bk6583
Lieutenant

Wagons and Depots

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 am

A really basic question. Have read the supply posts and Wicki but I still don't quite get building depots. I haven't played this game for years but IIRC you needed two wagons to build a depot, at which point the wagons I believe were 'consumed' in building the depot. The patch errata seemd to say 4 wagons are now required. I'm playing Union 1862 and clicked on Grant (with 4 wagons) to build a depot in an area where there definitely wasn't a depot. Next turn I'm informed that the depot had been built, but only one wagon was used. Did the same with the Union SC force (names escape me) which had two wagons yet a depot was built there with just one wagon. What am I missing? I have the 1.16RC10a patch loaded.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 am

It is the number of supply elements within the unit that matter I believe. Same thing with using one as opposed to two riverine transports to build a depot in a river harbour town--there has to be 4 elements present.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 am

Stauffenberg wrote:It is the number of supply elements within the unit that matter I believe. Same thing with using one as opposed to two riverine transports to build a depot in a river harbour town--there has to be 4 elements present.

Yup, so if you have an undamaged SU (it shows that there is four elements in it) then you are good to go. However, be aware that if you have a leader in the stack he'll have to be active. Of course, you can always remove him from the stack.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:57 am

Longshanks wrote:Yup, so if you have an undamaged SU (it shows that there is four elements in it) then you are good to go. However, be aware that if you have a leader in the stack he'll have to be active. Of course, you can always remove him from the stack.

Gotta love the nuances of this arcane game, even when you don't get it and are tearing your hair out.

Someone please unpack "WAD" for the aging newbs here like myself?

Let's see, could it be: Wistfully Adduced Definition? No. Wierdly Axiomatic Deviancy? Well Advertised Dogma? Not a chance. Willfully Agonistic Dementia? Wild Ass Demiurgic? No, I have it surely-- Wantonly Acronymic Dilemma?

Do tell.

charlesonmission

Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:53 am

Working as Directed. :)

Stauffenberg wrote:Gotta love the nuances of this arcane game, even when you don't get it and are tearing your hair out.

Someone please unpack "WAD" for the aging newbs here like myself?

Let's see, could it be: Wistfully Adduced Definition? No. Wierdly Axiomatic Deviancy? Well Advertised Dogma? Not a chance. Willfully Agonistic Dementia? Wild Ass Demiurgic? No, I have it surely-- Wantonly Acronymic Dilemma?

Do tell.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am

charlesonmission wrote:Working as Directed. :)

I knew it had to be simple finally. thanks. )

lodilefty

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Working As Designed :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

charlesonmission

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Thanks, I knew we would get there!

lodilefty wrote:Working As Designed :D

Captain_Orso

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Longshanks wrote:Yup, so if you have an undamaged SU (it shows that there is four elements in it) then you are good to go. However, be aware that if you have a leader in the stack he'll have to be active. Of course, you can always remove him from the stack.

Hi Longshanks, you must think I'm trying to

-------UP--------DOWN-------YOUR---------

JUMP-------AND----------ON---------TOES-- :D

Anyway, I think Sophie Marceau is sexier ;)

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]pssst I'm having William Wallace's baby :mdr: [/size][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] :blink: [/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Your supply elements only have to be at 50% health, plus as I recently learned, have to have some supply. How much I don't know, but I had been using empty Supply Trains to build depots and some of them weren't getting built. Of course the first phase of the game is supply distributions so this usually worked for me as by the time the depot was to be built (the game checked for the validity of the command) the SU already had some supply.

On a side note, the cheapest way to build a depot is with riverine transports. They cost the least for 4 elements. Besides, apparently more supply is transferred by water than by rail or road. So depots on a river at a harbor are more likely to be filled and full than others that are land locked.

On a way off side note, shipping is still the world's cheapest transportation method by far, just not the quickest.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 pm

No worries. but... I didnt say they had to be full health. The last i recall on it was thst it had to have four elements.

lodilefty

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Longshanks wrote:No worries. but... I didnt say they had to be full health. The last i recall on it was thst it had to have four elements.

4 elements >50% health, in supply, region controlled [no enemy structures], leader active [if there is a leader], no depot already there
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Transports

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Hi Longshanks, you must think I'm trying to

-------UP--------DOWN-------YOUR---------

JUMP-------AND----------ON---------TOES-- :D

Anyway, I think Sophie Marceau is sexier ;)

[INDENT][SIZE="1"]pssst I'm having William Wallace's baby :mdr: [/size][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] :blink: [/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Your supply elements only have to be at 50% health, plus as I recently learned, have to have some supply. How much I don't know, but I had been using empty Supply Trains to build depots and some of them weren't getting built. Of course the first phase of the game is supply distributions so this usually worked for me as by the time the depot was to be built (the game checked for the validity of the command) the SU already had some supply.

On a side note, the cheapest way to build a depot is with riverine transports. They cost the least for 4 elements. Besides, apparently more supply is transferred by water than by rail or road. So depots on a river at a harbor are more likely to be filled and full than others that are land locked.

On a way off side note, shipping is still the world's cheapest transportation method by far, just not the quickest.

Worth gold that tip! :) Just tried it out and no need to move around supply wagons towards the harbours or towns being liberated by the boys in blue along the old man river...

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

Nical
Conscript

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Hello. I'm kind of waiking up an old thread, but it seems to me the right place to do so.

I've read a lot about supply and I am finally understand it. But a couple things bothers me.

Let's take the example of the Missouri theater, while playing the USA side on full campaign. I've taken Rolla and Jefferson city and my next objective is the undefended depot of Springfield.
Jefferson city and Rolla are railroad connected to the Saint Louis level 10 city and level 7 harbor. So I won't have any problem to supply the (less than 5 region from Saint Louis for both of them).
But what about Springfield ? Rolla is a level 1 city, level 1 depot, 3 unclear region from it. Jefferson city is a level 2 city, 3 road region from it.
I read that only 3+ city (or 5+ harbors) can forward supply. Does that means that the Springfield depot can only get its own producted supply ?

Thank you.

Taijian
Private

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm

Nical wrote:Hello. I'm kind of waiking up an old thread, but it seems to me the right place to do so.

I've read a lot about supply and I am finally understand it. But a couple things bothers me.

Let's take the example of the Missouri theater, while playing the USA side on full campaign. I've taken Rolla and Jefferson city and my next objective is the undefended depot of Springfield.
Jefferson city and Rolla are railroad connected to the Saint Louis level 10 city and level 7 harbor. So I won't have any problem to supply the (less than 5 region from Saint Louis for both of them).
But what about Springfield ? Rolla is a level 1 city, level 1 depot, 3 unclear region from it. Jefferson city is a level 2 city, 3 road region from it.
I read that only 3+ city (or 5+ harbors) can forward supply. Does that means that the Springfield depot can only get its own producted supply ?

Not necessarily. If Rolla still has it's depot, then that can also forward supply to the depot at Springfield. As long as the weather is fine, the three region distance should be fine. In winter... So building another depot at Jefferson City, because there is a road connection there, so better supply transport.

WildCat
Conscript

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:53 am

More useful info. Thank you. :)

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”