Parra
Civilian

Supply problems in the west

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 pm

This is my first post. Currently playing the north. Restarted a half dozen times trying to learn the game. I am at the point where I am 1 full year into the full campaign (Early April 62).

My first general problem I am facing (the CSA AI is handing my hat to me) is how to keep my feeble forces in the west in supply. I have lost several units in KS/IT area due to lack of supply.

One thing that has saved my cookies a little bit is that I have regularly invested in factorys in KS and TX because they are so cheap. Ft. Leavenworth and Dallas seem to be creating some 50+ supply/ammo or more per turn. However given the vast area to cover, how does one successfully prosecute any kind of "offensive" in the far west with such meager supply coverage? I can only assume I should be dragging a few supply trains with me at all times.

Thanks in advance...

Redeemer
Major

Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:28 pm

This thread in the Strategy Forum has some good general tips:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12649

Jarkko
Colonel

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:11 am

Parra, move along rivers and keep river-transport pool up. Alternatively you can during summer time advance away from rivers by using "inland" supply-depots (that doesn't work in bad weather, because supplies get stuck in mud/snow). The river-transports, as long as you have enough of them, will keep your forces supplied quite far away as long as your troops are next to the river :)

Also, I suggest you try the Far West scenario, it will teach you a lot of supply-problems and how to handle them. As a plus side it is a fast scenario, so you can re-play it quite a few times during a weekend. I played the scenario 5-6 times during a Saturday wife and kids were out of town, and I felt much more confident about the game in general after that :)
There are three kinds of people: Those who can can count and those who can't.

arsan

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 am

Parra, for the north i think it's more convenient to attack Texas from the sea than across the barren areas of the far west.
If you take the land route and you want to attack with anything bigger than some brigades, you will need not only wagons, but also to build some depots there.
But depots should be protected against raider, what will reduce you first line troops availability :bonk:
As in history, that area is more suitable for small scale fights and cavalry and raider actions than anything else.
Regards!

Mangudai
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:02 am

I agree that the west is a skirmish zone, not fit for big armies. The supply line through Springfield and Fayettville is very easy to cut with cavalry. Also the AI is smart enough to reinforce St. Louis or Little Rock if a large enemy force is moving that way.

As Union, I usually destroy all the depots and indian villages so that I can concentrate on the Mississippi. As Confederate, put an indian guide with any large stack for a 15% supply cost reduction.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”