bschulte
Lieutenant

Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:21 pm

I’m going to try something different with my book reviews, because they usually do not produce any kind of discussion on Civil War forums, which is the opposite of what I want. Instead of posting the whole review, I’ll link to the blog entry at TOCWOC, give you my short and sweet thoughts, and hopefully some discussion will ensue.

Link: Review: Southern Storm: Sherman’s March to the Sea at TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog

I thought Andy Trudeau’s book was an interesting read, and I especially appreciated the number of maps included in the book. It did seem to drag on in places, mostly because I think he included too many first person accounts. I especially enjoyed Trudeau’s look at how Sherman planned the campaign and his extremely careful preparations. Sherman prepared so well, in fact, that his march to the Georgia capital at Milledgeville went almost entirely to plan. Trudeau highlights the contributions of Orlando Poe and the engineers under his command who helped Sherman’s army bridge the numerous streams and rivers they had to cross while marching to Savannah. I do not consider this to be any kind of definitive account, but it will certainly appeal to a wide range of readers, even those not specifically interested in the Civil War.

If you’ve read the book, I want to read what you think. If you disagree with me, I want to read what you think. If you have something to add about the book, by all means add it. :)

Return to “ACW History Club / Histoire de la Guerre de Sécession”