Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fixed vs. static

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:24 pm

For the first time I tried one thing ... brigade two one-element militia units with the "plus" button. Saves 1 CP, fine. :)

However in the process I rather inadvertently brigaded some fine mobile militias with some worthless (for invading the North ;) ) "static" militia, thereby making the entire brigade "static" (and it can't be split up again! :( ). This was the first time I noticed that in addition to "fixed" units that show a lock icon the game also has "static" units that are not in any way marked except by a rather inconspicuous text line.

Questions: What is the difference? I mean, both don't move. :confused:
And could static units be a bit more clearly marked? A lock too? A lamppost? A big soft wingchair? Anything that says "this thing won't move"? :innocent:

Thanks! :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Captain_Orso

Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Oh you noticed that too :thumbsup: . There aren't that many of them that appear, at least for the Union side. Mostly they are in Missouri and West Virginia, I think. I think that would be a good suggestion for AACW2 that the static units get marked with an icon too to denote that they are bound to the region. Maybe a beer mug, because they don't want to get too far from the saloon :D . Okay, okay, maybe a padlock of a different color, like silver. It would also be good if they were hidden by pressing <CTRL><F1>. You do get used to knowing where there are after a while though.

There is one small difference between them that I discovered. You can use them to repair demolished rail tracks in their region. You can't do that with fixed units.

BTW neither the fixed nor the static units are freed to move until they actually take a hit from combat. Just being in a besieged city won't do it. My St. Louie Blues :neener: .

Big Ideas
Captain

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:10 am

This question was asked by MrT in the "How to Improve AACW" section on 28th Aug.
PS I don't know how to do the re-direct thing!!!

Captain_Orso

Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:23 pm

Here's the link: Regarding Static Units.

Lesson One) The Larch - no no, The Link

- Open the thread to which you want to link
- Copy the address-bar contents from your browser to your clipboard by marking the entire line and pressing <CTRL><c>
- Go to your 'Reply To Thread' window (where you enter your post and which is already opened because you are replying to somebody's post) and click on the icon that looks like a globe with a little chain in front of it (just above the box in which you write)
- a popup now opens, press <CNTL><v> to copy the contents of your clipboard into the popup and click [OK]
- a link is now inserted into your post and the comment part of this link is marked so that you can enter the name of the link to be shown (as I've done above), or just leave it as it is and the link itself will be shown as the name
- and there you have it

Jim-NC

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:39 pm

And what is wrong with the Larch? It is a magnificent specimen. :mdr:
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

arsan

Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:42 pm

And...
if you want to link to a particular post in a thread, click on the little number on the upper right corner of the post (like the #4 in Orso's reply)
That will open the post in a new browser window/tab and you can copy and paste the post address. :)
For example
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=161099&postcount=4

(copying the address directly as i just did also works for linking. Orso's system is more tidy :thumbsup: but takes a little longer ;) )

gchristie
Brigadier General

Episode 12B.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Here's the link: Regarding Static Units.

Lesson One) The Larch - no no, The Link

VOICE OVER
John Cleese

The sketch:

VOICE OVER: (reading along with slide ../../images)

Episode 12B. How to recognize different types of trees from quite a long way away. No. 1. The Larch. The Larch. And now... No. 3. The Larch. And now... The Horse Chestnut.

One of the sillier Monty Python bits :coeurs:
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

TEP
Conscript

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Monty Python references here, Blackadder refrences there...

This is turning into a British comedy forum :wacko:

Cool - I can live with that :thumbsup:

And now for something completely different...

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”