fusileer2002
Sergeant

Cavalry and capturing cities/depots

Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:32 pm

With the current patch, can cavalry capture cities and depots? In my current pbem campaign its early '62 and I'm expecting Forest to come into play soon and am planning to use him for some deep raiding. I cant remember though if cavalry was stopped from capturing towns and depots. Maybe it was a mod I was playing.

Thanks

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:07 pm

deleted

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks Gray. When do late cavalry elements appear? And do early ones convert at this point? I think i might load up a scenario and run some tests.

Gray_Lensman

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm

deleted

MikeV
Sergeant

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:09 pm

But, as IRL, Cavalry is for scouting/raiding -- Infantry is for holding ground.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:06 am

I was thinking more for raiding and taking out depots. Is it still the case you need to take control of an enemy city before you can destroy any depot there?

cobraII
Captain

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:50 am

fusileer2002 wrote:I was thinking more for raiding and taking out depots. Is it still the case you need to take control of an enemy city before you can destroy any depot there?

you must be in control of the city/town in order to destroy the depot.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:28 am

deleted

cobraII
Captain

Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:07 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:NOT necessarily. During some convoluted testing I did a couple months ago (after the v1.15 legacy patch), you just have to have a certain level of MC in the REGION in order to destroy an UNGARRISONED depot.

well then most of the time you have to be in control of the city.

"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:01 am

deleted

cobraII
Captain

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:02 pm

I see the point about the gamey starts and stuff, but I wish they could start taking places in late 1862 July on or so, my reasoning behind this is the raids against Buells supply lines Forrest, Morgan, etc in real life

Gray_Lensman

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:08 pm

deleted

cobraII
Captain

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:04 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:It was relatively easy to implement it the way it was done by tying it to the conversion of early cavalry to late cavalry. Any other way would have involved a huge rework of dozens if not hundreds more events and database units/models. At one time the idea was advanced to have certain cavalry leaders cancel the limitation if present. But this was never looked into any further since the original design intent was flawed and got all the debugging attention up to the last v1.15 legacy patch.

Yeah, I wonder now the reason was to stop gamey exploits I assume like quick captures of cairo and grafton to destroy depots, possibly could have just added a milita unit to those two places those were probably most frequent places that people hit. However its too late for that unless done through modding. Its okay though not much of a problem anyway. Happy holidays

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”