Mickey3D

Last Chance for Victory

Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 pm

Some times ago MMP has delivered a wargame on Gettysburg battle.

This game is part of a series on the civil war battles and has a specific rulebook where the game designer is explaining some of the choices he made : I was surprised by the sheer amount of research he made on Lee, Longstreet and Ewell performance in the battle ("Historical notes" from page 9 to 21).

I share this document with you for your curiosity and because I think its conclusion is not following the main stream...

[ATTACH]31133[/ATTACH]
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks for that, I wish I hadn't drawn Longstreet in the 'What General are You?' quiz :)

S!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:11 am

It is a rather impressive document. I didn't see much I disagreed with. I've actually contemplated picking up my first boardgame to play with some buddies, but 180$ is too steep for me. I haven't even bought AACW2 yet! I'll be changing that here in a month or so now that work is finally letting up.

khbynum
Major

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:06 am

Do you really mean your first boardgame? I stopped playing boardgames when I started needing a magnifier to read the counters in Advanced Squad Leader. :cool: And yes, 180$ is a bit steep, but it's even more of a niche market than computer wargames. You don't get too old to play games, but you will get old if you stop.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:44 am

khbynum wrote:Do you really mean your first boardgame? I stopped playing boardgames when I started needing a magnifier to read the counters in Advanced Squad Leader. :cool: And yes, 180$ is a bit steep, but it's even more of a niche market than computer wargames. You don't get too old to play games, but you will get old if you stop.

I meant other than Risk or Axis and Allies. I know it's a niche market, but I can't justify paying much for a game that might only get played once or twice. After seeing how much research goes into it, I understand the price, I just can't pay it right now.

Mickey3D

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:34 am

Just to make it clear, my goal is not to have you buy the game (and 180$ is really a sum...) :)

It's just the analysis on the CSA main leaders performance that I find interesting.

Captain_Orso

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:20 pm

khbynum wrote:Do you really mean your first boardgame? I stopped playing boardgames when I started needing a magnifier to read the counters in Advanced Squad Leader. :cool: And yes, 180$ is a bit steep, but it's even more of a niche market than computer wargames. You don't get too old to play games, but you will get old if you stop.

So... um... are you up for a round of Gavin Take? Image

khbynum
Major

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I had to Google it. I could manage that, since there are no AFVs.

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”