jmknpk
Civilian

How I was able to "register" on the aged forums (5 day process) in order to post

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:16 am

It is wonderful to finally be able to post on the aged forums. It took 5 calendar days before I was eventually able to post on the forums. I believe a thread describing my experience might help other persons attempting to become officially registered who are having similar difficulties.

My initial attempt to register on the forum site resulted in a user account. However, I was not able to post threads on the forum from that account. It took longer to be "registered" or activated in order to actually post.

Upon attempting to register (link "register" near the login field) on the forum site, I received an email (subject: Action Required to Activate Membership for AGEOD Forums) explaining how I might register. This email included a link intended to complete registration. A second link was provided for the case "If the above URL does not work...". This second link was intended to allow me to enter my user name and an activation code which was provided in the email.

Unfortunately, neither of these links actually worked for me. The first link took me to a page that indicated there was some problem with my attempted registration. I wish I had taken a screen print of that message, but did not. If I remember correctly, there was a message along the lines that the web page I had tried to access was not allowed. I next copied the same link from the email I had received and pasted the URL into my browser (following the suggestion in the email). This brought me to the same page (indicating a problem), which did not help.

Then I clicked on the second link provided in the email. This took me to a completely blank page (white screen within my browser and absolutely nothing else).

What I did eventually discover, was that the web page I was brought to by the first link, had a link to a website to enter the "activation code". This allowed me to actually get to a web page through which I could enter the activation code (whereas the link from within the email had not).

I went to this site and entered the activation code provided me. However, this did not result in me being successfully registered.

I next sent an email describing my difficulties to admin@ageod.co.uk, which was listed in the automated email I had received. I have not yet received a response to this email. I saw a thread in the forums about somebody having difficulty registering a game. A reply indicated that a different URL or email address (other than the information the user had received) was required for support interaction regarding that game. Perhaps an outdated email address (for "support staff") was provided in the automated registration email sent to me. I am not even sure if my email to the "support staff" was ever received by a human.

After waiting a couple days, without receiving any assistance, I sent a message via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right of the forum page. Another day passed without response, so I sent a second message via the "Contact Us" link.

Finally, at the end of day 4, I received another automated registration email (nearly identical to the initial email I had received). Of course, the same links from the initial "Action Required to Activate Membership for AGEOD Forums" still did not work. However, this time, when I pasted the activation code into the screen I had reached through the link provided on the web page describing an error (the first link in the email), my registration was completed. My forum account is now activated and I am obviously able to post. This process took 5 calendar days for me.

I am not sure exactly what triggered the second registration email being sent to me. I have not received any response from forum support to indicate that a human had been aware of my problems or anything along those lines. I am aware that many game forums are maintained and managed by a volunteer in the game community, who is providing a service without compensation. I do not expect professional service at the same level as for a service (forums) I am actually paying for. I did purchase a game, whose advertisement included mention of an associated forum for support.

I am fairly certain that there are several problems in the automated registration email sent to me. There could be a possibility that every person attempting to register on the forums might also be receiving an email with problematic links. It would be helpful to those wishing to post on the forums after obtaining a user account, if those errors were investigated and perhaps resolved.

I tested the links in two different operating systems (OS X and MS Windows) and two different popular browsers (Safari and Firefox) on two separate computers (laptop and desktop). This leads me to believe that the problem is most likely contained within the "Action Required to Activate Membership for AGEOD Forums" email itself, rather than a quirk with my specific computer(s), browser(s), or operating system(s).

I am not sure why my first attempt to enter the activation code did not work, yet a second attempt did work. It is certainly possible there might have been user error on my part. I believe I attempted to post the code twice initially (to rule out the possibility that I had made a mistake). Perhaps there was human intervention involved in allowing success on my second attempt (several days later) to enter the activation code.

Without any messages or information from a human regarding my difficulties, I am only left guessing.

I am happy to finally be able to post questions about the Civil War II game I am very excited to learn how to play (and hopefully eventually master). Last night, I discovered (on these forums) a series of tutorial videos on Youtube about playing the game. It is probably best that I was not able to post newbie questions which might all be answered after I have watched those videos.

Thanks to all parties responsible in providing a forum to assist game players!

Durk

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:45 am

Wow, welcome Odysseus, I mean jmknpk. What an ordeal.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Let's hope it's at least as hard for the spams and ads...

jmknpk
Civilian

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:17 pm

yep

rss334
Conscript

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:29 am

I had a similar issue, in the last couple weeks, took me about a week to actually be able to post, thanks to the guys at the Matrix support team for helping. I registered got signed on but everything was locked, never got an email to activate my account. I had to use the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the main Ageod forums, 3 times I asked for help and never got a reply. About to give up I saw a link somewhere that took me to support but it went to Matrix so I tried it and the Matrix guys personally reached out to someone on the Ageod side and my account start working then. Big thanks to the Matrix team.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: How I was able to "register" on the aged forums (5 day process) in order to post

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:28 pm

I admire your tenacity.

But it is absurd that you had to go to so much trouble.

I wonder how many new people have tried to register for this forum and just gave up, I would have. Something is seriously wrong here.

Generalisimo

Re: How I was able to "register" on the aged forums (5 day process) in order to post

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:39 pm

I think all these posts were created with the old forum... as you can see, another reason why we had to update ASAP. :innocent:

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:48 am

Generalisimo wrote:I think all these posts were created with the old forum... as you can see, another reason why we had to update ASAP. :innocent:

Yes, I see your point.

Bazz
Conscript

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:09 am

I had no difficulty registering on the old forum, at the end of September. There was a lag of a couple of days before I was granted all privileges of public users , but I assumed that the delay was because understaffed and overworked forum admin had to look over my registration as a final step of approval to ensure that I wasn't a spammer or spambot.

Maybe someday, AGEOD will create a new game that's a cyberwar simulation:
"Do you have what it takes to defend your domain from Lowlifes & Spambots? Play the latest historic simulation from AGEOD, Trolls & Technogeeks, to find out! This simulation realistically portrays the cyberspace struggles of the early 21st century, pitting sociopathic lowlifes with no social skills against underfunded, overworked IT staffers of a small domain!"

Pocus

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:01 am

hahaha, an epic struggle if there is one! :mdr:

Captain_Orso

Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 am

On a side note, that game already exists. It's an online MMO browser game which you can play without even registering(!!). Simply enter google.com into the browser of your choice and your adventure can start :rolleyes:

If that's too easy, you can always play on hard-mode by simply turning off your fire wall. And if you want a real challenge, you can play on insane-mode by uninstalling your anti-virus SW too :sourcil:

In-game-purchases are active.
ISP fees may apply until you've hacked your neighbor's WiFi

;)

principes romanes
Sergeant

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:15 pm

And by comparison, registering on the new forum has not created any technical glitches - the registration email worked fine.
Currently writing:
The Coming Fury - an excessively detailed AAR on Union strategy

Return to “General discussions”