MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Opening moves as the CSA

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 am

Good men of the South, can you share with me your opening moves (everything in 1861) as the CSA (using last patch). I have been trying a few different things with mixed results.

Also, how do you keep the Yankees out of central Virginia? They seem to run past my guys, not in the slightest interested in engaging me.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Morpheus
Private

My moves....

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:58 am

Hey.

Firstly - this is my first post - so I hope it helps!

As the CSA - I do the usual opening turn move to secure Sumter - but I send the remainder of the force in Charleston to Nashville.

I usually keep the forces of Johnston and Beauregard seperate when they become active - allowing Johnston to hold Harper's ferry and using Beauregard to hold at Fredericksburg.

It's important to maintain a sizable force in Richmond (Art and Inf) at least 5k troops - as the Union always move for this early in the game (depending on AI settings) I then use the force under Johnston to demonstrate (maneuver) to tie up union troops and get cavalry past him into rear areas to annoy him.

If the Union move past your troops at Fredericksburg - then folow them down through Virginia to support and relieve richmond if necessary.

In the west - I build a few brigades in Texas and Arkansas to push north and skirmish in kansas/missouri.

Oh - and in the central area (Tennesee) I push forward into Kentucky and try and seize Louisville......

Sometimes works - but can overstretch myself at times!

:-)

DooberGuy
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51 pm

I'm no expert, but I tend to feel like the CSA is trying not to LOSE the fight, while the USA has to WIN the fight. Therefore I normally play pretty conservatively in the east. In the west I aim to hang on to Springfield Missouri, which isn't too difficult, and in the far west I build a force in Texas to go take New Mexico. Other than that I just hunker down and wait for the Union to make its move and try to exploit any mistakes.

Mickey3D

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:26 pm

If you consider PBEM game, I agree with DooberGuy : let the north make the costly attacks and take benefit of its errors, if any...

In Virginia, Rappahannock is an important line of defense, ensure the north pay the price of blood to cross it.

Try to hold Manassas : if it belongs to you in September 61, North will loose 10 NM.

Also don't let northern player take depots : he must loose time and resource to rebuild them. This is especially true in Missouri where harsh weather is dangerous for units without supply.

Yee Haa
Private

Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 am

Morpheus wrote:Hey.

Firstly - this is my first post - so I hope it helps!

As the CSA - I do the usual opening turn move to secure Sumter - but I send the remainder of the force in Charleston to Nashville.

I usually keep the forces of Johnston and Beauregard seperate when they become active - allowing Johnston to hold Harper's ferry and using Beauregard to hold at Fredericksburg.

It's important to maintain a sizable force in Richmond (Art and Inf) at least 5k troops - as the Union always move for this early in the game (depending on AI settings) I then use the force under Johnston to demonstrate (maneuver) to tie up union troops and get cavalry past him into rear areas to annoy him.

If the Union move past your troops at Fredericksburg - then folow them down through Virginia to support and relieve richmond if necessary.

In the west - I build a few brigades in Texas and Arkansas to push north and skirmish in kansas/missouri.

Oh - and in the central area (Tennesee) I push forward into Kentucky and try and seize Louisville......

Sometimes works - but can overstretch myself at times!

:-)

How does the W/Kentucky variant of the campaign work then in regards to Kentucky's neutrality? In the real war the State declard war on the CSA as it was the first section to violate its neutrality It would be nice to have Kentucky secede due to a Federal incursion (something they must do eventually or leave a buffer along the whole Tennessee border - which can only be good for the CSA - invasions would have to come south down the west bank of the Mississippi, which I believe was refered to as the Trans-Mississippi) as surely a Kentucky that joins the CSA would mean a number of units appearing by event like they do when the other Southern States secede. Incidentally the rule about controlling one strategic city in a State to recruit there, does that mean as I would assume that you are best to recruit all the available Missouri units in the force pool as early as possible so as to get them on the map before you lose the ability to recruit in that State, does the same go for Kentucky if and when you control a strategic city. Historically I believe something like 150,00 Marylanders fought for the Confederacy as opposed to 250,000 for the Union (probably because the Federals controlled the State so militantly) Maryland was for all intents and purposes a pro-southern State, perhaps a few Confederate units by event to simulate the loyal Marylanders. Yee Haa

Gray_Lensman

Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 am

deleted

Jim-NC

Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Yee Haa wrote:Incidentally the rule about controlling one strategic city in a State to recruit there, does that mean as I would assume that you are best to recruit all the available Missouri units in the force pool as early as possible so as to get them on the map before you lose the ability to recruit in that State, does the same go for Kentucky if and when you control a strategic city. Historically I believe something like 150,00 Marylanders fought for the Confederacy as opposed to 250,000 for the Union (probably because the Federals controlled the State so militantly) Maryland was for all intents and purposes a pro-southern State, perhaps a few Confederate units by event to simulate the loyal Marylanders. Yee Haa

If you are so inclined to attempt to hold Missouri, then build units there (before you lose all the cities). The issue it timing, nothing like building an artillery in Jefferson City, and watching the Union capture it 1 turn before completion. Remember, you don't control where units you build are created, so the computer sometimes puts them in really bad locations. I ususally build most of my Missouri units in Arkansas and move them north (safer from union troops).

As the confederates, you do get some units from Maryland via event (Maryland Line brigade formed for example). As for Kentucky, you get some milita no matter which way the state goes (when it decides which side to join). Note that you can not raise Maryland Brigades as the CSA, even if you own cities in the state.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yee Haa
Private

Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Jim-NC wrote:If you are so inclined to attempt to hold Missouri, then build units there (before you lose all the cities). The issue it timing, nothing like building an artillery in Jefferson City, and watching the Union capture it 1 turn before completion. Remember, you don't control where units you build are created, so the computer sometimes puts them in really bad locations. I ususally build most of my Missouri units in Arkansas and move them north (safer from union troops).

As the confederates, you do get some units from Maryland via event (Maryland Line brigade formed for example). As for Kentucky, you get some milita no matter which way the state goes (when it decides which side to join). Note that you can not raise Maryland Brigades as the CSA, even if you own cities in the state.

Oh I get it, I thought you could raise troops in any State within which u control a Strtegic City? So what about the Union, they can raise units in southern States once they control a Strat City - yes? Or is it just the border States for both sides? Jim-NC how do you build Missouri units in Arkansas? Also surely new builds can only appear in cities you control, no? Yee Haa

Gray_Lensman

Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:34 pm

deleted

Jim-NC

Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:13 pm

Yee Haa wrote:Oh I get it, I thought you could raise troops in any State within which u control a Strtegic City? So what about the Union, they can raise units in southern States once they control a Strat City - yes? Or is it just the border States for both sides? Jim-NC how do you build Missouri units in Arkansas? Also surely new builds can only appear in cities you control, no? Yee Haa

I build Arkansas troops to feed into Missouri (but I am 1 person, others do differently). Whenever you build troops, the computer picks their location. As Gray says, sometimes you build a unit then the enemy captures the town, generally destroying the unit. This is especially worrisome with long build time units (Artillery/Ironclads). The enemy can capture/destroy the unit at any time during the build, costing you the money, conscripts, and WS you just spent, for no unit. If you build units in states that are near enemy units, you can get hurt. I was just stating a warning that when you build troops be careful about location. As people say "location, location, location" :D

And as Gray says, you can only build troops in your starting area (some scenarios start with units in other historic locations for example in the 1864 scenario, there are union units that have southern states as their producing areas). Both sides can raise troops in the border states (Missouri/Kentucky)
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CarnageINC
Sergeant

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:54 pm

There is another tactic, high risk, that can pay off in the long term. I've been able to build up 2 divisions in Texas, while holding MO and AR, and use them to slowly work their way up through Denver and Ft. Laramie. From there you can threaten the Great Lakes region, i.e. Milwaukee and Chicago. Depots must be built of course and reinforcements brought to hold the depots. Its hard for the union to get a lot of troops in the area in a timely manner without having to sacrifice other areas.
However if the Union can get troops in front of you in large enough numbers this will stop you cold since your troops will be tired from the long march.

Mickey3D

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:02 pm

CarnageINC wrote:There is another tactic, high risk, that can pay off in the long term. I've been able to build up 2 divisions in Texas, while holding MO and AR, and use them to slowly work their way up through Denver and Ft. Laramie. From there you can threaten the Great Lakes region, i.e. Milwaukee and Chicago. Depots must be built of course and reinforcements brought to hold the depots. Its hard for the union to get a lot of troops in the area in a timely manner without having to sacrifice other areas.
However if the Union can get troops in front of you in large enough numbers this will stop you cold since your troops will be tired from the long march.

Against AI or human player ?

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”