Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1932
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:06 pm

I think with these recent games does some one aim for community for only American audience&players?

That seems to be it.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4871396

Why do I care? ;)

Anyway I'm with Ageod always. European conflicts first for me best wishes.

User avatar
lodilefty
Posts: 7595
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY GMT -5 US Eastern

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:36 pm

andrzej wrote:Everything would be better if there were normal active moderators on this forum. On my Russian-language forum Ageod, I communicate with each user, help newbies, clean and combine similar topics, organize MP games. And here you can see no moderator work, unfortunately ...


I check the forum daily. Best I can do.

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Steve,

Good to see you. How are the Lakes?

I hardly come here. Just Pocus pointed me here the other day.

I remembering maybe 25 years ago a trip I took to Lake Placid with my wife. We got a canoe from the hotel, and was out on the water in the early hours of the morning.

There was this thin mist from the cool water just hanging of the lake. It was really beautiful.

Much more peaceful than doing white water rafting. (done that too)

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 pm

lodilefty wrote:
andrzej wrote:Everything would be better if there were normal active moderators on this forum. On my Russian-language forum Ageod, I communicate with each user, help newbies, clean and combine similar topics, organize MP games. And here you can see no moderator work, unfortunately ...


I check the forum daily. Best I can do.

Are you a moderator? I don't see your work at all. The forum looks deserted. Half of the newbies' questions remain unanswered. The same questions are asked many times. I created a settings directory -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wPsriYfNTtYJ2GHtY5YEiUEZ9ruOp3klHDxkxbUvTEQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Why did no one come up with this idea before - there are hundreds of questions about it?

User avatar
Durk
Posts: 2816
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:36 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:21 pm

I am not sure this forum has a moderator in the sense you mean. It does have several engaged commentators who visit daily to reply to new posts. Many of the unanswered posts are requests for pbem games, these are usually replied to privately not in the forum. Several posts are simple complaints or a request for a change to a game, which cannot be done in the forum.
I think you will find almost all other questions and posts receive a response. Though quiet, this forum is still very active.

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:33 am

lodilefty wrote:I check the forum daily. Best I can do.


Ok, yes, I probably imagine a little differently the work of the forum moderator about games.
But here's a question about your work - my colleague in the MP PON game Dmitry began to publish his literary aar here, but for some reason it was banned. There was no response to his appeal to the administration. Can you solve this problem?
http://www.ageod-forum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=174332

User avatar
Le Ricain
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:56 am

MarkShot wrote:Steve,

Good to see you. How are the Lakes?

I hardly come here. Just Pocus pointed me here the other day.

I remembering maybe 25 years ago a trip I took to Lake Placid with my wife. We got a canoe from the hotel, and was out on the water in the early hours of the morning.

There was this thin mist from the cool water just hanging of the lake. It was really beautiful.

Much more peaceful than doing white water rafting. (done that too)


MarkShot,

Good to hear from you. It has been awhile. I do not come here that often. I am still in Scotland as we go into our second lockdown.

User avatar
Le Ricain
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 am

lodilefty wrote:
andrzej wrote:Everything would be better if there were normal active moderators on this forum. On my Russian-language forum Ageod, I communicate with each user, help newbies, clean and combine similar topics, organize MP games. And here you can see no moderator work, unfortunately ...


I check the forum daily. Best I can do.


Still fighting the good fight? Well done, Lodilefty. I do not come here that often. Shame really. I did some work on ECW, but kind of drifted away. Keep safe.

Taillebois
General
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Nr GCHQ Cheltenham

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 am

I played a bit of ECW on an old XP laptop the other day and it played really well.

I'm still only half through reading CV Wedgwood's "The King's War" and it's nice seeing places like Lyme Regis and Basing House in a war game.


But then I still fire up AACW and AJE just to drool at the maps.

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 25527
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:05 am

Lodilefty keeps spams at bay and ensure the forum runs, but you can't expect people to keep answering newcomers questions during 15 years, they are all volunteers.

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:41 pm

Pocus wrote:Lodilefty keeps spams at bay and ensure the forum runs, but you can't expect people to keep answering newcomers questions during 15 years, they are all volunteers.

I found a list of the forum moderators - almost all of them have not entered the forum for several years, this is very sad. I would be ready to help - but I am already a moderator of the step-by-step strategies section (including Ageod) on another forum, and besides, I don't know English well.

User avatar
ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:25 am
Location: France

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Durk wrote:I am not sure this forum has a moderator in the sense you mean.

It has: You can mourn about Notre-Dame building,
but not about innocent yellow-jacket french people being removed eyes, hands, chunk of skull, rapt, sometimes killed, by police. Moderator follow french capitalism and their government politics: police violence against innocent people must not be told.

User avatar
lodilefty
Posts: 7595
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: Finger Lakes, NY GMT -5 US Eastern

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:03 pm

ERISS wrote:
Durk wrote:I am not sure this forum has a moderator in the sense you mean.

It has: You can mourn about Notre-Dame building,
but not about innocent yellow-jacket french people being removed eyes, hands, chunk of skull, rapt, sometimes killed, by police. Moderator follow french capitalism and their government politics: police violence against innocent people must not be told.


All lives matter

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:33 am

andrzej wrote:But here's a question about your work - my colleague in the MP PON game Dmitry began to publish his literary aar here, but for some reason it was banned. There was no response to his appeal to the administration. Can you solve this problem?
http://www.ageod-forum.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=174332

Can anyone help me solve this problem? This player writes very interesting literary aar (in the topic of our MP game PON I publish them) and it's a shame that he himself cannot publish them here.

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Le Ricain wrote:
MarkShot wrote:MarkShot,

Good to hear from you. It has been awhile. I do not come here that often. I am still in Scotland as we go into our second lockdown.



I hope you will be safe.

In 2012, we retired to greater China (aka Taiwan).

We live up in the mountains, and rarely leave. The fiction of a perfect island virus free is achieved by zero testing, zero disclosure, and all the political mileage it buys for China bashing.

When I leave the mountains, I wear a dual P100/GME cartridge full face plate respirator. It is the civilian equivalent of a military gas mask. It is rated by CDC/OSHA/NIOSH sufficient for work in biocontaintment facilities from Level 1 to Level 3; Level 4 (the highest level requires a self contained breathing apparatus and space suit.

Surgical masks which much of the public wears is socially responsible to reduce spread, but doesn't really protect the wearer. Filtration is at best 60% as they are really designed to avoid preventing contamination of an open wound during medical procedures. Aerosol freely flows around the sides and 3 micron aerosol can remain airborne for up to 10M or 30'.

N95 masks provide 95% filtration with most of the risk coming from the lack of a tight seal. They were originally preferred by the medical profession for single use to avoid infecting your next patient (like rubber gloves). They are easy to buy here, but I hear restricted in the USA. Actually, there is no shortage of PPE globally; just an attitude "better dead than red". KN95 is the Chinese equivalent of a US CDC certified N95, and I forgot what EU standard is. KN95 and even 3M N95s are being manufactured in China if you find someplace where to order. I have done a few shipments of N95s and KN95s to friends at risk in the USA.

All this technology was worked out pre-SARs and actually developed for TB which is highly contagious.

None of this stuff can be sterilized, but most studies put the virus at surviving at room temperature on most surfaces for 4-7 days. However, it seems to love salmon chilled at 4C. So, what 3M recommends for the medical community that cannot secure a supply of PPE is to rotate masks on minimally a 4 day cycle. You carefully remove the mask, and place in a paper bag. The bag will isolate the virus, but let moisture escape (extends the survival of the virus). In 4 or 7 days, you are safe to touch and reuse the same mask again. (Get some eye protection too. Eye infection has been demonstrated in lab animals. I don't know if they have any documented human cases. Like I said I went with a full face plate. It doesn't fog, the air that circulates over the plate comes in through the cartridges.)

More or less this model. The cartridges snap on and pressure seal where the orange rings are. There are million types of cartridges. If you can get one then get P100/GME cartridges. For COVID-19, you only need P100, but the GME is filtration of toxic gases. You'll be good for chemical industrial accidents, and able to evacuate as opposed to being a causality. (The P100 uses HEPA filters which is the medical standard for viral filtration.)

https://www.amazon.com/MSA-10083760-Adv ... 324&sr=8-1

Stay well.

LuckyMan
Civilian
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 pm
Location: Germany
Contact: Website

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:28 pm

Every man,website and forum got its own peak. When its so popular and strong.
But after a while it just lives on a curb without anybody on board.
Someday youtube will also die, thats a life

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 pm

LuckyMan wrote:Every man,website and forum got its own peak. When its so popular and strong.
But after a while it just lives on a curb without anybody on board.
Someday youtube will also die, thats a life


If you write such sad posts then of course the forum will die. I moderate the Russian-language ageod forum, organize and participate in mp games and write aar about them, create a database of settings and commands for ageod games, our friend zenvaro creates a new RUS Sons of War mod and our forum does not look dead. And if here on my direct request to help unblock our man, not one moderator has answered me for two months, then yes, the forum will die!

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Pardon for not be able to greet you properly in Russian!

I am happy to greet you. I have the full set of AJE games and the 2 US civil war games.

I think this engine and company was/is fantastic. (full disclosure: former member)

I have the above installed, and I hope to find time to play some more.

For the Western classical period, I cannot think of other titles that covered the wars of Rome at this level/scope and history. The US ACW probably was covered comparably by someone, but offhand, I don't recall any titles.

Be well!!!!

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:26 pm

MarkShot wrote:Pardon for not be able to greet you properly in Russian!

I am happy to greet you. I have the full set of AJE games and the 2 US civil war games.

I think this engine and company was/is fantastic. (full disclosure: former member)

I have the above installed, and I hope to find time to play some more.

For the Western classical period, I cannot think of other titles that covered the wars of Rome at this level/scope and history. The US ACW probably was covered comparably by someone, but offhand, I don't recall any titles.

Be well!!!!


I completely agree ! There is no other turn-based game, even after ten years, comparable to ageod in its historicity and beauty. And for the organization of multiplayer games in turn-based strategies, there are no analogues at all (now there are 15 people in our PON 1850 Grand Campaign! In what historical wargame is this still possible?

Therefore, it is surprising that so few people discuss and play unique ageod games.

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 pm

People just move on.

Over year ago I played some of Rome's battles.

I am not sure how would do in the ACW games. As command and supply are fairly simple in AJE.

I have the new Empires game. Combat resolution is not as sophisticated as AGE, but it is much more clearly presented to the player. In AGE, you get all the info, but it is a bit of a puzzle. In Empires, you see all the factors which go into resolution. That is one big improvement. But battle is less sophisticated.

But maybe except for PON, AGE was about campaigns/wars; not really grand strategy and history. Also, for a number of things, AGE has the better UI. But then, AGE was built from the ground up. Empires is a shell on top of a general game engine. So, quite a few of the stack operations are cleaner with AGE than Empires.

Also, so much comes down to intangible factors. When you look at the value of AJE or ACW, it is tremendous. And the games were being improved even years later.

Paradox skins something or adds a UI to some internal logic they need for the AI anyway so that the player can have a short cut command, and a new DLC is born. That will be $50 USD, thank you. For $50 USD, AGEOD gave you everything. Multiple scenarios, units, difficulty options, 2-3 years of patches, and a well written manual.

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:06 pm

MarkShot wrote:I have the new Empires game. Combat resolution is not as sophisticated as AGE, but it is much more clearly presented to the player. In AGE, you get all the info, but it is a bit of a puzzle. In Empires, you see all the factors which go into resolution. That is one big improvement. But battle is less sophisticated.


I personally, and some other fans of ageod, did not like the game FOG: E at all, there is a completely different principle of the game, closer to 4X games than to wargames. In old ageod games, country management is minimal and necessary only for war, but in FOG: E, vice versa.

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:51 pm

Empires was in a few ways closer to some things Philippe Thibaut did before AGEOD was founded.

* EU1: He was the author of the boardgame and on the PDS team porting their very first game that would build the franchise. But at that time, the venture was not Paradox.

* GI aka Great Invasion published by Nobilis: This game does not run well under NT kernel Windows, but if you can get a copy for free and or a manual, you will immediately see the similarity to EU1 with realtime, pop-up message, events, etc... In it, you will find the life cycle and aging of nations. Also, points were not simply awarded for conquest. But the absolute most unique idea was that the player would actually play a color which was an unrelated group of nations. This idea has appeared in business simulations, but never national/factional strategy. This predates AGEOD I think by 2 years.

User avatar
MarkShot
Posts: 2306
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:58 pm

I find FOGE refreshing.

For combat, I prefer FOG2. I bought it because it was a 25% discount bundle and interfaces with with FOGE. However, FOG2 is a very rich game in its own right.

I thought I would hate FOG2 due to TBS, but it has one of the best UIs I have seen, and can flow very fast. It conveys much more a deep strategic experience compared to even superb Total War mods like RTW1/RS3, RTW1/EB, or RTW2/DEI.

I don't like to export/import FOGE battles. I think each game shines brighter on its own.

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 25527
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

andrzej wrote:
MarkShot wrote:I have the new Empires game. Combat resolution is not as sophisticated as AGE, but it is much more clearly presented to the player. In AGE, you get all the info, but it is a bit of a puzzle. In Empires, you see all the factors which go into resolution. That is one big improvement. But battle is less sophisticated.


I personally, and some other fans of ageod, did not like the game FOG: E at all, there is a completely different principle of the game, closer to 4X games than to wargames. In old ageod games, country management is minimal and necessary only for war, but in FOG: E, vice versa.


You have to live with your time ... The last / Latest pure AGEOD products sold less and less . A change in the paradigm was necessary, elicited by Slitherine and it was a good move. Empires has been a quite decent success and this will give us the opportunity to create another game :o

User avatar
Stratman
Lieutenant
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: S-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Pocus wrote:
You have to live with your time ... The last / Latest pure AGEOD products sold less and less . A change in the paradigm was necessary, elicited by Slitherine and it was a good move. Empires has been a quite decent success and this will give us the opportunity to create another game :o

In my opinion, Empires is one of the best AGEod games and another brilliant brand new concept.
But here we are talking about something else, I think.
This new concept (Empires) cannot replace the classic AGEOD concept for old fans.
I'm not an expert, but maybe poor sales are not due to the old concept, but because of the old engine.
Finally we want now both new games in the new concept, and the continuation of the old concept but under the new engine. :wacko:

User avatar
andrzej
Sergeant
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:57 am
Location: Russia.Saint Peterburg

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Pocus wrote:You have to live with your time ... The last / Latest pure AGEOD products sold less and less . A change in the paradigm was necessary, elicited by Slitherine and it was a good move. Empires has been a quite decent success and this will give us the opportunity to create another game :o


For me, the old games Ageod -RUS, CW2, TEAW, WON are unique products that have no analogues due to the wego system and the possibility of an unlimited number of game factions. We are currently playing 15 people in the PON campaign, also 7 people in WON, before that we had a campaign of 7 participants in the RUS mod.
Two days ago, I finished the hardest game for the Southerners in CW2, my Generals Lee and Jackson were humiliated, surrounded and their armies starved to death, I almost cried when I announced to my opponent that I was surrendering! This is the game!
But why is no one telling me to campaign for FOG: E? Strange, why?

User avatar
Pocus
Posts: 25527
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:37 am
Location: Lyon (France)

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am

FOG:Empires is WEGO, 16 players. There are AAR but at the Slitherine forum, it seems the AGEOD forums is not attracting anymore any new players; that is why.

If you never played FOGE, you can't judge it ;)

User avatar
marek1978
Colonel
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:32 am

Pocus wrote:
andrzej wrote:
MarkShot wrote:I have the new Empires game. Combat resolution is not as sophisticated as AGE, but it is much more clearly presented to the player. In AGE, you get all the info, but it is a bit of a puzzle. In Empires, you see all the factors which go into resolution. That is one big improvement. But battle is less sophisticated.


I personally, and some other fans of ageod, did not like the game FOG: E at all, there is a completely different principle of the game, closer to 4X games than to wargames. In old ageod games, country management is minimal and necessary only for war, but in FOG: E, vice versa.


You have to live with your time ... The last / Latest pure AGEOD products sold less and less . A change in the paradigm was necessary, elicited by Slitherine and it was a good move. Empires has been a quite decent success and this will give us the opportunity to create another game :o


Sad, but realistic. I wish you guys buisness succes - you definitely deserve it as you deliverd great games to us over the years.

I like FOGE. Yet i just fell that old Ageod games with their great touch for history and operational wargaming and politics were unique....

The way I understand your words Pocus is that we wont see that kind of games any more?

Taillebois
General
Posts: 595
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Nr GCHQ Cheltenham

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:31 pm

Well I've still got lots to play - I re-downloaded Rise of Prussia today - I bought it in 2012 and have still only played a few turns.

RUS and PON also are still almost untouched.
----

Seeing the above posts - do you St Petersburg people know each other?

-----

Best wishes to all, and thank you again Pocus (+) for so many beautiful games.

User avatar
Stratman
Lieutenant
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:55 pm
Location: S-Petersburg, Russia

Re: Is this forum dead ?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:50 pm

Taillebois wrote: Well I've still got lots to play - I re-downloaded Rise of Prussia today - I bought it in 2012 and have still only played a few turns.

RUS and PON also are still almost untouched.
----
Seeing the above posts - do you St Petersburg people know each other?
-----
Best wishes to all, and thank you again Pocus (+) for so many beautiful games.


Yes, we know each other. We are members of the Russian-language forum about historical TBS. Andrzej (aka Northern Neighbor) is the moderator there.
Yes, we both from St. Petersburg, this is a happy coincidence and we are AGEOD fans.

As for me : I bought all AGEod titles from BOA2 till FOGE and play all of them ... so now I have a plenty of unplayed content, for many-many years to play.

Best wishes for you too and happy gaming!

Return to “General discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests