Pocus

In the meantime, what do you play and why?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 am

Hi,

Things are going slow on the forum these days, as hordes of gazillions forumites are waiting for the big announcement from us! :siffle:

So... What games are you playing and why?

Latest game I played was the skirmish mode of They are billions, a surprisingly good blend of Steampunk RTS with Tower defense. Waiting now for the campaign for some fresh air.
I'm also delving into good old Distant Worlds, but with some additional tools provided by a modder (Roger Bacon) to instill some sense of logic into the civilian sector. :laugh:

Taillebois
General of the Army

Re: In the meantime, what do you play and why?

Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 am

Waterloo scenario from NCP
Gettysburg scenario from AACW
Franco Prussian War scenario from PON

Non Ageod:

Random short scenarios from Combat Mission Beyond Overlord
Campaigns on the Danube
Arracourt scenario from The Operational Art of War

Why? Time and attention span.
Also a visit earlier this year to north east France led me to Arracourt; and then down through the Vosges and Jura.

I suppose I should play some WW1 Gold again or TEAW; however: the bird of time has but a little way to fly, and lo the bird is on the wing

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:02 am

I have enjoyed Ultimate General civil war a lot, and have been indulging again into cycling manager and Crusader Kings 2.

I am waiting for a strategy game to excite my interest for a while now, Agressors Ancient Rome developped by Slitherine is intriguing to be honest.

Pocus

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Is the AI auto compensating for losses as bad as said on Ultimate General? I did not bought it because of that.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Have just finished the March/April 1917 turn as the Entente in a World War One Gold 1915-scenario campaign. Lots of Command:Modern Air and Naval Combat time as well. The Thirty-Years War and AJE (currently 42-turns into the 2nd Punic War scenario) fills some time-gaps as does some Silent Hunter 3 or MS Flight Simulator-9 rolled back to the 1950s and sixties and generally an Over Flanders Fields mission a couple of times per week.

Have to cut way back on the gaming though as family is coming to visit.

-C

wosung

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:27 am

Pocus wrote:Is the AI auto compensating for losses as bad as said on Ultimate General? I did not bought it because of that.

Not as bad.
UG is probably the game I had the most fun with the last years.
You should really get it while it is on sale at Steam

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 am

Pocus wrote:Is the AI auto compensating for losses as bad as said on Ultimate General? I did not bought it because of that.

The problem is that the campaign is like in Robert Lee civil war, not a real campaign but battles after one another with imported results. Without a compensation mechanism one would face a gutted AI...

But the tactical engine is a beauty, I have never since the old Talonsoft games felt like a general in the civil war as much as with this game. When you are battling it out at Antietam or first and second manassas, it's amazing.

I recommend it for the tactical engine. The campaign on the other side is a crude way of stringing the battles together. The fantasy would be to have the AACW/CWII campaign with their tactical engine !

I can't wait for the napoleonic game they are working on with the same engine...

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:23 pm

veji1 wrote:
Pocus wrote:Is the AI auto compensating for losses as bad as said on Ultimate General?

the UGCW campaign is like in Robert Lee civil war, not a real campaign but battles after one another with imported results. Without a compensation mechanism one would face a gutted AI...

Yes, I felt the compensation was well balanced. However, I soon stoped playing because I felt the game was too badly scripted for my taste, as I never see enemies and reinforcment come in, suddenly it says I lost areas as if I had none scouts warning me, despite I put my main command points in.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:35 pm

Well to get proper scouting you need to send actual units to place where they can see a lot : detached skirmishers do the job really well.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:54 pm

Strategic Command Global Conflict pbem. Also playing solo Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985. I think it will have DLC about conflicts of Peşmerge; Kurdish militia against pre and after Iranian revolutionary guard.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I see I no longer play Slitherine games, alas, for all their games does not stand my need of a better UI.

I always play:
Medieval2 TotalWar-Kingdoms, for his ThirdAge mod (I have the old CD version, plus an anti-drm crack)
UFO:Aftershock (XCOM:EnemyWithin is strategically broken, others are on Steam that I don't use)
ShadowWarrior2 (infinite sandbox h&s FPS)
GrimDawn (prefered H&S with PoExile, but PoE is somewhat elitist)
StarCrawlers (forgiving dungeoncrawl with excellent story)
Rebuild3:GoDv (4X with nice factions)
1Quest (my prefered roguelite, buy it at itchio where there's the last version)

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Wars across the world... :)
Six gun saga
Us and them
Pro cycling manager 2017
Football tactics
Ultimate general civil war
Naval action
Through the age
twilight struggle
maquis
Levee en masse
:hat:

Altaris

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Strategic Command 3 (SC WWII: War in Europe) is the latest iteration of the Strategic Command series, and quite good. It's 50% off right now for Steam Summer Sale to boot. It's basically the same game as SC2, except it's moved back to hexes, has a slightly better UI, and the AI seems a fair bit improved (it's given me a decent challenge). SC series is probably the most fun I've had with turn-based multiplayer outside of AGEOD games.

HOI4 is a fun game too, and has gotten quite a bit better with the latest expansion pack (Waking the Tiger). It's a polarizing game though, as it arcades up a lot of the grand strategy elements. Still, it has some really innovative and interesting concepts (the division building and naval planning are two parts I really like).

richfed

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Ditto on Hearts of Iron 4 -- that's pretty much the only game I've played for the last year since I purchased it. As you said, base game is greatly improved. I've been playing lately with the Total War mod. Fantastic Focus Tree for Germany.

Other than that, just a little Civil War II & Order of Battle.

Anxiously awaiting Ageod's new title.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

While waiting for Ageod's game I also find myself very interester bya Agressors Ancient Rome that is being developped by Slitherine... Sort of an old school CIV/colonization feel to it.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Just started playing Conquest of Elysium .. that is one exceptionally tricky 4x, you can get totally stomped at the start and it can all go very wrong even after you think you are well established

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 pm

It is good game I think you can also like Thea: The Awakening. It is about Slavic mythology and has some storytelling. Battles are card game and challenges have many variety. Martial, intellect, stealth, tactics etc.. depends on party members stats.

Pocus

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:46 pm

loki100 wrote:Just started playing Conquest of Elysium .. that is one exceptionally tricky 4x, you can get totally stomped at the start and it can all go very wrong even after you think you are well established

It is a very nice game, I should return to it, I feel I did not gave enough time on it.

I'm currently playing Gladius, quite nice too! The WH40k feeling is definitively there, although I regret that the top tier units are better in all aspects compared to the base grunts. But I always had a weak spot for humble units that manage to do something. It probably has to do with the no stacking rule, where each hex is a precious little thing to garrison with a decent unit. I remember Pandora had stacking and it felt different, an army of basic soldiers if experienced were something to fear (until you did area damages haha)
But overall, very very good game. I can't wait for extra races.
And sorry if the post sounds promotional, the truth is, Gladius is a success for me.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Baris wrote:Thea: The Awakening.

Yeah excellent, maybe the game I lost the much time, that's why I no longer play:
Items is too a micromanagement work, that's the drawback of the richness. I can no more stand this.

Pocus wrote:Conquest of Elysium.

Yes, but it has become a Steam game, so I no longer play.

I'm currently playing Gladius, quite nice too! The WH40k feeling is definitively there, although I regret that the top tier units are better in all aspects compared to the base grunts. But I always had a weak spot for humble units that manage to do something. I can't wait for extra races.
And sorry if the post sounds promotional, the truth is, Gladius is a success for me.

Yeah it's great. I have the 1st DawnOfWar(SoulStorm) feeling, despite it's not a rts. Waiting for my Chaos marines 'Sotnia Noire'

Code: Select all

Race: Chaos
Nom de l'armée: Sotnia Noire (création perso)
Couleurs R/V/B:
PRINCIPALE 42/42/42 (base de la Black Legion)
SECONDAIRE 28/64/32 (prédéfinie"Vert Dark Angels")
GALON1 64/35/27 (création perso: rouille)
ARMEMENT 209/26/26 (prédéfinie"Rouge Sang")
GALON2 25/70/96 (modif du prédef"Bleu Roi")
INSIGNE: Crâne ailé (celui des Night Lords)
BANNIERE: idem

If you play SM, do like me: only use Tacticals and Predators, the 'base' infantry and tanks, that you enhance the much.

lodilefty

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Just reinstalled Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager....
...celebrating the 50th Anniversary of "Mankind's Giant Leap" :pouet: :gardavou: :fleurs:

...takes me back to my days as a nerdly Engineer..... :blink:

Pocus

Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:35 pm

CoE and Dominions are available outside of Steam, I would be surprised they were not.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Pocus wrote:CoE and Dominions are available outside of Steam, I would be surprised they were not.

He reverted his policy? Some years ago for many months it was suddenly only possible to update the game by Steam, he no longer shared the updates on his own website as he had done usually.

Pocus

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 am

From the Illwinter website, you can buy their latest games from GG, so you get an actual installer if this is what you are into.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 pm

Pocus wrote:From the Illwinter website,

" The update (3.26, last of CoE3) is only available on Steam. "

wrlertola
Corporal

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:54 am

Lately I've been playing mostly:
Civil War II
Out of the Park Baseball 19
Conan Exiles (Xath on server 1502 if anyone wants to say "Hi")
and occasionally Thirty Years War, English Civil War and Age of Succession a turn or two at a time.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

ERISS wrote:
Pocus wrote:From the Illwinter website,

" The update (3.26, last of CoE3) is only available on Steam. "

CoE4 and Dominions 5 runs without steam application in the background even purchased from steam. But it should run with steam once with each patch. Good games but need good pbem community. I don't like pbem community from steam. :eyebrow:

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 pm

I'm having a great time playing the new game Aggressors: Ancient Rome. It's a 4x, currently release scenario is set in the time of the Roman Republic generally at the start of the Pyhric and Carthagenian Wars, and the struggles between the various heirs to Alexander. 19 playable factions, including barbarian tribes. It is VERY moddable, and players have already created everything from Battles on the Rhine, set at a later date, a Lord of the Rings scenario, Troy, the Samnite Wars, and someone is working on an Atlantis mod.

I'm doing an AAR now on a Rome playthrough, on HARD difficulty.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 32&t=87704

Oh yeah, there's a custom world option, a la CIV.

It's on Steam and the Slitherine/Matrix/Ageod sites.

Pocus

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:23 am

Playing some Rimworld 0.19 when I get some spare time. Not much far though...

Lafrite

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 am

Pocus wrote:Playing some Rimworld 0.19 when I get some spare time. Not much far though...

A nice list of mod http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/83481 ... st11924017 :niark:

nlancier
Lieutenant

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

We need more games like RoP, AJE, RUS, EAW... which can be played with 3-4 players... :coeurs:.
2vs2 & Napoleonic preferably! :gardavou:
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

Return to “General discussions”