Historian
Civilian

Using the Game for Educational Purposes

Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:55 pm

Hello! I couldn't a way to contact the developers, so I figured I'd try asking here. Does anyone know if the developers allow people to use the original AACW game for educational purposes?

I am trying to put together a YouTube channel about the War Between the States and I need a way to illustrate the strategic level of the war. Would the developers be willing to let me use the AACW map, leader icons, etc. to illustrate strategic movement during the war? If so, is it possible to use the map and icons without running the game? For example, the First Bull Run scenario starts with the armies in the right positions to illustrate the movements leading up to the battle, but I need a way to move the icons into the same square at the same time without them engaging in combat. And, since I need things to go exactly as they went in real life, I need control of both sets of icons, both sides. Is there a way to use the map and icons without running the game?

Any help or answers you have are most appreciated.

Durk

Re: Using the Game for Educational Purposes

Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:02 am

Welcome to the forum. I cannot speak for developers, but they have a very open game system and are supportive of creative use of the game. Also, as a former teacher and State Dept of Ed policy person, I can tell you this educational use of the game is completely appropriate and legal.

So it can be used to illustrate the war well. Especially as the research into initial deployments are so historically accurate. You can enter the game as both sides without special access, just enter and move.
So enter as the Union, make your move and save.
Then enter as the Confederates, make you move and save.

It really is impossible to move into new turns without battle; so I suggest move opposing forces adjacent and put them in passive posture. As long as you do not leave a force on top of an enemy force, your armies will remain in place without any battles.
If you do this, you can then run the turn, advancing to the phase of the campaign.
Then you once again independently move the armies.

If you look at AARs you will see players often illustrate their play with edited symbols, which you could use to show clashes.

Please send me a private message if you like. My major paper was 'Gaming the Civil War." Of course this was back in the day of board wargames only, but I might be able to help if you get stuck.

Durk

Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:23 am

What occurred to me since my last post is that may never need to run a turn.
Enter as Union and make a move and save.
Then do the same as the Confederacy.

Do your U-tube magic screen capture and such.

Then make the next moves for both side.

The only problem with this notion is if you run out of movement points, but you may not for some time.

Historian
Civilian

Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Durk wrote:What occurred to me since my last post is that may never need to run a turn.
Enter as Union and make a move and save.
Then do the same as the Confederacy.

Do your U-tube magic screen capture and such.

Then make the next moves for both side.

The only problem with this notion is if you run out of movement points, but you may not for some time.

Thank you for your help! I have been having some technical issues and health problems, but I will try this when I am able. Many thanks!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”