DirkX
Lieutenant

Sync movement

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:22 am

i have 2 corps of the same army in the same region.
i ll give the attack order to an adjacent region which is enemy occupied.
i ll push "sync movement"-button for both corps.

1st corps arrives, fights alone and gets trashed badly, 2nd corps arrives somewhen later and retreats.

did make a mistake somewhere ?

arsan

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:30 am

The army stack must be involved on the sync command.
You can't sync corps without Army HQ
Regards

soloswolf
General of the Army

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:13 am

Also, in performing this movement you only need to drag and drop the Army stack. If the Corps you want to move with the Army have the sync move button on, they will be given a like move order to the same location as the army.

Aaron

Pocus

Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:13 am

You can move 2 corps in synch without an army, DirkX did the correct manipulation.

I just tried that to verify in the 1863 campaign, AI disabled, by moving in synch 11th and 6th corps of the AOP to a nearby region. One had a 14 days travel time, the other 9 only. Both were reported to arrive at day 14.

That you got one corps engaged after another can be that one did not commit into the fight, even in the same region, it asks for a dice roll.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:39 pm

Really?? :bonk: I have never noticed it...
Has this been like that sisnce the begining or there was a change introduced on some patch??
Anyway, then the manual statement about sync movement is at least "a little" misleading if not totaly wrong :siffle:

Copy and paste from the wiki manual:
"Synchronized move: If in the same region, the army HQ and all subordinate corps will move together (at the pace of the slowest corps). Note: This is selected by default. In addition, when the army HQ moves, all subordinate corps in the region will automatically synchronize without needing to use this special order."

Regards

Pocus

Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:47 pm

the wiki list the common occurence, ie you move together everything, but you can move 2 corps by synch only (it has always been the case)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

lodilefty

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Pocus wrote:You can move 2 corps in synch without an army, DirkX did the correct manipulation.

I just tried that to verify in the 1863 campaign, AI disabled, by moving in synch 11th and 6th corps of the AOP to a nearby region. One had a 14 days travel time, the other 9 only. Both were reported to arrive at day 14.

That you got one corps engaged after another can be that one did not commit into the fight, even in the same region, it asks for a dice roll.

I think one point of confusion is that a synch move often displays the differet arrival times as you show, but then synchrnizes during turn execution. This confusion is further compunded by the dice roll to get both corps engaged. The 'hidden' synchronization and engagement roll are not obvious to the casual player, so we keep getting repeated concerns that synch isn't working.

Is it possible to deliver a clearer message of these two occurances?
= Synchronized advance, reached objective in x days
= Engagement by xx Corps delayed.

[Another one for the oft-discussed 'battle log', as this info exists in the log files....]

Pocus

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

the whole message system would need an overhaul though, because people could get drown under the mass of micro-events (imagine the number of 'engagment delayed messages you can get in a turn where the AOP and its 9 corps is battling against the ANV ?)

lodilefty

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Pocus wrote:the whole message system would need an overhaul though, because people could get drown under the mass of micro-events (imagine the number of 'engagment delayed messages you can get in a turn where the AOP and its 9 corps is battling against the ANV ?)

Agreed. The 'movement' report filter is already being overwelmed... :innocent:

If you ever can find the time, the message system probably needs more filter types.... :siffle:

But other priorities exist! :niark:

DirkX
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Pocus wrote:That you got one corps engaged after another can be that one did not commit into the fight, even in the same region, it asks for a dice roll.

i am going to tar and feather Bragg !

by the way: the tooltip says that you can sync 2 corps, so thats pretty clear imo.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”