What are your habits and intents, regarding AGEOD's games

I have bought most or all of their games and plan to buy all the others whatever the subject. (!)
14%
I have bought most or all of their games and plan to buy every game with an interesting subject.
31%
I have bought most or all of their games but will slow down in the future.
2%
I have bought some of their games and plan to continue doing that regularly.
15%
I have bought some of their games but will now buy only the most interesting from them.
7%
I have bought some of their games but will now be very picky about the nexts.
2%
I have bought some of their games but will stop buying them in the future.
0%
I discovered & bought 1 AGEOD game recently, and plan to buy most of their games in the future.
7%
I discovered/bought 1 AGEOD game recently, and plan to buy some (depend on subject) in the future.
18%
I discovered/bought 1 AGEOD game recently but this is enough for me.
1%
I don't own AGEOD games, but plan to do so in the near future.
3%
I don't own AGEOD games and this is not going to change anytime soon.
No votes

Total votes: 284
keith
Sergeant

Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:40 pm

I have acw and love the game, ncp sounds interestin but would like a long campaign with army building facilities before i would buy,
will buy vainglory, as for ageod's future games i would hope they can avoid ww2, it has been done to death,

overall i think ageod are a great little game company with fantastic games and great support through their forums, keep up the good work

keith

type7
Sergeant

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:42 pm

I have BOA + AACW. I'm not really interested in NCP because of the subject. I'm not sure about buying BOA:WIA yet. I'll have to read something that jumps out at me as being a huge improvement over the first. Any AGEOD release will be on my radar as a possible purchase, just depends on subject matter mostly.

Pocus

Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:46 am

With AGEOD games, are you playing PBEM, type7?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:03 am

Pocus,

For me its only ever PBEM. Computer AI's dont cut it IMO. Also I'm one player at least who is only interested in full campaigns. Thus I have ACCW and enjoy it tremendously but I've steered away from NCP because it has no overarching campaign feature, even though its my favoured period.

In the same way I shall not purchase VGN if it does not have a full campaign mode. Just my preferences.

I love the company.....its the product I sometimes regret.

:coeurs:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:14 pm

I am more or less interested in all of AGEod's titles so far (even if less so in the forthcoming VGN--the 19th and early 20th centuries are just not my "thing"), and would purchase them all beyond just my current AACW.

But I've wasted too much money over the years buying games willy nilly that I never actually play. With a daughter in college, etc., etc., I can't afford to do that now. Lack of money--and free time!--force me to be discriminating.

Aside from AACW, I've got enough games on my plate--from AGEod but also Matrix, HPS, Paradox--to keep me busy for a very long while.

I plan to buy NCP this autumn when my schedule loosens up a bit, and I will surely purchase the proposed new Seven Years War game when it comes out (my interest is so strong in that subject matter, also any European wars prior to that). But BOA2, VGN, WWI, etc.? My interest in their subject matter is rather marginal.

Sorry, given my very strong interest in the ACW, but also Napoleonics, I would spend my money on completing my HPS Civil War and Nappy collections before purchasing any AGEod games of marginal interest.

For me, the subject matter is of high importance. Not so the company, or its particular game engine.

But subject matter doesn't trump everything. I've looked at FoF and WBTS but declined to purchase them, too. For various reasons, despite my intense interest in the ACW, they don't look appealing.

Maybe one of these years (retirement?), and if I win the Lottery...
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

Zebedee
Sergeant

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:43 am

I've bought AACW and enjoy playing it. Napoleonic warfare is what I grew up with as a grognard. However the scale isn't quite right for me with AGEOD's Napoleonic game so I probably won't be buying (can't do Napoleonics without Poniatowski's V Crops recreated down to the last Uhlan!).

Not really sure any of the other current AGEOD titles are of immediate interest to me.

My problem is that lack of time makes PBEM a very dubious prospect for me and so I am stuck with an AI. And the more complex the game and the grander the scale, the more difficult it is to find an acceptable AI to even toy against.
[font="Verdana"]"For God's sake, let us if possible keep out of it." - Lord Russell on British government policy towards the warring states, Hansard.[/font]

[color="Blue"]Gray's Historical Accuracy Mod for AACW[/color]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 pm

I bough all AGEod engine games in the past, but I have doubts for future!

Last months events were not positive.

WWI, we all have to admit, was a fiasco, ( at release date, as up to present days)!
I was with ones defending the product..........
I did not changed mind: guess with long improving work somehting good could come out, but at moment is really disappointing!
The great expectation AGEod feeded in users, on the eve of its release have been disappointed.

WiA, although adding new features to old BoA is not worth a new program. We have an obsolete graphic, (NCP outstanding graphic makes it weak!), and just marginal improvements. For example the Army-Corps-Division-Brigade organization of forces, introduced with AACW and then NCP, were not transferred to WiA.

Looking to Pocus honesty, (I'm referring to him as poll editor), and AGEod need to keep aware of marketing tendency I suggest to start a new version of present poll, to track customers feeling after most recent non positive exploits from Ageod.
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

Galaahd
Conscript

Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:13 pm

I have ACW and BoA 2, I will buy NCP as soon as possible (WW1 will wait as I must buy a new computer first :( ).

Clovis

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 pm

jastaV wrote:I bough all AGEod engine games in the past, but I have doubts for future!

Last months events were not positive.

WWI, we all have to admit, was a fiasco, ( at release date, as up to present days)!
I was with ones defending the product..........
I did not changed mind: guess with long improving work somehting good could come out, but at moment is really disappointing!
The great expectation AGEod feeded in users, on the eve of its release have been disappointed.

WiA, although adding new features to old BoA is not worth a new program. We have an obsolete graphic, (NCP outstanding graphic makes it weak!), and just marginal improvements. For example the Army-Corps-Division-Brigade organization of forces, introduced with AACW and then NCP, were not transferred to WiA.

Looking to Pocus honesty, (I'm referring to him as poll editor), and AGEod need to keep aware of marketing tendency I suggest to start a new version of present poll, to track customers feeling after most recent non positive exploits from Ageod.

WW1 isn't a fiasco, just a game released three months too soon. January should get a fully playable engine, with a real manual, and rules which are simply afew year ahead of the whole wargaming computer designs, so often plagued by accumalation of irrelevant design without any real thinking about the fundamental concepts. Now, of course, a temporary loss in consumer confidence is existing but I guess in 2009 this sshould be largely toned down.

WIA: honestly, of the 4 AGEOD products ( BOA, AACW, NCP and WIA), the weakest is for me NCP: no real strategic depth, a yet inaccurate losses model...and graphics which aren't my taste. A game the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian war would have been certainly much better.
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Nikel

Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:04 am

In my case I really like NCP graphics ;)

About depth it is enough for me right now, but I come mostly from tactical and real time games, so perhaps I will change my mind with time :neener:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:09 am

Clovis wrote:WW1 isn't a fiasco, just a game released three months too soon. January should get a fully playable engine,......

Before quoting my worlds read them!!!!!!!
I steated clearly at release date, as at present!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was with ones defending the product.......... I trust AGEod will make that a good product: it's not first time I said it!

Clovis wrote:WIA: honestly, of the 4 AGEOD products ( BOA, AACW, NCP and WIA), the weakest is for me NCP: no real strategic depth, a yet inaccurate losses model...and graphics which aren't my taste.

If you like we could add NCP to the list, too!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Clovis

Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:50 am

jastaV wrote:Before quoting my worlds read them!!!!!!!
I steated clearly at release date, as at present!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was with ones defending the product.......... I trust AGEod will make that a good product: it's not first time I said it!

If you like we could add NCP to the list, too!!!!!!!! :wacko:

you should tone down your tone sometimes. I know any forum to be filled with hyperbolic assertions, but I'm unsure it gives interesting results..

Now, fiasco would signify total failure. As of today, this game is playable; here and there some bugs are yet present but in better shape than other products. So even today it's not the fiasco you'redescribing is more accuratly a difficult birth most games have experienced.

Now, about NCP graphics, thier real weakness is related to the loss of mood AACW , BOA and WIA maps are conveying. Looking to NCP, I feel immediatly we're looking at a computerized map. From time to time, I really believe to look at an historical map when playing AACW or BOA/WIA. Sandra is a great artist ( that's not to say the new graphists aren't very talented, because in itself NCP map is surpassing in the wargaming field any other game published, and even WW1 map is showing here and there real nice concepts even if I regret the "filigrane" suriimposed on the regions which is perturbing map reading) and I should really satisfied when AGEOD will keep on this map design model.
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:26 am

Clovis wrote:you should tone down your tone sometimes. I know any forum to be filled with hyperbolic assertions, but I'm unsure it gives interesting results..

Now, fiasco would signify total failure. As of today, this game is playable; here and there some bugs are yet present but in better shape than other products. So even today it's not the fiasco you'redescribing is more accuratly a difficult birth most games have experienced.

Now, about NCP graphics, thier real weakness is related to the loss of mood AACW , BOA and WIA maps are conveying. Looking to NCP, I feel immediatly we're looking at a computerized map. From time to time, I really believe to look at an historical map when playing AACW or BOA/WIA. Sandra is a great artist ( that's not to say the new graphists aren't very talented, because in itself NCP map is surpassing in the wargaming field any other game published, and even WW1 map is showing here and there real nice concepts even if I regret the "filigrane" suriimposed on the regions which is perturbing map reading) and I should really satisfied when AGEOD will keep on this map design model.

I'll quote first posting from plasticpanzers:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=121820&postcount=167
he contradicts your statements over NCP!
Indeed we are reporting opinions, anyway worth of respects!..
DIFFERENT OPINIONS MAKE THINGS INTERESTING!

My use of Fiasco is to be read according to the Opera traditions......
In Verdi's Otello when the tenor sing a false note in the opening "Esultate!" the full permormance will be regarded as a fiasco as if then perfect in any other element.

Fiasco was the game release, not the game!

Notice, my trust in WWI positive future is so strong that, but some critics over the decision of release an immature project, I'm already at work to improve it going after my competence in WWI airwarfare:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12358

Guess the Ageod fault was born by decision of releasing La Grande Guerre game in coincidence with 90th adniversary of WWI end.
Then the thing was publicly stated, and became a true even when the program was not ready to hit shops!

Have a last suggestion to help recovering AGEod customers confidence.....
All first hour WWI customers could be gifted with a special WWI souvenir pack, for free! :neener:
[CENTER]In the souvenir pack we'll include:
-Some tons of of WWI blood spreaded Somme mould.
-some tons of Carsic rocks.
-some hundred kms of original WWI barbed-wire.
-some thousands WWI shell splinters, (more tons weight worth).
The full souvenir pack will be available for free! [/CENTER]
Notice: WWI CURTOMERS WILL BE CHARGED ONLY FOR DELIVERY COSTS!!!!!!!!

Do I have to add I was just jockying?
Hope not!
:wacko: :mdr:

arsan

Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:39 pm

jastaV wrote:

I must say WIA map graphics are my favorite of all AGEOD games. AACW map have great flavor but can be a little too busy on some areas. NCP map is very nice looking but lacks the personality of other AGEOD map games.
WIA have it all: flavor, personality, cleanliness... a beauty! :thumbsup:
Regarding the games, i have not delved on WW1 enough to have an opinion. I'm sure it will end being a fine game, although the release was kind of botched, no doubt.
But i don't agree at all about WIA being a failure. Its the AGEOD game i'm playing and enjoying more lately.
The army/corps/brigade organization was not included on game as a design/history decision. And i think it was a good idea. Game play is more streamlined, historical feeling is great and the AI fares better without this system.
I agree with Clovis about NCP... IMHO, NCP is the weakest proper AGEOD (AGE Engine) game to date, even if its a very good game still.
And the Napoleonic era has so much potential i really hope AGEOD makes a NCP 2 in the future :coeurs: :coeurs:
Regards

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:10 pm

arsan wrote:I must say WIA map graphics are my favorite of all AGEOD games. AACW map have great flavor but can be a little too busy on some areas. NCP map is very nice looking but lacks the personality of other AGEOD map games.
Regarding the games, i have not delved on WW1 enough to have an opinion.

I can agree!
Old style maps add flavour to game!
Indeed we could agree over the fact WiA and NCP are so different in matter of graphic style a comparison in quite impossible! :cool:
A negative note over WiA, and in part AACW map, are the winter snowed areas: they are so with bright they are a pain for eyes! :blink:

But i don't agree at all about WIA being a failure. Its the AGEOD game i'm playing and enjoying more lately.

Not a failure as a game!.... just in matter of new issues introducing, in comparison to BoA!

The army/corps/brigade organization was not included on game as a design/history decision. And i think it was a good idea. Game play is more streamlined, historical feeling is great and the AI fares better without this system.

You have to admit WiA, having 1812 scenarios too, has not reasons for missing the Army/Corps/Organizations we have in NCP around matching date campaigns!
....BTW, guess it could be possible to intruduce it by modding, in so far Game Engine is common to all AGEod games!

And the Napoleonic era has so much potential i really hope AGEOD makes a NCP 2 in the future :coeurs: :coeurs:

Potential and glamour indeed! :thumbsup:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:13 pm

arsan wrote:I must say WIA map graphics are my favorite of all AGEOD games. AACW map have great flavor but can be a little too busy on some areas. NCP map is very nice looking but lacks the personality of other AGEOD map games.

I agree with Clovis about NCP... IMHO, NCP is the weakest proper AGEOD (AGE Engine) game to date, even if its a very good game still.

I agree with all of this.

NCP's graphics are stunning, but the game world is somewhat lifeless and sterile. NCP's biggest problems, widely noted, are deficiencies of scenario design. NCP's battle resolutions need to be reviewed. Okay, for NCP2 (is there any doubt it will happen someday?), add a multi-year extended grand campaign, but please don't de-emphasize the scenarios at all.

Looking forward to AACW2, also, with better support for campaign scenarios (7-day turns? more, and smaller, regions?).

As of now, WIA has struck the right balance in most aspects. Great game.

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Clovis

Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:48 pm

jastaV wrote:I'll quote first posting from plasticpanzers:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=121820&postcount=167
he contradicts your statements over NCP!
Indeed we are reporting opinions, anyway worth of respects!..
DIFFERENT OPINIONS MAKE THINGS INTERESTING!

For Napoleonic fans, NCP is good. But to the difference of AACW or WIA, I yet to read someone stating NCP has made him interested by Napoleonic battles.NCP is unable to get this little prodige AACW and WIA have done...
[LEFT]Disabled

[CENTER][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

Hobbes

Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:10 pm

Regarding the games, i have not delved on WW1 enough to have an opinion. I'm sure it will end being a fine game, although the release was kind of botched, no doubt.
Regards

I was about to type on this thread but you pretty much summed up all I wanted to say arsan. The only negative I have with AGEOD games is that I encounter quite a few problems when playing the scenarios. I would like to see more playtesting but I understand there is not the time. The plus side is that people like Lodi come up with fixes amazingly quickly and so the effect on the game is fairly minimal.

Chris

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Clovis wrote:For Napoleonic fans, NCP is good. But to the difference of AACW or WIA, I yet to read someone stating NCP has made him interested by Napoleonic battles.NCP is unable to get this little prodige AACW and WIA have done...

Interesting observation: +1 :thumbsup: !
I suspect there's a sort of Continental effect behind, that!
Many Europeans have tried and played with enhsiasm WiA and AACW, and even BoA in the past. Personally, I bought and played all of them, after having tried NCP!

It seems like U.S.A. gamers, (BTW, very important as customers, looking at the marked dimension), are not very intersted to Old Europe history!
Should that be true I can agree with Clovis: European Customers under the enthusuasm of the game, (AACW or WiA) went searching for pages of US military history.....

Indeed, more than one NCP gamer went after Napoleonic age history after the game experience...... looks as an example to many links posted replying to informations requests. :cool:

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:15 pm

If American war gamers have not embraced NCP like the other titles, how much is that due to its near invisibility in the American on-line (Matrix Games, Amazon.com) and retail (Best Buy, Circuit City) markets? By contrast, and not surprisingly, you will see AACW & WIA on both cyber and physical store shelves over here.

As for myself, I discovered AGEod, and therefore AACW & WIA, by way of Matrix Games. I probably would not have learned about AGEod and these games otherwise. AGEod has no marketing arrangement with Matrix for NCP.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:32 pm

berto wrote:If American war gamers have not embraced NCP like the other titles, how much is that due to its near invisibility in the American on-line (Matrix Games, Amazon.com) and retail (Best Buy, Circuit City) markets? By contrast, and not surprisingly, you will see AACW & WIA on both cyber and physical store shelves over here.

As for myself, I discovered AGEod, and therefore AACW & WIA, by way of Matrix Games. I probably would not have learned about AGEod and these games otherwise. AGEod has no marketing arrangement with Matrix for NCP.

Great public knowledge of AGEod can be a problem.
I discovered AGEod when looking on line, by Key words searching for Napoleonic games: NCP was on the way to be released in the boxed version!
AFAIK only AGEod game available on the Italian market was AACW..... last time I checked was a couple of months ago! :wacko:

Maqver
Corporal

Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:36 pm

For me its only ever PBEM. Computer AI's dont cut it IMO. Also I'm one player at least who is only interested in full campaigns. Thus I have ACCW and enjoy it tremendously but I've steered away from NCP because it has no overarching campaign feature, even though its my favoured period.

Ditto. Love the Civil War game, even though Napoleon age is my favorite period (yes and I am an American). As someone mentioned the map lacks personality and there is no campaign game, no competing political/cultural goals among the nations....I try opening the game and just can't get drawn into it.

Anyone know what the reliable sales figures were for the two matrix games - the one of the Civil War vs. the Napoleonic one?

gunnergoz
Corporal
Location: Sunny Sandy Ego, CA -- also known as San Diego or "America's Finest City" to the tourist i

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:04 am

I have ACW, BoA & NC - must admit I'm a bit frustrated with having to buy WIA after paying for BoA, but I'll get over it - you guys have to make money, but an upgrade path would have been nice, even at a $5 discount...rewards customer loyalty, you know.

Downloaded the WW1 demo and as much as I tried, I couldn't like it - love the era and scale, just found it too obtuse, lacking in documentation, the map orientation annoying as all get out, and too slow (on a Dual-core 2.10 MGHz Rig less than 3 months old.) Close, but no cigar, as they say.

On the other hand, I will buy VoN when it comes out - I have no doubt that, as long as it is a native programming project from this team, and not farmed out, it will be a keeper.

For now, I'll probably buy WIA with my next free cash (never a sure thing these days, unfortunately) and will enjoy that until VoN arrives on the scene.

Don't play MP, just AI. Not antisocial, just like to come and go as I please and I have this unreasonable expectation that game AI's will get better over time...yours are proof of that.

Documentation is very important to the thorough enjoyment of a game to guys like me - we don't shirk from reading all the detail and fine print. It's like knowing what went into the recipe so you can enjoy the meal more! A well-documented game inspires and challenges the gamer to get into it more and more. I don't like having to scurry all over various forums and FAQ's to get basic answers about how a game works. This in part killed WW1 for me.

I do like mods and will download and adopt my favorites if they add something that the plain game does not offer. Moddability to me is a sign of flexible programming - which seems a good thing to me, being a non-programmer of course.

Price point - I'll pay $50 or so for a good game, perhaps just a bit more for something exceptional, with nice maps or whatever.

Games that keep me coming back always have open ended tendencies, where I can take them to curious outcomes - but never too far from historical. I don't expect Italy to conquer the world in 1890 but I'd love to see it reconquer the Med again! Or have a darn good time trying to!

I can see myself developing loyalty to this community because there is an atmosphere of civility and respect here; and the big thing is that the programmers and developers all seem willing to stay in touch with the players through these forums. That means a lot, given how busy you all must be. It's a fine place to spend some time and chat with interesting and civil people with interesting views.

Just my 2 bits, hope it is useful in some way.

Mortar
Sergeant

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:28 am

Have AACW & BOA2... wanna get some others too, as I can. Excellent work!

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Mortar wrote:Have AACW & BOA2... wanna get some others too, as I can. Excellent work!

ditto

The price was right and I enjoy both thus far.

I might buy others in the future but my guess is these two will keep me busy for a while :D

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:37 am

I have

PoN
AACW
RUS
ROP
BOA 2
NCP

I guess I am pretty much buying them all at this point. :D

Matto
Colonel

Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I have

AJE
PoN
AACW
RUS
ROP
BOA 2
NCP
Napoleon days in Austerlitz 2011 - photo gallery
My Czech pages agout AGEOD: AGEOD games, RoP AAR - Prussian side
My AGEOD games: WoN, TYW, EAW, CW2, AJE, PoN, NCP, ROP Gold, RUS Gold and BOA2

Soulstrider
Major

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I have

AJE
BOA 2
PON

Plan to buy:
RUS
WW1 GOLD

Maybe, depends if I get a good promo and being in the mood for it:
NCP
ROP

DanSez
Sergeant

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:43 am

Got em all except for the first BOA.

Playing AACW and WIA currently while learning the PBEM routine.
RUS and AJE are also games I am playing solo.

Haven't played more than a few turns of the others for various reasons.
No use muddying up the thread with critiques.

Asto the Poll - The subject/scope of the game is most important to get my attention. Love the AJE concept and hope there would be more scenarios/dlc added next year.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 am

WW1G
PON + all DLC
RUS
AJE

Planning to buy any and all DLC for AJE when released and ROP in the near future. Am pretty much subject driven in my buying habits and have a good stock of other publishers' Napoleonic and US Civil War titles that still offer challenges.

Return to “General discussions”