gchristie
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm

Capt Pob,

At least she knows where you are ;)
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

Capt Pob
Conscript

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:31 pm

Its going to be a tricky choice. A successful campaign as CSA or a happy marriage. I certainly know at this early stage of my AACW learning curve, a happy marriage has been easier to accomplish than victory over the north... :coeurs:

Krec
Sergeant

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:51 am

Capt Pob wrote:Its going to be a tricky choice. A successful campaign as CSA or a happy marriage. I certainly know at this early stage of my AACW learning curve, a happy marriage has been easier to accomplish than victory over the north... :coeurs:

Speak for yorself..........dont let my wife see this thread :grr:

Caltone
Private

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm

I've been away from this game for 6-8 months due to work and other issues. Recently I upgraded to Windows 7 (which I think is a fantastic OS btw). this week, I'm taking some time off for the holiday and decided to reinstall some of my games. I had recently seen a note on patch 1.15 so decided to add this title back early. After spending an hour or so with the game, I must say this game, which was a masterpiece before, is now even better. Thanks for all of the hard work, AGEOD will always get my gaming dollars!

gloog
Civilian

patching game

Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:37 am

Quick question!

My game will not patch beyond 1.06d

When I try to patch beyond that it gives me an error saying invalid serial!!!?

I've tried a complete uninstall, cleaned registery then a clean reinstall!

Never lets me patch 1.07 onwards.......what am I doing wrong?

What am I missing on these patches?

Very frustrating!!!

Any advice welcome

Cheers

Mr.Wednesday
Civilian

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:28 am

Hello everyone, I'm a little late to the party. I recently purchased AACW. I signed up to the forum just to say, "Thank you" to the AGEOD developers.

As an OIF veteran and a third generation military member (2nd generation USMC), I live and breath strategy and tactics games. I have been playing a bunch of WW2 games recently, but I have always had a fascination for the Civil War era and military strategy in general.

AACW is the game I have been looking for to expand my gaming library. I am also amazed at how well AACW has "stood the test of time", great job.

Thank you again!

Jim-NC

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Mr.Wednesday wrote:Hello everyone, I'm a little late to the party. I recently purchased AACW. I signed up to the forum just to say, "Thank you" to the AGEOD developers.

As an OIF veteran and a third generation military member (2nd generation USMC), I live and breath strategy and tactics games. I have been playing a bunch of WW2 games recently, but I have always had a fascination for the Civil War era and military strategy in general.

AACW is the game I have been looking for to expand my gaming library. I am also amazed at how well AACW has "stood the test of time", great job.

Thank you again!

Welcome to the forum. It is full of much wisdom, and many kind folk. Enjoy the game.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oldparatrooper
Conscript

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 pm

I have been playing military strategy games for a while. All the way back to Genghis Khan on NES. I still have a working copy of P.T.O. for Sega Saturn and working copys of the original Panzer General and Allied General for Windows. Not to mention the Imperialisms and a host of others. I just wanted to say this is one of the best military strategy games I have ever played. I only found it recently, what a shame can only think of the good times that were missed, and to see that you guys are still patching this far out since release is just amazing to me. I'm now a solid Ageod customer and if the Gold Edition happens, you can reserve my copy now. Excellent work.

The wife says I'm addicted and she may be correct. If it comes to a choice, I wonder if Gray and Pocus could help out with a good divorce lawyer?

Pocus

Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:54 pm

thanks for the praise, all of us, in the team, are very pleased to see people appreciating so dearly the game. :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

RunnerKnight
Conscript

Spectacular

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I've been playing this game for over a year now, and I'm constantly learning new and cool stuff about it, this is by far the best strategy game I've ever played. It never gets old and the fact that it keeps on getting new updates just ups the value even more. Thanks for sticking with this game :thumbsup: !!!

Pocus

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:21 pm

:)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Templer
General

To arms in Dixie or storming the Bastille.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Five years still on the market and still it is played. :cool:

Which game about the American Civil War should I buy?
AGEOD´s American Civil War, Gary Grigsby's War Between The States or Forge of Freedom?
This question can be found in many forums.

Gary Grigsby's War Between The States is a really excellent strategy game.
Forge of Freedom reminds strongly of Civilization.

Both games brings great fun, but ultimately are only good or excellent strategy games in blue and gray uniforms.

See Chess.
I can buy a Chess set with the figures of Star Wars, Lord of the Ring, or even with soldiers of the American Civil War.
The look will change, but the core, the Game Engine of the game is still chess. :eyebrow:

Which game about the American Civil War should I buy?
Which game about the American Civil War? There is only one on the market!
AGEOD´s American Civil War!
And that's damn good!

Exotic is that it made in France. :blink:

To arms in Dixie or storming the Bastille.
No matter.

I love red wine, cheese, French bread, snails and AGEOD´s American Civil War.
Not always in that order.

Excellent job AGEOD! :thumbsup:

Vive la France!

Pocus

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 am

:)

Morpheus
Private

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:21 am

I used to play Ed Grabowski's Blue & The Gray....

AACW is so much more superior - but I'd like to have the option to fight the battles like you did in Blue & The Gray..... that was cool.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 am

Templer wrote:I love red wine, cheese, French bread, Snails and AGEOD American Civil War.
Not always in that order.

Excellent job AGEOD! :thumbsup:

Vive la France!

Plus French fries!

Montana Brigade
Conscript

Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Great game Enjoying the heck out of it

tyler11
Conscript
Location: Northwest GA, or Central Missouri...depends if school is in session

Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 pm

I am a huge Civil War history fan and have always wanted a quality game that was both fun and historically accurate. This game achieves both of these with Flying colors and i thank the whole AACW team for that and all the work they have put into the game with updates. This is my favorite game of all time and im glad that i randomly found a copy on amazon one day and decided to get it. Amazing replay ability and unlike other games this game actaully offers a challenge :thumbsup:

nats
Conscript

Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:45 pm

Just bought it based on the demo gameplay - very impressed with the game. Shows what a good game it actually is as I am not that interested in American history generally but this game is too good to not play. Actually the one I would be most intersted in playing would be Napoleon but as it doesnt have a campaign I am not interested in pursuing that one further. AGEOD should seriously consider developing that game in the future IMO.

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:07 pm

Time for a bump :)

I got AACW and BOA II WIA about three weeks ago.

I usually go to bed no later than 1100PM on a work night. The last couple of weeks, I have been cursing myself the next day when I haven't gone to bed until 1130, midnight, even pushing close to 1:00 AM. :wacko:

But its not my fault really, I just couldn't get General X to activate when he should have :mdr:

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Congratulations on a great game!

Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 am

I must agree with all the above posters that Aegod's ACW is a great Civil War game.

As a Civil War military history buff and board wargamer from decades ago, I've always been looking for a great grand Civil War strategic wargame.

The old Victory Games/Avalon Hill game "The Civil War",

http://www.wargameacademy.org/CVW/

was the best strategic Civil War board wargame made.

And Aegod's ACW looks to be much the same. Even though I haven't played much, I can tell already it's a great game!

Wallace
Conscript

Excellent Job is right!!

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 am

Newbe here just starting to crawl and get my ten required posts, but I've been playing the tutorials and reading my eyes to death on this forum for the past week. To get anwsers to my questions I run into. You most defiantly can find most answers in here but I catch myself reading more then playing at times which is frustrating at times. :wacko:

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

Seems this is the place to post one's appreciation. Excellent job indeed! Truly a magnificent game, a grognard's dream come true. I was never very interested in the ACW, but this game makes me want to devour all the information I can about this fascinating conflict. I will definitely be buying Pride of Nations (Vainglory of Nations?) when it comes out (my favourite period of history), and I'll probably pick up Revolution Under Siege in the meantime (also a fascinating conflict!). Bravo fellas, bravo.

AGEOD has now surpassed Paradox as my favourite developer of grand strategy titles. I think it would be awesome to work for either of them (don't suppose you're looking for an artist?), but I speak a lot more French than I do Swedish! =P

nervouspete
Conscript

Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 pm

I love this game, I only wish I hadn't gone and lost my serial key from my boxed copy. Had the itch to boot it up again and have the first game since I moved house only to be unable to find the box. Now I have to buy it again. *cries*

Oh well, extra beers for you guys I suppose.

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 pm

I just started playing this game again after shelving it for about 3 or 4 years. I think in the beginning I wanted to just jump in and wasn't ready for the level of gameplay required.

But now, wow, I can't stop playing it. . . . I'm sucked right back into this game BIG time right now.
Now if I would only take the time to truly learn how Divisions / corps / & Armies truely work! :-)
Watch out when I do though!

greenalien
Sergeant

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Coldsteel ask away about corps and divisions, I'll be happy to help. It was difficult for me in that regard as well, but after some time it becomes quite easy to create and manage those units. :)

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Coldsteel, greenalien is right. As soon as you learn the mechanics of the game everything will be easier. Anyway, if you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask me or any fellow. ;)

Enjoy playing! :thumbsup:

Greetings!
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Great. . . .this forum is so helpfull to people. . . . it's such a nice change from other place.

Well a couple questions, and I'm sure they have been asked a hundred times before, but I'll give it a shot. . .

1) I setup a supply depot in southern Missouri. . . .left it abandoned a few turns later (I know, dumb) and the Confed's took it over for 2 turns. They withdrew, Now when I go back to it (With Calvary), it won't let me capture it back. . . . is this normal? Is there something I have to do? I have it on aggr attk, and it doesn't appear to be working.

2) When I setup a Corp, say I setup a corp with Sherman in the West. Can I not have troops attached to him personally / directly? Meaning, I can't attach troops to him like I would if he was still commanding a Division...? Do I basically make him the Corp commander, and then assign divisions into that corp under different Generals? So he would command the entire corp, but not troops personally. . . . ?
Sorry if this seems like an dumb / very newb question. . . I'm just not 100% sure, and trying to find something explaining it isn't coming along.

3) When it comes to ships. . . .do I want warships in the Blockade box and transports in the shipping box? Or do I want warships in both?

Thank you very much in advance!

ColdSteel

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Also. . . .if I'm building troops with Artillery already part of them. . . .is there still a point to building individual artillery pieces?
Do they do the same thing? Or are the artillery pieces you build seperate better then what comes already built into the troops?

Thanks,

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Hi Coldsteel! :)

Well, let's go step by step.

1) What you say is normal. From 1.14 patch: "Implemented a new attribute provided by Pocus (*NoCapture*). Early game horse mounted units can no longer take control of city structures. Once cavalry upgrades to (Late) cavalry (around early 1863), this restriction is lifted. In other words, you will have to accompany invading forces with non horse mounted units if you wish to take control of city structures during this early game period. To clarify: this only applies to city structures, NOT standalone depots/harbors". Therefore, you will also have to use infantry or artillery units to capture these cities.

2) Don't worry. Try to put in command of your stacks to the best generals that you have, and so your troops will benefit from the good command values of these general. In the example that you have commented, if I were you, I would put Sherman in command of the Army, ie, as an Army commander, not as a Corp commander. It's very easy. If you have 2 generals, for example, one of them with very good stats (the case of Sherman) and the other one less good, you should put in command of the Army to the best of them and the other general should be in command of the Corp, and so the worst general's characteristics will be improved by the influence of the best general's characteristics. If you do the opposite, Sherman's stats will worsen. I don't know if I have explained it clearly. :neener:

3) Send to the shipping box all transports that you can and protect them with warships, frigates especially, because they have a high value of detection and evasion.

Frigates (light, steam, and armored) can be used to pursue raider ships in the shipping box; however, they can also be used to intercept blockade runners in the blockade boxes.

Light Frigates have the highest Blockade rating, and are most effective at raising the blockade %.

The USA also has the option to transport supply by sea to coastal areas and ports. The transport capacity depends on the number of transport ships allocated to the “world shipping” box and is displayed on the transport assets panel at the top of the map.

Example: Union shipping allows long distance supply transport, for example from New York to New Orleans. The process is automated and will strive to augment the supply of needy ports and coastal depots by transporting any excess supply in the Northern harbors to where it is needed.

In addition, transports will report you money each turn.

Add some ships in the blockade boxes first, then to blockade the biggest confederate ports. This will add up.

Light (not Steam or Armored) Frigates and blockade ships are the most effective ship types.

4) With respect to the artillery...

The artillery that comes with brigades is usually 6 lb parrot. Over time it can be improved to 12 lb. However, if you buy separate artillery, you can choose among 6 lb, 12 lb, 10 lb, 20 lb, siege artillery, rodmans, etc.

Anyway, here I show you some links (by Dixicrat :coeurs :) that will be very useful for you. ;)

I hope I've helped you. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Regards!
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 am

To expand on Ethan's post:

2. Sherman would have no troops attached to his person. You would need to have divisions formed under other generals, and then attached to the corps. Sherman gives them a bonus for being the corps leader (to the units in the same corps), and the division general gives them a bonus for being the division leader (to the units in the division)

Artillery - you only have so many units that are built with artillery integral. If you want more, you have to purchase separate units. As Ethan says "you can choose among 6 lb, 12 lb, 10 lb, 20 lb, siege artillery, rodmans, etc". So if you want to add a little more punch to your units, add other types of artillery. They are also useful to create "perfect" divisions (I use quotes, as everyone has a different idea of what is perfect). Most of the discussions have said that 4-5 artillery elements are the best average number for each division in a corps, with slightly more in independent divisions.

All artillery is not created equal.

Don't be afraid to use the search function (very helpful).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”