HidekiTojo
Colonel

Calling all old guard (and hiya to the new guard!)

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:41 am

I haven't been around for far too long. Frankly this is the only forum that I have ever come back to and its a crime that I have taken such a ridiculous absence. It's not just the excellent games or the worship of good ol' Athena. It's you guys, its always been a pleasure to talk strategy and history. :coeurs:

I am currently rusty as a bayonet that's been stuck in the ground since the American Civil War. I'm trying to figure out which game I'd like to try out. I have been trying WitE recently and while failing miserably to keep track of all the units in Road to Leningrad it suddenly hit me like an armored train: I haven't been in the Ageod forums for years!!! :crying:

Well of course that's COMPLETELY unacceptable! So I decided to fix that immediately. The second part is of course to go back to the good old Ageod games. Which one I am not sure, I did just win the Revolution Under Siege Finnish Civil War scenario as the Finns but of course that's like saying I managed to get out of bed this morning. I then tried the RUS grand campaign as Siberian Whites and made the awful mistake of attacking Ekaterinburg immediately and the Reds utterly smashed the Czech and White forces. Not an ideal start. I also plan to try Civil War 2 but I always had a hell of a time organizing the forces there especially getting properly made stacks let alone corps. Still I love these games far too much to give up so easily when I was able to manage it before.

There's also Espana 1936 which I adore. I wish there was a sequel or gold version as they did such a wonderful job with it, however I think I will go back to my favorites: either RUS or Civil War 2 to start off. I still remember when someone posted screens of it from Pocus' imgur (or something like that) account not long before it came out. Good times.

I doubt any of you remember me that much but if you do stop by and say hi! I hope all of you have been doing very well, and I look forward to staying in touch :D :party: :hat:

Taillebois
General of the Army

Re: Calling all old guard (and hiya to the new guard!)

Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:16 pm

Welcome back.

The old order changeth, yielding place to new.

I've never got much further than the Finns or the Fall of the North.

I'm reading a book on Moorish Spain (by Richard Fletcher) he points out the Moors conquered in 4 years what took the Romans 200. That at least inspired me to fire up AJE and play the tutorial scenario.

Durk

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:36 pm

Yes, welcome back. Follow your bliss into which ever AGEOD game best provides that reward. From my perspective, get a pbem game going so you and your new gaming partner can debate which one to play.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:27 pm

Taillebois wrote:Welcome back.

The old order changeth, yielding place to new.

I've never got much further than the Finns or the Fall of the North.

I'm reading a book on Moorish Spain (by Richard Fletcher) he points out the Moors conquered in 4 years what took the Romans 200. That at least inspired me to fire up AJE and play the tutorial scenario.

Now that book sounds interesting! I played a lot of AJE back in the day but I prefer the chain of command of other titles to be perfectly honest.

However whats quite interesting is that WitE2 is out today. Although I will always prefer the Ageod style bc it at least gives me something more interesting to look at.

Pocus

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:13 pm

Your handle is definitively known to me and probably remember by many here. Welcome back.

DooberGuy
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 pm

Welcome back!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 05, 2021 2:50 am

HidekiTojo wrote:Espana 1936 which I adore. I wish there was a sequel or gold version as they did such a wonderful job with it,

About RUS, many dream about a RUS where you prevent Lenin from ninja-signing the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk. So without the treaty, it's continuing the war in a partisants war, and less whites are added in the civil war.

About España36, history in general, which is made by "republicans" (because winners of WW2, despite they then let Spain to Franco), history omits that spain republicans had let Zaragoza to nationalists (anarchists must not capture their 2nd barcelona), and that french republicans, threatening the republic of Spain, let moroco legion to Franco.
These were actually strategical, so Spain republicans gave the north to Franco, while french republicans gave the south Spain to him.
Spain republicans prefer Franco than Durruti, and french republicans prefer Franco than again risking losing the moroco colony.
Popular Fronts parties at work.

Return to “General discussions”