solnegro
Conscript

Official petition (and you ppl sign it)

Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:45 pm

Well, the game is amazing, and I will ask the company to make a little effort:
make a WWI game, pleazzzze.

There are not a single decent WWI game AFAIK, and it was a crucial point in history!!!

The same engine, the same basics, I supose both wars have a lot in common: was the first and the last of the wars of massive armies and no mobility (previously, till Napoleon, cavalry could -and did- storm and define battles ; after since WWII, tanks make the same at tactical and strategical level) ; both was wars defined by industrial capacity and manpower exhaustion... oh, you know what i'm talking about

Maybe only a little care for naval warfare, as naval blockade an counter-blockade was critical for Germany and for England (so both sides can figth aggresive in this matter) possible using sea zones more than abstract blockade panels.

I can imagine lots of interesting scenarios, main campaign, fachoda war (a few years before the war, UK and France almost figth each other), the balcans wars (there were two), the russian civil war (with commies, zarists, ukranian, poles and others, much of the time figthing more than one enemy, id est: a 3 -matbe more- sides war!!!!)...

...and the events!!! Spain entering the war, Italy fighting the other side (they were previously allied with Geramany and Austria), Greece entering for any side (they barely mantein neutrality) and who know what else...

Please do that. Do that quickly.

I swear it will be a commercial succes, simply cause this game (ACW) is very good, and putting the mechanic in an unexploited issue must work.

arsan

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:00 pm

The next BIG game of AGEod, Vainglory of Nations will cover from the 1820s to the 1920s (more or less) so it will have all you ask an a ton more!! :coeurs:
And all this in a map that covers the whole world, and with an improved and expanded game engine which will include dipomacy, commerce, production and what not!! :nuts:

Rafiki

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:06 pm

For a closer look, solnegro, go here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=2566
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Ian Coote
Major

Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Guns of August is a pretty good WW1 game,captures the flavour of the conflict and plays very well.There's some pretty good mods for it too.

PhilThib

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:16 pm

solnegro wrote:Well, the game is amazing, and I will ask the company to make a little effort:

There are not a single decent WWI game AFAIK, and it was a crucial point in history!!!

You may be surprised in the next future :niark: ...how next is the key, but without betraying a secret, we are aware of something coming...maybe [color="DarkRed"]before the leaves fall[/color]... :sourcil:

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 pm

Paths of glory is a very beautiful card-board-game, fast & easy to play, and very helpful in giving a quick history class to every one.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Home before the leaves fall would certainly make a great title...

Et le pantalon rouge, c'est la France!

sabreman
Conscript

Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Guns of August is a pretty good WW1 game,captures the flavour of the conflict and plays very well.There's some pretty good mods for it too.

I'll second that. I have had it for a few months now and it is well designed and solid in it's game play.

kcole4001
Corporal

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:34 pm

Another vote for Guns of August.

solnegro
Conscript

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 pm

First of all, I'll go and look into VoN.

----------------------------------------

Mmmm... that "Guns of August" sounds good, starting for the poetic name, but the problem is that I have not seen it for this part of the world. One non pleasant (but non severe) disadventage on living in an undeveloped country is that all the cultural life is very diminished.

(I really feel that my english failed above, but I hope you understand)

Acording to ppl whose opinion I really apreciate, an according to my short experience too, we have less books of less authors, we can hear less singers/bands, we have less movies for buy, and, for example, ppl who like playing rol have really hard times trying to go a little far from D&D.

Things are not so bad in Buenos Aires and the surrounding area (id est, the central atlantic zone of Argentina, an my little Uruguay) which is pushing for beeing a great cosmopolite city but now I'm living in Colombia, and I tell you...
...better I dont tell you.

---------------------------------------------

I've played two great oldgames:

The first is "Fields of Battle", a WWI simulation of the early 90's I supose ; is funny, simple to learn-difficult to play, and fast, you can begin a game and finish it in one or two days, decent AI and you can play it in"hot seat" (but I only could play that way aganist my ex :p leure: )

The other is "Imperialism" - really good and you forget that it have more than 10 years, a very good game maybe for starting into complex strategic games. In some way I supose "Imperialism" is the grandpa of Victoria, as crucial concepts of the game are used-->industrial developemente, railroad connection for exploiting useful resources, education of workforce, etc, etc.

I recomend both, but dont know if they will run on XP-Vista, I play them on 98.

Jabberwock

Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 pm

Imperialism was a great game for its time. I'm really looking forward to VoN.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

lord_st_spirit
Conscript

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Jabberwock wrote:Imperialism was a great game for its time. I'm really looking forward to VoN.

Yes, Imperialism was great !!! As I don't know "Guns of August", I'll look at it.

But, in fact, I'll wait VoN and hope it'll be available soon and it'll offer long campaigns, especially for WWI !

Pocus

Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 pm

As long as you have internet solnegro, you are on the right place on the world you know... It is now easy to find buddies for a good PBEM wargame (I recommend you warmly Gary Grigsby World at War for a WW2 game for example, but AACW is not bad too :) ). If you really want to RPG, you can log onto a NWN2 (NWN1) role-play server, not as good as pen & paper RPG, but still quite a things.

Back to Vainglory... It will not be solely focused on warfare, but you should get plenty of it though, with dedicated campaigns (Crimean War, World War I, even perhaps A 2nd Boer War Campaign). Where (we hope) the game will shine, is that this will be the first AGEOD game protraying a full economic and commerce module (plus a complete production & diplomacy module). But there is still much work ahead, although I have a very good feeling of the outcome, I sense it will be a great game: the design pieces all are falling nicely together and it is good tiding, in my humble opinion.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ethy
Sergeant

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:01 pm

solnegro wrote:Well, the game is amazing, and I will ask the company to make a little effort:

The same engine, the same basics, I supose both wars have a lot in common: was the first and the last of the wars of massive armies and no mobility (previously, till Napoleon, cavalry could -and did- storm and define battles ; after since WWII, tanks make the same at tactical and strategical level) ; both was wars defined by industrial capacity and manpower exhaustion... oh, you know what i'm talking about

Maybe only a little care for naval warfare, as naval blockade an counter-blockade was critical for Germany and for England (so both sides can figth aggresive in this matter) possible using sea zones more than abstract blockade panels.

I can imagine lots of interesting scenarios, main campaign, fachoda war (a few years before the war, UK and France almost figth each other), the balcans wars (there were two), the russian civil war (with commies, zarists, ukranian, poles and others, much of the time figthing more than one enemy, id est: a 3 -matbe more- sides war!!!!)...

...and the events!!! Spain entering the war, Italy fighting the other side (they were previously allied with Geramany and Austria), Greece entering for any side (they barely mantein neutrality) and who know what else...

Please do that. Do that quickly.

I swear it will be a commercial succes, simply cause this game (ACW) is very good, and putting the mechanic in an unexploited issue must work.

you have a point there, it would be nice to see a WW1 game with the same game engine as american civil war, however such a game would require a lot more micro management.

such examples would be

1. great britain has to send its reinforcements over the channel creating a repetative aspect to recruitment and transport
2. the game would involve a lot more politcal aspects
3. the game would have to envolve atleast 9 empires great britain, france, belgium (if not encorperated into the french army) usa, russia, germany, austria hungary, turkey, italy, serbia, greece. in this respect the amount of memory and time it would take for 1 turn to develop would be enormous.
5.every major city and town and in some cases tiny vilages would have to be encorperated on the map. it would be such a long and tediuos game that people will get bored very quickly
4. there is a reason why the war saw so many casualties, the fact that every inch of soil was fought over and advances hardly saw over 20 miles in a week.

so in general the game would be very large and take even more time that american civil war...

however a good idea i thought myself not so long ago would be to create a game much more for the british market.

THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR! the game would run much like american civil war only in england. having instead the USA and CSA it would be the Royalists and the parlimentarians (Roundheads) the different states in american civil war would translate into the british counties such as the likes of kent, essex, sussex, cheshire, yorkshire etc etc.

the game would also behold some of the great character generals of the war such as oliver cromwell the well known cambridgeshire cavalry commander and future politician/ primeminister after the war ended who in many respects won the war for the parlimentarians.

just emagine recreating the great battle of nasbey or the legendary siege of colchester! i think it could sell... wat are your thoughts?

arsan

Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:56 pm

Hmmm i think that, outside Britain, the English civil war is a subject muuuuch less known than the ACW, the Napoleonic Era or even the American Independence war.
I love history but about the ECW i only know that there was one, the name of Cromwell (because of the film) and that some people get their head cut off :siffle:
I don't say it can't be interesting, but i doubt it would be a big seller. :p leure:

If you take other not very popular topics like the 30 Years War or the Seven years war, at least you have a bunch of countries that participated. With the ECW only potential buyers from one country would have some "emotional" attachment with the subject.

Just my 2 cents :innocent:

Rafiki

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:18 pm

There's been a civil war in Britain? :8o:

;)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

kcole4001
Corporal

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:38 am

Here's a link to Guns of August:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=331

A fun game.
I've also played Imperialism II off and on for years now. It's one of those games that never really grows old. I still enjoy it from time to time.

Today's strategy games are getting better all the time. Some designers know that it's not flashy graphics that make a good game, but replay value.
That's what really counts to true classic games.
I believe AACW IS one of those, as is GoA.

Wilhammer
Captain

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:32 pm

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5410

You may want to note who the designer of this board game is...

sabreman
Conscript

Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 am

Rafiki wrote:There's been a civil war in Britain? :8o:

;)

Hard to believe isn't it, we are such a peaceful island :innocent:

Ethy wrote:THE ENGLISH CIVIL WAR! the game would run much like american civil war only in england. having instead the USA and CSA it would be the Royalists and the parlimentarians (Roundheads) the different states in american civil war would translate into the british counties such as the likes of kent, essex, sussex, cheshire, yorkshire etc etc.

the game would also behold some of the great character generals of the war such as oliver cromwell the well known cambridgeshire cavalry commander and future politician/ primeminister after the war ended who in many respects won the war for the parlimentarians.

just emagine recreating the great battle of nasbey or the legendary siege of colchester! i think it could sell... wat are your thoughts?

Cromwell was actually named Lord Protector, though I think he tried to destroy more things than he tried to protect :tournepas

The Civil War would be an interesting subject and I cannot really think of any other games that do cover that period.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:28 am

I can't think of any computer games on the English Civil War.

But there are a couple of board wargames -- the best known is David Isby's King's War over at Clash of Arms. There was another one about ten years ago (can't remember the name) that included all of Ireland and Scotland.

The English Civil War was critically important to the development of Anglo-Saxon political institutions. There was even a spill-over effect to the American colonies, and some have suggested that you can't really understand the origins of the development of American political consciousness if you ignore what was happening in England during that period -- the political relationship between King and Parliament as well as the social and religious ramifications.

The really fascinating things that went on were taking place at the level of cultural, religious, and political history, and that kind of thing isn't a favorite subject for wargames. But an Irish revolt, a campaign or two in Scotland, several rounds of war in England, and an intervention on the continent ( the Battle of the Dunes -- with or without the Thirty Years War going on in the background) can lead to some pretty exciting stuff. When they stopped talking and preaching and actually got around to marching and fighting, some of those campaigns were pretty wild.

I especially love the apocryphal story about how the war ended -- two English armies circling each other for a fight, and one night over Port and Stilton somebody asks if anybody could remember what the war was about, and when nobody could they send a messenger to the other side asking the same question, and get the same answer.

The Thirty Years War, by the way, is a great topic, teaches you how to spell defenestration, and everybody has heard of it. And it has Richelieu and D'Artagnan.

Rafiki

Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:51 am

BTW, this has very little to do with AACW, so lets give it a new home where it really belongs :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Jabberwock

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Philippe wrote:The English Civil War was critically important to the development of Anglo-Saxon political institutions. There was even a spill-over effect to the American colonies, and some have suggested that you can't really understand the origins of the development of American political consciousness if you ignore what was happening in England during that period -- the political relationship between King and Parliament as well as the social and religious ramifications.

I believe quite a few Cavaliers (Royalists) emigrated to South Carolina and Virginia. Much of southern culture and society derived from this (AFAIK).

Le Ricain

Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:23 pm

Jabberwock wrote:I believe quite a few Cavaliers (Royalists) emigrated to South Carolina and Virginia. Much of southern culture and society derived from this (AFAIK).

One fact that is often overlooked is that the last battle of the ECW was fought in America. On the 25th of March, 1655, a Maryland Puritan force commanded by William Fuller defeated a Maryland Royalist force commanded by Richard Stone at the battle of Great Severn, Maryland.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'Nous voilà, Lafayette'

Colonel C.E. Stanton, aide to A.E.F. commander John 'Black Jack' Pershing, upon the landing of the first US troops in France 1917

Ethy
Sergeant

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:38 pm

yes well i think we can kinda agree on two major things

1. however great the aspect of having a WW1 based game much like AACW it wouldnt nessiserily work on a basic scale.

2. the makers of AACW etc probebly wont be interested financialy atleast on creating a english civil war based game.

Ethy
Sergeant

Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 pm

Rafiki wrote:There's been a civil war in Britain? :8o:

;)

indeed there has...

Jabberwock

Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:04 am

Ethy wrote:yes well i think we can kinda agree on two major things

1. however great the aspect of having a WW1 based game much like AACW it wouldnt nessiserily work on a basic scale.

2. the makers of AACW etc probebly wont be interested financialy atleast on creating a english civil war based game.

I disagree with the second.

MarkShot

Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:52 am

I haven't really played GOA, but have the game and looked at the system extensively. Those who have it do seem to feel that the AI does a decent job.

However, graphically, the game is not nearly as appealing as the ones we have put out thus far. Additionally, the UI is lot less intuitive. Turns are broken into a series of complex sub phases which aren't as clear as the simple ORDERS|EXECUTION cycle of the AGE engine.

The thing perhaps most intriguing about GOA is what Frank Hunter has done with command points being needed for offensives. It closely ties resource accumulation and forward planning with preparations for offense and subsequent momentum of the attack. It was nicely architected such that the player really feels the challenge of keeping an offensive rolling.

The game is mainly a focus on ground combat and air/naval are largely abstracted. I think this was a wise choice, since the HOI series has shown that it is difficult to create a game which plays well were different forms of combat have different levels of granularity.

Finally, Frank attempted something rather unique to improve replayability. He saves a certain number of game results in a cache where the engine can know that it has fallen victim to a particular ploy repeatedly. Thus, the engine can alter its behavior (by weighting different choices) based on past player tendencies. This is supposed to help the game from getting old. Although I haven't seen enough feedback from players to determine just how effective this adaptive approach is.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:30 am

The mass markets are a funny place.

They generally lack imagination, so if you're going to try to get someone to commit capital you have to be a slave to an exhausted formula, which, because it's exhausted, generally doesn't produce that good a rate of return.

Every now and again someone doesn't play lemming and produce the umpteenth-thousandth iteration of a WWII RTS game. Very often that game will do better than it desrerves because of the sheer novelty.

Obviously you can't produce a lot of games on obscure subjects and expect to stay in business. But let's take the English Civil War. How do you sell it? It obviously will need a bit more special handling in the packaging department to get it off the ground. So what to do?

Well, the English Civil War has got a couple of things going for it:

1) Novelty. It's an unusual subject, and there are a lot of idiots out there who will buy things just because they're new.

2) Religion. If ever there was a game that could be designed to appeal to the Fundamentalist crowd, this is it. And if you do it properly, you don't have to do anything cute, or dumb anything down. Part of what the English Civil War was about was one segment of the population trying to impose their religious views by force on everyone else. This is the game where the Puritans get to go on a serious rampage.

3) John Milton. Not the bass player from the indie heavy metal band, but the guy who used to closet himself with Oliver C to write poetry that would move men's hearts. In more modern times it was called agit-prop. But the point is you can litter the game with quotes from Paradise Lost and the King James Bible and it will be perfectly appropriate and in keeping with the period.

4) Sex. Those Puritans were really repressed, so they'd get a little crazy when it was time to cut loose. But that's nothing -- take a look at some of the portraits of the Royal Mistresses: they wore things in their official portraits that would get them arrested on the streets of New York.

5) Cute puppies. I'm not kidding -- check out the dogs in all those boring Van Dyck paintings, and half of them are Cavalier King Charles. Named, of course, after this period. The English are nuts about their pets, and always get them painted into their portaits.

8) Great art. The key here is to keep it as close to the original as possible. A painting of Nell Gwyn as Diana, the Virgin Huntress would make great box cover art, and would go a long ways towards getting sixteen-year olds to buy the game even if they didn't know how to read.

9) Lots of superfluous and gratuitous random violence. That's why they eventually called the whole thing off.

Play your cards right on this one and they'll be selling it at the National Gallery and the Tate. And you'll have made computer game history, in several different categories at once.

Ethy
Sergeant

Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:15 pm

Philippe wrote:The mass markets are a funny place.

They generally lack imagination, so if you're going to try to get someone to commit capital you have to be a slave to an exhausted formula, which, because it's exhausted, generally doesn't produce that good a rate of return.

Every now and again someone doesn't play lemming and produce the umpteenth-thousandth iteration of a WWII RTS game. Very often that game will do better than it desrerves because of the sheer novelty.

Obviously you can't produce a lot of games on obscure subjects and expect to stay in business. But let's take the English Civil War. How do you sell it? It obviously will need a bit more special handling in the packaging department to get it off the ground. So what to do?

Well, the English Civil War has got a couple of things going for it:

1) Novelty. It's an unusual subject, and there are a lot of idiots out there who will buy things just because they're new.

2) Religion. If ever there was a game that could be designed to appeal to the Fundamentalist crowd, this is it. And if you do it properly, you don't have to do anything cute, or dumb anything down. Part of what the English Civil War was about was one segment of the population trying to impose their religious views by force on everyone else. This is the game where the Puritans get to go on a serious rampage.

3) John Milton. Not the bass player from the indie heavy metal band, but the guy who used to closet himself with Oliver C to write poetry that would move men's hearts. In more modern times it was called agit-prop. But the point is you can litter the game with quotes from Paradise Lost and the King James Bible and it will be perfectly appropriate and in keeping with the period.

4) Sex. Those Puritans were really repressed, so they'd get a little crazy when it was time to cut loose. But that's nothing -- take a look at some of the portraits of the Royal Mistresses: they wore things in their official portraits that would get them arrested on the streets of New York.

5) Cute puppies. I'm not kidding -- check out the dogs in all those boring Van Dyck paintings, and half of them are Cavalier King Charles. Named, of course, after this period. The English are nuts about their pets, and always get them painted into their portaits.

8) Great art. The key here is to keep it as close to the original as possible. A painting of Nell Gwyn as Diana, the Virgin Huntress would make great box cover art, and would go a long ways towards getting sixteen-year olds to buy the game even if they didn't know how to read.

9) Lots of superfluous and gratuitous random violence. That's why they eventually called the whole thing off.

Play your cards right on this one and they'll be selling it at the National Gallery and the Tate. And you'll have made computer game history, in several different categories at once.

interesting theories there...

i see this paticular thread by my comment has caused its origional title to be over looked a little bit. so i guess i should be sorry for one thing that i distracted people from signing the petition. on the other hand glad that some people out there feel that the english civil war is far interesting than it sounds and that a game much like AACW would be a good seller.

looks like my comments will get noticed on these forums... i look forward to creating more controversy and debate :)

Return to “General discussions”