Keeler
Captain

Mystery Artwork

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 am

Does anyone recognize this?

[ATTACH]26489[/ATTACH]

Here's what I know:

-I found this in a thrift store in southeastern Massachusetts in the mid-90s.
-There is no signature.
-It depicts Henry Morrow leading a charge of the 24th Michigan.
-The black hats in the foreground identify the men as belonging to Company A and display the red corps badges adopted in 1863.
-Based on what I know about the Iron Brigade, I am almost certain this depicts the fight between the Iron Brigade and Archer's Brigade on the first day of Gettysburg, and that the stream bed is Willoughby Run.
-In terms of subject, it is similar to paintingsby Dale Gallon and Don Troiani of the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg.
-It's not the original work and appears to be a print.
-The image is printed on a dark, heavy hardwood and is about 12 inches tall and 18 inches long. The wood is about an inch thick. Along the edges the wood has been roughly beveled. You can see this near the left corners.
-I've done Google images searches and checked E-Bay from time to time and never been able to find another copy of this.
-I've looked into Civil War contemporary and modern artists and haven't found anything that looks similar in style.
Attachments
WIN_20140125_135857.jpg

Ol' Choctaw

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm

The US Army had a collection of leadership artwork. Lithographs or prints, some by Currier & Ives.

It looks like a similar style. If they were commissioned by or painted by army artists I doubt there would be a sig.

You might try looking there.

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”