Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 pm

I believe one of the good aspects of Ageod games were Pbem. Besides being not operational it became more single player oriented recently. That's ok if that's more profitable.

MarkShot wrote:Empires was in a few ways closer to some things Philippe Thibaut did before AGEOD was founded.

* EU1: He was the author of the boardgame and on the PDS team porting their very first game that would build the franchise. But at that time, the venture was not Paradox.

* GI aka Great Invasion published by Nobilis: This game does not run well under NT kernel Windows, but if you can get a copy for free and or a manual, you will immediately see the similarity to EU1 with realtime, pop-up message, events, etc... In it, you will find the life cycle and aging of nations. Also, points were not simply awarded for conquest. But the absolute most unique idea was that the player would actually play a color which was an unrelated group of nations. This idea has appeared in business simulations, but never national/factional strategy. This predates AGEOD I think by 2 years.

But Philippe Thibaut and Andatiep were interested in Turkish Civil War (1919-1923) recently; few years back. EU Boardgame was on the past. Espana, RCW were designed and later 'libertad o muerte' by Miguel.

Durk

Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:23 am

I too am a huge fan of the WEGO historically accurate games AGEOD created. My pbem friends discovered through playing these games have lasted years. Any gamer with an historical bent finds true love.

I would say FoG:Empires is well worth the play. This is especially true for fans of PON who like the war waging side of gaming more than the patient diplomacy side of empire building; but it has both in spades. It does maintain the WEGO aspect of turn resolution. I have had a lot of fun in multiplayer games, currently stumbling toward world conquest as Persia in the recent expansion.

A unique aspect of the AGEOD forum is that all games supported on the forum form a family of games with familiar protocols such that comments on one game can be extrapolated to other games. Sites like Matrix and Sitherine are very decent sites, but because the variety and quality of the games hosted on these site vary so much there is abundant chaff to wade through to find meaningful grains of content; and older titles are buried in deep footnotes. This lack of thematic or format organization narrows the discussion to minor aspects.

One huge bright spot of the AGEOD system is the number of dedicated amateurs designers who found a home for publication. Perhaps this success has a bright future.

Pocus

Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:40 am

Well said.

No, there won't be, from me or Philippe Thibaut (which has his own company now) new games as detailed (military speaking, because Empires with its 400 interconnected buildings IS detailed) for the foreseeable future. Perhaps from another person?

marek1978
Colonel

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:19 am

Pocus wrote:Well said.

No, there won't be, from me or Philippe Thibaut (which has his own company now) new games as detailed (military speaking, because Empires with its 400 interconnected buildings IS detailed) for the foreseeable future. Perhaps from another person?

ehhh

my heart is broken....
:)

anyway, whatever your guys will produce you have my money.
I hope that one day there will be WON based on new engine

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Durk wrote:One huge bright spot of the AGEOD system is the number of dedicated amateurs designers who found a home for publication. Perhaps this success has a bright future.

Only as a shooting star, which has already past :

marek1978 wrote:ehhh
my heart is broken....
:)

What went broken uterly tired were the spirit of modder devs,
as working with AGE engine was huge work for them, so they quit or later use a different engine for their work.

Leibst

Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Nice to see activity in this dear forum. Very interesting chat. :cool:

Kriegsspieler

Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:52 pm

I have to say that I am most disappointed to hear that there likely won't be a successor to the Civil War game, or to Pride of Nations. Both were noteworthy accomplishments, and in the case of Civil War probably the best of its kind, ever.

Still, if Field of Glory: Empires turns out to be the last product of this partnership, it was a fantastic way to go out.

Pocus

Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:48 pm

There won't be, with the OLD engine. I would very much like to make ACW3 or PON2 with the new one, which has more potential, is faster and with less gameplay bugs.

Stratman
Captain

Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:26 pm

Pocus wrote:There won't be, with the OLD engine. I would very much like to make ACW3 or PON2 with the new one, which has more potential, is faster and with less gameplay bugs.

We all want the same! I'm sure.
The only question is whether the new engine can provide similar gameplay.
In addition, there was a thought in your post above, about abandoning detailed games in the future...
I see a contradiction here. :confused:

Kriegsspieler

Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:17 pm

Well, I find Pocus's statement quite encouraging! But I agree that if detailed treatment is what has best characterized the games he has designed up till now, then there's an implicit contradiction here.

zakblood
Colonel

Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:34 pm

Pocus wrote:There won't be, with the OLD engine. I would very much like to make ACW3 or PON2 with the new one, which has more potential, is faster and with less gameplay bugs.

both sound right up my street so look forward to more of the same tbh

:dada:

lodilefty

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 pm

zakblood wrote:

both sound right up my street so look forward to more of the same tbh

:dada:

+1 :pouet:

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm

Well Slitherine and Matrix Games do have pro-American established community in their games as far as I can tell. Not surprising new Ageod going for it. Still PON and ACW remake could be cool. Hope to see in new engine.

EthanWinters
Civilian

Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:40 am

allan_boa wrote:... Seems so ... not 100% but 98% ?
I can't understand why the company, ie. AGEOD is not maintaining active discussions here, for instance by simply answering all questions. This is a clear commercial mistake IMO. "Motion creates emotion".
Otherwise you're dead.
The most successful games in pc gaming history are the ones that had an active community.
Wake up guyys !

Yeah, you are right. I really loved its games too. Sadly its not that active that much. BTW which is your favorite game sir????
KineMaster Mods

Best Regards: GeorgeDaniels

Pocus

Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:06 am

I usually check the forum twice a week. It is now clearly the meeting point of players of the old AGEOD games, and that's it. They are usually quite experienced and can answer many questions.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Where can we go to get more up to date Ageod news? New projects? Playtest calls?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:12 pm

Now it should be Slitherine which manage playtests, from their forum,
where you too can find latest Ageod products
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/index.php

nbaever3
Civilian

Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 pm

I reported a bug in WOS around 2 months ago, there has been no Ageod reply, its a shame because they used to really involved in discussions.This new concept (Empires) cannot replace the classic AGEOD concept for old fans.I'm not an expert, but maybe poor sales are not due to the old concept, but because of the old engine.
spicemoneylogin.in myfiosgateway

Return to “General discussions”