marek1978
Colonel

New engine in XVII/XVIII/XIX century games

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:11 pm

I am really impressed with the way that Field of Empires looks like. From what i read in Dev Diaries it seems that is going to be one of the best games to simulate economy and politics in gaming.

Really happy for that.

I was wondering what would be coming next ( obviously not soon because there will be a lot to explore in ancient times)

Obvious choice would be to transform Field of Glory Empires idea of mixing strategy game with corresponding tactical one.
It can be achieved with Pike and Shot i guess.

It definitely sounds tempting but makes me, old Ageod fan, bit worried.
What i love about games like CW2, Wars of Napoleon, Wars of Succession is its deep operational level, historical flavour of covering not to wide time frames but ones that actually could be experienced and influenced by real people and politicians not by some "ghost of times" that travel throughout centuries.

I am worried that we will se some sort of Europa Unowersalis mixed with Pike and Shot - game covering 300 years with one year turns and provinces with the size of a country and we wont see games that would target shorter periods with more fun challenges - like wining revolutionary wars, napoleon wars, uniting Germany or stopping Louis XIV.

Ideal solution would be to have long time span, montly turns ( they work great for WOS while WON weekly turns is to tense) and map with such a density as WOS

But that’s probally to much to home for and i am probbaly just another history geek :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: New engine in XVII/XVIII/XIX century games

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:31 pm

my understanding is the engine can be used to produce tactical games such as FoG2, somewhat ahistoric 4x (Empires) and scripted constrained games - say a rework of Rise of Prussia. So yes, its feasible that it can be used to replace the classic AGEOD games.

Its a system that allows tactical, single campaign (with lots of detail) and grand strategy (with less constraints - but this purely bu choice) games.

marek1978
Colonel

Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm

loki100 wrote:my understanding is the engine can be used to produce tactical games such as FoG2, somewhat ahistoric 4x (Empires) and scripted constrained games - say a rework of Rise of Prussia. So yes, its feasible that it can be used to replace the classic AGEOD games.

Its a system that allows tactical, single campaign (with lots of detail) and grand strategy (with less constraints - but this purely bu choice) games.

I really hope to see such games.
Game covering important period of history allowing players to struggle with challenges that were faced then and look for altenrative solutions.
Something like :
-age of expansion – 1667 – 1714 – covering Lois XIV and Peter the great imperialistic expansion and decline of old powers
-age of colonialism – 1740-1788 – struggle for new world – covering great struggle betwwen bourbon powers and England and rise of new empires in the east
-age of revolution – 1788-1820 – covering revolution and war for Europe
-age of unity – 1850-1871 – struggle for german and Italian unification and domination in Europe

With monthly turns – those games could be 200-500 turns which is doable.
With this beatifull new economy and politics solution we see in FOG Empires, with maps of Wars of Napoleon density and few playable nations.
Politics, economy, operational warfare – ultimate but playbe history games. Dream come true….

Pocus

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

You know guys, Slitherine never made a mystery that the engine can be licensed to a third party team willing to tackle a subject of his choice. :siffle:

marek1978
Colonel

Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Pocus wrote:You know guys, Slitherine never made a mystery that the engine can be licensed to a third party team willing to tackle a subject of his choice. :siffle:

well you know, i am a journalist and tv guy - so the only thing i know is to talk, talk, talk and write, write, write

selling stories - "money for nothing ..."

but maybe someone with tjhe real skill set :)

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm

What I see from Matrix forums, conflicts heavily oriented on WW'2. No offense but American players dominate wargaming industry. Rarely I see such as Iran&IRaq war in Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 future design. Hope to see more cossacks more European conflicts in 17&19century. :feu:

Stratman
Captain

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:11 pm

Baris wrote:What I see from Matrix forums, conflicts heavily oriented on WW'2.

BTW I don't know any WEGO games about WW2... It`s a pity.
My dream is WW2 game from AGEod with Grand Campaign in WON` style.
Another dream is a game from AGEod covering middle ages.

Pocus

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:22 pm

If the first game on the new engine is a success, anything is possible!

Kotik
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:18 pm

marek1978 wrote:
loki100 wrote:my understanding is the engine can be used to produce tactical games such as FoG2, somewhat ahistoric 4x (Empires) and scripted constrained games - say a rework of Rise of Prussia. So yes, its feasible that it can be used to replace the classic AGEOD games.

I really hope to see such games.
Game covering important period of history allowing players to struggle with challenges that were faced then and look for altenrative solutions.
Something like :
-age of expansion – 1667 – 1714 – covering Lois XIV and Peter the great imperialistic expansion and decline of old powers
-age of colonialism – 1740-1788 – struggle for new world – covering great struggle betwwen bourbon powers and England and rise of new empires in the east
-age of revolution – 1788-1820 – covering revolution and war for Europe
-age of unity – 1850-1871 – struggle for german and Italian unification and domination in Europe

With monthly turns – those games could be 200-500 turns which is doable.
With this beatifull new economy and politics solution we see in FOG Empires, with maps of Wars of Napoleon density and few playable nations.
Politics, economy, operational warfare – ultimate but playbe history games. Dream come true….

If you want a good Age of Colonialism game you have to start earlier, like 1500 so each player has a chance to develop it's colonies.

Im personally still yearning for a new modern colonialism game but I have my doubts that will ever happen.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:39 pm

Habsburg, Ottoman and Romanov etc... For decadence&culture grand strategy? For a route in this maybe this can be better era in future. Political decisions and such. It can be rich and detailed more accurate info maybe.

Return to “General discussions”