Gray_Lensman

Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:31 pm

deleted

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Thu May 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Great photos! Maybe I'll adopt a Hunley avatar for use on the Silent Hunter forum. ;)

Paul Roberts

Thu May 13, 2010 6:05 pm

I've been on that Gato, and the USS Alabama is in very nice shape for visiting. (My parents live in Fairhope, just across Mobile Bay.)

Here in Philadelphia you can go on board the Becuna (a Baleo-class sub) and the USS Olympia, a "white fleet" cruiser that fought at Manila Bay in 1898. Olympia is fascinating inside: the officers' cabins look like a fine hotel, while the sailors slept in hammocks strung near the guns.

Just across the Delaware you can visit the USS New Jersey. It's a very impressive ship, although it seems restored to a half-1940s, half-1980s state.

Spharv2

Thu May 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Shoot, I probably passed you on the way over there, I drive over to see my mother in Mobile fairly regularly. :) That is a pretty neat park to go to. There's a nice little Air Force museum in the Ft Walton Beach area too. Lots of military bases in that part of the country.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Doomwalker
Brigadier General

Thu May 13, 2010 6:40 pm

That is a great park. I took my wife down there, and she was hooked. I had to schedule trips to the USS North Carolina and Norfolk after that trip. She about flipped out when we went to see the carriers in Norfolk. The Nauticus museum is also outstanding. I just wished you could tour the USS Wisconsin like you can the USS Alabama, instead of just the deck tour. Great shots of the Hunley, Grey!
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]“We may be annihilated, but we cannot be conquered.”

- General Albert Sidney Johnston[/size][/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[CENTER][color="DarkGreen"]AGEod's American Civil War Wiki - [/color][color="DarkGreen"]AACWWiki[/color][/CENTER]

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Very interesting pictures as usual, Gray. ;)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”