Guru80
Colonel

PBEM Host has quite the advantage huh?

Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:51 am

I wasn't even thinking about it until my opponent brought it up but by playing against some random person with them hosting and they want to win desperately (or just can't stand having it right in front of them) all they have to do every turn is look at the opponents trn file. Of course it would take some dishonesty and poor game-ship but very easy and I am sure it happens. Not like they will ever get caught right?

runyan99

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:09 am

If you think it is a problem, I suggest you just stop playing with that person.

Otherwise, being the host confers almost no advantage at all. Watching the turn execute is usually worthless, as the screen jumps to some random part of South Carolina or Kentucky.

Gray_Lensman

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:02 am

deleted

Guru80
Colonel

Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:09 am

It doesn't bother me, just my opponent told me he accidently loaded my file and could see the disposition of my army....

GShock

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 am

I think the real deal is that the PBEM game should be coded by the game. The guest already can't see a replay and of course has no guarantees on the fair-play of his opponent.

I'd always love to see AACW in pbem style act exactly like outlook. Put the address, hit SEND and wooosh. No way (and no need) to see the ord files.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Pocus

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:49 am

Starting with Napoleon, you will have the option to zip & password your files. I hope that AACW will benefits from the module before the next year.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Alias
Conscript

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Pocus wrote:Starting with Napoleon, you will have the option to zip & password your files. I hope that AACW will benefits from the module before the next year.

Nice to know that :)

Crimguy
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 pm

Pocus wrote:Starting with Napoleon, you will have the option to zip & password your files. I hope that AACW will benefits from the module before the next year.

Great news. The PBEM system is a bit clunky, and even after 15-20 turns I was always unsure what files to send (I'm getting old).

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 pm

GShock wrote:I think the real deal is that the PBEM game should be coded by the game. The guest already can't see a replay and of course has no guarantees on the fair-play of his opponent.

I'd always love to see AACW in pbem style act exactly like outlook. Put the address, hit SEND and wooosh. No way (and no need) to see the ord files.

Actually the guest can watch the replay.

When you receive your opponents ord file, sent all six files from that turn back to you opponent. He can watch the replay from those six files. Then you sent the trn file back to him after you execute the turn for him to plot the next turn. The replay is not exact as the execution is on a different computer but is very close to your execution.

Guru80
Colonel

Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm

That is good to know Pocus! It isn't so much a matter of trust on my behalf since if someone wants to cheat to win then so be it, it's only a game and I will play another when that one is complete. It will "even the playing field" though with some measure to ensure the host doesn't have free reign to look at what he pleases.

Whitman
Private

Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:55 am

This is a thread from 7 years ago. It popped up because I did a Search on PBEM cheating, and this popped up.

I bought To End All Wars and I read the manual section on Multiplayer. It occurred to me immediately how this could be abused. Was the "Password Protect" feature ever implemented in TEAW?

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”