Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Re: War of the Rebellion as a game name

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

As a Federal officer I'd of course love to see AACW2 named "War of the Rebellion", but I am afraid it would never do. Every Southern sympathizer would claim it ought to be called "War of Northern Aggression". :thumbsup:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:06 pm

BTW lest I seem to be making no sense, this was a reply to this thread, meanwhile closed. :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

MrT
Colonel

Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm

War of the Bearded Generals is a better name!

I mean 90% of these guys have some kind of handlebar mustache or beard!

slimey.rock
Major

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 pm

"AACW2: The war of Seccession" is neutral to both North and South. Plus, isn't that the name it's known by in France?

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 pm

slimey.rock wrote:"AACW2: The war of Seccession" is neutral to both North and South. Plus, isn't that the name it's known by in France?

And in Germany too. "Sezessionskrieg". Although "Bürgerkrieg" (Civil War) is gaining in popularity as the Anglicization progresses. ;)

arsan

Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:06 pm

And in spain! :)
"War of the rebellion" reminds me too much to... Star Wars :blink: :D

Brochgale
Brigadier General

Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 pm

MrT wrote:War of the Bearded Generals is a better name!

I mean 90% of these guys have some kind of handlebar mustache or beard!

I like it :mdr: :thumbsup:
"How noble is one, to love his country:how sad the fate to mingle with those you hate"
W.A.Fletcher "Memoirs Of A Confederate Soldier"

Gray_Lensman

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 pm

deleted

cobraII
Captain

Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 pm

I dont know how if war of the rebellion would draw as wide of people, just because most younger people when they learn about it in high school here American civil war, but I go with any name.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

dublish
Corporal

Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:02 am

Gray_Lensman wrote:The reason I agreed with Franciscus about the possible title was if you know anything at all about informational sources for the Civil War the absolute best and most accurate source is known as

The War of the Rebellion "Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies"

Here's a link to an online source of this huge 128+ volume work:
http://digital.library.cornell.edu/m/moawar/waro.html

The problem is that the Official Records were compiled in the 1860s and 1870s, but after that period, nobody referred to the war as the "War of the Rebellion". All those Southern Lost Cause nuts called (and occasionally still call) it the War of Northern Aggression, but there's no such advocation in the old North- it's just the "Civil War" or, for our friends across the borders/oceans, the "American Civil War". For what it's worth, I prefer "War of Secession".

Colonel Dreux
Major

Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:09 am

The Brothers' War

War Between the States

AACW2: Brother Against Brother
Oh my God, lay me down!

Carnium

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:19 pm

A House Divided
Billy Yank vs Johnny Reb

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:04 pm

Colonel Dreux wrote:War Between the States

Well, War between the States has about as much Southern bias as War of the Rebellion has Northern bias. (The war was about state rights and all that.)

I truly love "A House Divided", but of course it's a Lincoln quote, so again ... :bonk:

I suppose The American Civil War still says it all.

Re War of the Rebellion, Gray: Of course, the OR were called that. But then they were also published by the victorious North. :siffle:

Mangudai
Lieutenant

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:31 am

The War of Southern Aggression
:)

Colonel Dreux
Major

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:Well, War between the States has about as much Southern bias as War of the Rebellion has Northern bias. (The war was about state rights and all that.)

I truly love "A House Divided", but of course it's a Lincoln quote, so again ... :bonk:

I suppose The American Civil War still says it all.

Re War of the Rebellion, Gray: Of course, the OR were called that. But then they were also published by the victorious North. :siffle:

Interesting take on the War Between the States. I've always thought of it as a rather neutral take on the war, since it was a war between the states, slave state versus free state, North versus South, etc...

I see how it can be seen as "pro-Southern", but I've always viewed it in a more neutral way. My slow mind at work probably. :)
Oh my God, lay me down!

Greybriar
Corporal

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 pm

Neither The War of the Rebellion nor The War of Northern Aggression would be suitable, as has already been noted. The former is a Northern term and the latter is a Southern term. I was going to suggest Lincoln's War until I discovered there was a book by that name.

The Civil War and The War between the States have been done to death. Something less common is what is needed in my opinion. According to Wikipedia, "War of Secession is the common way of referring to the war in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Polish and Portuguese," as well as being used in the South.

A couple of other names less commonly encountered would be The War for Southern Independence and Charles Beard's term The Second American Revolution. I rather liked the title Brother against Brother mentioned, but that isn't very original. Neither is The Blue and the Gray.

And that's my two cents' worth.
Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. --Calvin Coolidge

Carnium

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:59 pm

How about Divided Brothers ?
This is fairly neutral and would point to the fact that there were really some instances where families (i.e. brothers) were divided and that people from North and South were not really THAT different (same "nation", religion, past history etc)

arsan

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:06 pm

Veterans may remember it, but probably newer members don't know about... :)

When ACW was in development (2006/2007), the planed name for the game was
"American Civil War: Our Hearts were touched by fire"

Taken from a famous Oliver Wendell speech (at Gettysburg battlefield on an anniversary of the battle IIRC :bonk :)

"Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing. While we are permitted to scorn nothing but indifference, and do not pretend to undervalue the worldly rewards of ambition, we have seen with our own eyes, beyond and above the gold fields, the snowy heights of honor, and it is for us to bear the report to those who come after us."

The name was cool... but probably too long and poetic for a wargame :D

In any case, the best name for ACW2 IMHO would be... ACW2 :wacko:
Not too original, but descriptive enough! :D

lodilefty

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:18 pm

I like some Catton, Sharra or Foote quotes and titles:

Killer Angels
Gods and Generals
Last Full Measure
Glory Road
Never Call Retreat
This Hallowed Ground
Terrible Swift Sword
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Big Ideas
Captain

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:37 pm

There is already a board game called: "War Between the States."

Also weren't the Wars of Succession in Europe mainly caused by the death of a monarch who had no clear line of linearage to an heir (acceptable heir) and another party's attempt to seize power under dubious conditions or a long lost relative? While the ACW was a rebellion.

My favourite title is: AACW2: The South's Chance to do it Right.

arsan

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Big Ideas wrote:There is already a board game called: "War Between the States."

Also weren't the Wars of Succession in Europe mainly caused by the death of a monarch who had no clear line of linearage to an heir (acceptable heir) and another party's attempt to seize power under dubious conditions or a long lost relative? While the ACW was a rebellion.

My favourite title is: AACW2: The South's Chance to do it Right.

There is also a recent (and supposedly very nice) PC game with the same name: Gary Grigsby's War Between the states.

On the other side, you are mixing two concepts: Seccesion (means separation) with Succesion (a war to see who is the successor or a king or emperor). :)

Colonel Dreux
Major

Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:04 pm

arsan wrote:Veterans may remember it, but probably newer members don't know about... :)

Taken from a famous Oliver Wendell speech (at Gettysburg battlefield on an anniversary of the battle IIRC :bonk :)

"Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing. While we are permitted to scorn nothing but indifference, and do not pretend to undervalue the worldly rewards of ambition, we have seen with our own eyes, beyond and above the gold fields, the snowy heights of honor, and it is for us to bear the report to those who come after us."

Very cool idea... but, yeah, too obscure.
Oh my God, lay me down!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Acw

Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:54 pm

As a Southerner, I have heard many and various terms for the Civil War. My Southern family and friends simply call it: "The War!" Everyone know immediatly to what is being referred!! As to what you Euros want to call it: Go for it guys and know that we Southenors don't give a darn what you call it!! t

Carnium

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 pm

tagwyn wrote:As to what you Euros want to call it: Go for it guys and know that we Southenors don't give a darn what you call it!! t

This kinda reminds me of this:

:D

Le Ricain

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm

arsan wrote:Veterans may remember it, but probably newer members don't know about... :)

I always thought that the original title of AACW was in fact too short. I supported: 'In our Youth our Hearts were Touched with Fire'. The phrase has a nice ring to it. However, nothing came of my idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

slimey.rock
Major

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 pm

lodilefty wrote:I like some Catton, Sharra or Foote quotes and titles:

Killer Angels
Gods and Generals
Last Full Measure
Glory Road
Never Call Retreat
This Hallowed Ground
Terrible Swift Sword

Those sound like good scenario names to me. :)

LSSpam
Sergeant

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 pm

"A House Divided" would probably be the most marketable name possible outside of something involving "Civil War".

Greybriar
Corporal

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:11 am

Unfortunately many of the suggested names in this thread are probably copyrighted since they are already used for a book, movie, another game, etc.
Press on. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. --Calvin Coolidge

Gray_Lensman

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:12 am

deleted

cptcav
Lieutenant

Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:As a Federal officer I'd of course love to see AACW2 named "War of the Rebellion", but I am afraid it would never do. Every Southern sympathizer would claim it ought to be called "War of Northern Aggression". :thumbsup:

Southerner's are not offended by calling it the War of the Rebellion. In fact, the Southerners of back then were very proud to be called Rebels; after all, that was what their grandfathers were called in the American Revolution.

So, while the Northerner looks at it as a derogatory term, the Southerner takes pride in it. They were rebelling against the wrong direction that the Northerners were taking the country - federalism (moral issues aside).

Regards,
CptCav
Born Texan, Texan till I die!

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”