SlyBelle
Corporal

Few Questions/Comments...

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:35 pm

1) How do you coordinate an attack from multiple corps/divisions? Everytime I try to do this, one stack will attack ahead of the other stack which makes my battles uneven. Is there anyway to ensure that multiple stacks attack all on the same turn and at the same time? I know there still could be some randomness (i.e. leader decides not to move) but still would like to do this more.

2) Is there anywhere you can see total casulaties for the entire campaign? It shows you it after each battle, but can I see total loses anywhere?

3) Just curious, what are the most casulties you have had during a battle? Most of mine range between 1,000-5,000. Haven't seen many greater than that. Has anybody had huge battles?

4) Confused a little on battles. During a turn, it repesents 14 days. It seems like the game calls every day a fight happens a battle, versus the combination of days equalling a single battle. Just trying to understand this. I would prefer multiple days sometimes equalling a single battle and then the number of casulties I'm seeing probably would be in line with some of the big battles.

5) I have to admit, the biggest thing slowing me down is understanding organization of forces. I have been through the tutorial many times and still not really sure when/how to organize everything. I'm sure I'll get it at some point, but so far yikes.....

Regardless of these questions, I think the game is fun and keeping my interest. As I mentioned in the wish list, I think the biggest thing missing is the "glorification" of the war by not keeping stats of battles and being able to review a timeline of how "my" war went. Just like all civil war buffs like to do, they like to speak of specific battles. Having the history would kind of do this from a game perspective.

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:54 pm

I also have the same questions and comments. Am playing the July 1861 campaign as confederates and just got kicked around by the union at Winchester in blizzard conditions. Thought that I had good org there w/ Johnson's army and a corps under Jackson. Lost everything... a humbling experience.

frank7350
Brigadier General

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:54 pm

check the synch move button for coordinated movement... if it doesn't work, it may be as a result of the leaders in the stack.

swang
Corporal

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:59 pm

The synch button works if
1) the units with the synch button on belong to the same army (they must be corps units)
2) the units involved must be in the same region.

Jeff

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:02 pm

swang wrote:The synch button works if
1) the units with the synch button on belong to the same army (they must be corps units)
2) the units involved must be in the same region.

Jeff

So it seems I must first move all stacks to the same region first and then on the next turn launch the attack, versus having them travel across regions first.

Adlertag

Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:19 pm

SlyBelle wrote:So it seems I must first move all stacks to the same region first and then on the next turn launch the attack, versus having them travel across regions first.

Yes , especially if corps don't come from the same region and have different travel time.
But , even in the same region , if corps don't have the same speed ( one has supply wagon and not the others for example) you will expose your army to first engage ennemy with only part of it.
A one day difference is sufficient to cause you some troubles...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

type7
Sergeant

Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:08 pm

SlyBelle wrote:
2) Is there anywhere you can see total casulaties for the entire campaign? It shows you it after each battle, but can I see total loses anywhere?

I'd like to find these numbers too.

3) Just curious, what are the most casulties you have had during a battle? Most of mine range between 1,000-5,000. Haven't seen many greater than that. Has anybody had huge battles?

I've seen some 10,000+ casualties for one side after a battle or two.

5) I have to admit, the biggest thing slowing me down is understanding organization of forces. I have been through the tutorial many times and still not really sure when/how to organize everything. I'm sure I'll get it at some point, but so far yikes.....

Do the the tutorial a few more times and read the manual section on command structure several times. Then start the Shiloh battle as the North and just spend time organizing your forces into armies/corps/divisions without even worrying about battles. Look at the different combos you can come up with and visualize your command structure as a pyramid.

I'm slowly catching on. When you do start to actually get it, a big fat grin will come across your face as you realize just how good of a feature the command structure is.

Pocus

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:05 am

Have you played the second tutorial on the command structure? It explains everything on that.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:28 am

I have, but still a little daunting. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, it will just take me some time. At this point, I really want to get deep into the game, but a couple of small items keep eating away at me and preventing me from getting fully immersed. I know I have mentioned them a couple of times on the board, but here are some of them:

1) No way to see total casulaties throughout the war --- keeps me from getting a true appreciation of the war -- when you talk about the civil war, everybody always discusses the casulties so I think the game should treat it with the same importantance.

2) No way to see total number of troops that fight in a battle -- just see unit numbers --- i think the battle results screen should show the battle included 10,000 union troops versus 15,000 confederates --- once again gives a better picture than seeing 10 versus 15 units.

3) No battle statistics history - men fought, leaders, units, casulaties, where at, etc. --- battles should be recorded so they could be memorialized and appreciated at the conclusion of a well fought out war

4) Seems each day represents a single battle versus a single battle lasting multiple days

5) End of game --- seems too generic. basically just tells you whether you won or not and by how many points. once again, would rather see some more detail here recapping the war, especially after playing the game for a long time

6) Would love to see more campaigns (i.e. other famous battles, wilderness anietam, etc.) --- like to see them with a variety of lengths, but would prefer more the medium to long lengths -- i know more are planned so maybe not a big deal here

7) Anywhere a rating is displayed, would like to see min/max/avg explainations so I could see if the ratings I have are good or bad. Hard to really tell.

Please don't take this as not liking the game, quite the opposite. I just see so much potential that I would like to see it pushed over the top. Some of these items might be personal preference, but these are the types of things that keep a game on my hard drive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some or all of these ideas are considered for future patches because I really want to fully enjoy the game.

Hobbes

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:38 am

1) No way to see total casulaties throughout the war --- keeps me from getting a true appreciation of the war -- when you talk about the civil war, everybody always discusses the casulties so I think the game should treat it with the same importantance.

This one has been brought up a fair bit - for BoA as well. When Pocus has the time I think the idea of displaying a screen of stats such as this while the AI plans her move or supplies are calculated is a very good one.
(Should also be made available with a hotkey for PBEM games)

Chris

Hobbes

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:48 am

5) End of game --- seems too generic. basically just tells you whether you won or not and by how many points. once again, would rather see some more detail here recapping the war, especially after playing the game for a long time

Agree with this - I would also like the victory level Major/Minor/Draw to be determined by the game. I was well beaten in the end of a BoA PBEM game a
couple of weeks ago after 104 turns but at one point with 3 turns to go it looked as though the scores might have been around 2521 to 2540 which should be called a draw by the game. Otherwise players are in a position not knowing if they should claim victory or not and can lead to a rather anti-climatic ending after a very close and exciting game.

Chris

PhilThib

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:42 pm

This is part of the improvements we should add in the game over the coming months, but it is not (yet) a priority for a small team like us :innocent:

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:13 pm

PhilThib wrote:This is part of the improvements we should add in the game over the coming months, but it is not (yet) a priority for a small team like us :innocent:

Understood...hopefully you get enough sales to be able to make these kind of enhancements. From my perspective, these kind of changes would make this game a no brainer for most people to consider who enjoy the civil war. Without them, just kind of hard to get completly immersed into the game as much as I would want to. I know I'm not the developer, but it would seem the foundation for these kind of enhancements has been set and hopefully wouldn't require a ton of work to try and include them. In my opinion, these would put things over the top and would leave no competition out there. Without them, could keep the argument alive as to which CW game is king :)

Pocus

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:00 pm

having the actual numbers of men at start of battle is planned for very soon, as soon as the bugs are fixed that is :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:57 pm

Pocus,

That is good news...just curious any thoughts on the other suggestions as potential enhancements? Any chance they'll make it, especially the battle statistics and total casulties?

Thanks again.

Pocus

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:11 pm

theorically yes, as long as you don't ask for a 3D tactical module, chances are that any user interface enhancements, if valid, and most here are, would be a good things to do. Now we have to prioritize things, bugs first, then a mix of AI / user interface upgrades, by descending order. This company is very small...

SlyBelle
Corporal

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Great.....I defintely won't be asking for the tactical module, much more enjoy the strategic stuff :)

mike1962
Sergeant

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Yeah, if you want a tactical model go buy FoF! .....o.k., it was suppose to be a joke. :bonk:

Pocus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 am

actually something like a simple filter (filtering all locked units, and/or all units) should be doable very soon, as soon as the crashing bugs report are cleared. They always get the priority, as with hardware bugs from users who can't play at all (these are the topmost).

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”