives Day 3, and an attacking force arrives Day 4 or later.., Will the unit that came in on the train be given the terrain bonuses.., etc.., as if it was never on the train?

Or, if you are on the train at the beginning, you are considered on the train the whole time and you will be oblitered by any attacking force no matter what day the attack shows up?

Common sense says that you get the terrain bonus if you arrive prior to the attacker. BUT I had a situation where I was training-in USA elements that had firepower of about 200 and they arrived around day 3. An attacking CSA force of less then 200 firepower showed up around day 6 or something.., and killed an incredible amount of men.., like over a thousand. The USA force was almost completly wiped out.

I do not have save files on that because I am not sure how that error log works, but this just happened last night.

Thanks

Pocus

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 am

The game engine 'evacuate' the problem :)

The assumption is that you can only use trains if you control a significant portion of a region (25%)... So when you are caught 'in train', the game assume that because there is significant territory, you get patrols, piquets, vedettes whatever, which warn you in advance (or more simply, the enemy need some time to reach the railway) and so there is never surprise and the troops always unload in time for battle.

This is a simplification indeed... But it also helps the AI.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Whitman
Private

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:04 am

Thank you. I started thinking.., I was coming out of St. Louis on a train.., I think maybe I was massacred due to crossing the river, and not the train. Thank you for that help.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”