bloodybucket
Sergeant

ACW on the board

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:52 am

AGEODs ACW is, of course, da bomb :coeurs: when it comes to PC ACW games...and one of the reasons I love it is that it looks and plays much like a boardgame!

I just recieved Renaud Verlaque's "The Price of Freedom", a strategic level ACW boardgame. It covers the whole war in eight turns(!) and is supposed to be playable in about three hours...I'm excited to give it a whirl.

I used to be a big fan of Victory Games "The Civil War", and played the SPI Blue and Gray quads. My first ACW boardgame was probably the old Milton Bradley American Heritage "Battle Cry", not very historical but I loved the blue and gray figures! The much more recent "Battle Cry" by Richard Borg for Avalon Hill (as absorbed by Hasbro) was enjoyable.

Do any other AGEOD fans play, or used to play, ACW boardgames? :p apy:

Ian Coote
Major

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 am

Hi bloodybucket,I have around about 25 to 30 board games on the American Civil war.The first one I bought was Avlon Hills Gettysburg back in the the 1960's.My favourites were Victory games Civil War and Richard Bergs Terrible Swift Sword.Don't play them anymore though,only PC games now.In fact I'm in the process of giving them to my son to sell on Ebay,told him whatever he makes he can keep,not expecting much though.

Le Ricain

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:13 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Hi bloodybucket,I have around about 25 to 30 board games on the American Civil war.The first one I bought was Avlon Hills Gettysburg back in the the 1960's.My favourites were Victory games Civil War and Richard Bergs Terrible Swift Sword.Don't play them anymore though,only PC games now.In fact I'm in the process of giving them to my son to sell on Ebay,told him whatever he makes he can keep,not expecting much though.

I also started with AH's Gettysburg and agree with you that VG's Civil War and TSS were classics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

bloodybucket
Sergeant

Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Ian Coote wrote:...not expecting much though.

Punched copies of "Terrible Swift Sword" go for about $40-50 on Ebay, and depending on the condition and title, the others should go for a like amount.

type7
Sergeant

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:55 pm

I got Price of Freedom late last week and can't put it away. It is a beautiful game and the rule system simulates the war very well. Highly recommend it.

It's sort of like AACW in that it's deceptively simple, but there is a lot going on right under the surface. You really have to pay attention to generals and supply in both.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:52 pm

AH Gettysburg was a good one...

For the people is a good game! I like it especially, card events gie you a good, fast and easy understanding of the war. The card -board WWI and WWII games are also very good as game-teachers!

I believe these games should be played at all schools in the World to easily learn the History...

The Civil WAR Victory games.... A VERY GOOD strategy game... leaders "hidden" until your first use was a pretty trick.

Thunder at The Crossroads was the single Battle game I ve enjoyed the most in life with around 5 6 players, perhaps 15 years ago. The grand campaign project here as remembered me of it!

Dadaan
Corporal

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Eagle Games had one "The American Civil War", but they stopped making it about 4 years ago. I'm hooked on it, but can rarely find an opponent nowadays.
[color="Blue"]The Few, The Proud[/color]
[color="Red"]Semper Fidelis[/color]

CWNut77
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 pm

I own both AH's Gettysburg and VG's Civil War. I worship the latter and think that AACW has a lot of that game's elements included within.

I also own a couple more CW board games, though I can't think of their names off the top of my head.

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 pm

Coregonas wrote:AH Gettysburg was a good one...

For the people is a good game! I like it especially, card events gie you a good, fast and easy understanding of the war. The card -board WWI and WWII games are also very good as game-teachers!

I believe these games should be played at all schools in the World to easily learn the History...

The Civil WAR Victory games.... A VERY GOOD strategy game... leaders "hidden" until your first use was a pretty trick.

Thunder at The Crossroads was the single Battle game I ve enjoyed the most in life with around 5 6 players, perhaps 15 years ago. The grand campaign project here as remembered me of it!

Unfortunately it just would not happen in the politically correct asylums we now call schools today. When I was raised we used to have a games night every week at my primary school - these things just dont happen anymore.
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Jabberwock

Mon May 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Brochgale wrote:Unfortunately it just would not happen in the politically correct asylums we now call schools today. When I was raised we used to have a games night every week at my primary school - these things just dont happen anymore.

We had an after-hours Machiavelli (AH - 1st edition) club at my high school once a week for a couple months (until some remedial case tipped the board). Very politically incorrect. That's one I'd like to see properly redone for the PC.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

TheDoctorKing

Gaming in schools

Thu May 22, 2008 5:14 am

Brochgale wrote:Unfortunately it just would not happen in the politically correct asylums we now call schools today. When I was raised we used to have a games night every week at my primary school - these things just dont happen anymore.

I have used PC games in classes. I used Paradox's Europa Universalis in a Western Civ class -- went over well -- and I tried their Hearts of Iron 2 but it was just too complex. I think I'll use AACW the next time I teach ACW, in a couple of years. Hope it's still in print (or v 2.0?).

Board games: international relations classes at a local public high school used Diplomacy a few years back while I was teaching at a community college. I had some of their grads in my class and they told me about it. While I was a grad student I was involved in creating a role-playing/card game of early America for use in a local elementary school. It ended up in a nationally-marketed elementary social studies curriculum called Roots and Wings. I liked it a lot. So even in today's asylums we still are interested in simulations and helping people learn any way that will work for them.

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 am

We bought AH's Gettysburg when it first came out. Back then, we had every AH title except the hex version of AH's Chancellorsville. Never could find that one anywhere. :(

Back in those days, when we tired of the limited range of AH games and grew impatient with their too leisurely new release schedule, B&L in one hand and shirt laundry cardboard in the other, we made our own games!
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Thu May 22, 2008 4:55 pm

TheDoctorKing wrote:I have used PC games in classes. I used Paradox's Europa Universalis in a Western Civ class -- went over well -- and I tried their Hearts of Iron 2 but it was just too complex. I think I'll use AACW the next time I teach ACW, in a couple of years. Hope it's still in print (or v 2.0?).

Board games: international relations classes at a local public high school used Diplomacy a few years back while I was teaching at a community college. I had some of their grads in my class and they told me about it. While I was a grad student I was involved in creating a role-playing/card game of early America for use in a local elementary school. It ended up in a nationally-marketed elementary social studies curriculum called Roots and Wings. I liked it a lot. So even in today's asylums we still are interested in simulations and helping people learn any way that will work for them.

Unfortunately today no teachers or adults will supervise or are willing to supervise. It is not just the politically corect culture that dominates Scottish Schools these days it is low morale amongst teaching proffession - teachers cant be bothered doing any extra curricular activity and adults need police clearance to supervise children.

Here the prevailing culture is that education under no circumstances is allowed to be fun - ever?

Perhaps the American experience is somewhat different?
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"

W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”